McKenzie: No closure for fans yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=113818

If you're a non-hockey fan in the company of a hockey fan, please remove all sharp instruments because everyone wants closure on the lockout and they're not going to get it yet.

I believe we're going to see a CBA dance go on and nobody wants to hear that.

I believe there may be one more week of back-and-forth negotiations, which may not be pretty like they were on Friday when things broke up but there is not going to be that closure that everyone desperately wants.

Oh boy.... :banghead:

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
I dont see the logic in cancelling the season as that would mean sure death for the NHL as we know it. Irreperable damage will be caused and i dont think the owners are that crazy. i figure the cap being very high where the players will accept and a deal will be struck by next week. if they dont, their franchises will suffer dearly.

Oilman72

Feb 5, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
habs_24x said:
I dont see the logic in cancelling the season as that would mean sure death for the NHL as we know it. Irreperable damage will be caused and i dont think the owners are that crazy. i figure the cap being very high where the players will accept and a deal will be struck by next week. if they dont, their franchises will suffer dearly.

It might mean sure death for some of the franchises in the States but fans here in Canada will come back if the game is fixed. A hard cap needs to be imposed and it can't be too high or what the hell's the point.

Not to mention it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see some teams that shouldn't have teams fold. :p:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oilman72 said:
It might mean sure death for some of the franchises in the States but fans here in Canada will come back if the game is fixed. A hard cap needs to be imposed and it can't be too high or what the hell's the point.

Not to mention it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see some teams that shouldn't have teams fold. :p:

Sadly, the NHL is not all that concerned with teams in Canada outside of Alberta.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gary Bettman will not cancel the season.It would hurt his case with the NLRB.If he cancels the season,he needs to show the NHL negotiated in good faith and cancelling the season would not show good faith.Everytime a meeting ends Bill Daly is always spinning a positive tune.It's all being done as a show for the NLRB

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
RangerBoy said:
Gary Bettman will not cancel the season.It would hurt his case with the NLRB.If he cancels the season,he needs to show the NHL negotiated in good faith and cancelling the season would not show good faith.Everytime a meeting ends Bill Daly is always spinning a positive tune.It's all being done as a show for the NLRB

And that's the same reason they won't discuss anything other than a salary cap.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
djhn579 said:
And that's the same reason they won't discuss anything other than a salary cap.

exactly .

you take linkage , or , see you in September under our rules , which will obviously contain linkage .

pretty easy decision

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
I think its a stroke of brilliance to not cancel the season. If we are here see-sawing back and forth, imagine the pressure the players are feeling. I think this was a well planned part of the equation, keep the players struggling -at least partially - within themselves. It also doesnt give the NHLPA a point to rally around. Yeah, its hard on us fans, but its way tougher on the players.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
pacde said:
I think its a stroke of brilliance to not cancel the season. If we are here see-sawing back and forth, imagine the pressure the players are feeling. I think this was a well planned part of the equation, keep the players struggling -at least partially - within themselves. It also doesnt give the NHLPA a point to rally around. Yeah, its hard on us fans, but its way tougher on the players.

Right now its also buying some valuable negotiating time. If the season was cancelled last week, they wouldn't even talk until next October at the absolute earliest, and hockey wouldn't be back until January at the earliest. By dragging this on as long as possible, and with even a faint hope of a season this year, the two sides will continue to have a major reason to negoitiate and perhaps save half of next season even if there is no time to save this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->