McKenzie: No closure for fans yet

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Ronnie Bass, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass elite pissy upside

Hedge Fund administrating
    Awards:
    http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=113818

Oh boy.... :banghead:

2. habs_24x

habs_24x Registered User

Home Page:
    I dont see the logic in cancelling the season as that would mean sure death for the NHL as we know it. Irreperable damage will be caused and i dont think the owners are that crazy. i figure the cap being very high where the players will accept and a deal will be struck by next week. if they dont, their franchises will suffer dearly.

3. Oilman72

Oilman72 Registered User

It might mean sure death for some of the franchises in the States but fans here in Canada will come back if the game is fixed. A hard cap needs to be imposed and it can't be too high or what the hell's the point.

Not to mention it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see some teams that shouldn't have teams fold. :p:

4. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

Sadly, the NHL is not all that concerned with teams in Canada outside of Alberta.

5. RangerBoy

RangerBoy TRUST THE PROCESS

Home Page:
    Gary Bettman will not cancel the season.It would hurt his case with the NLRB.If he cancels the season,he needs to show the NHL negotiated in good faith and cancelling the season would not show good faith.Everytime a meeting ends Bill Daly is always spinning a positive tune.It's all being done as a show for the NLRB

6. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

And that's the same reason they won't discuss anything other than a salary cap.

7. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

exactly .

you take linkage , or , see you in September under our rules , which will obviously contain linkage .

pretty easy decision

8. pacde

pacde Registered User

I think its a stroke of brilliance to not cancel the season. If we are here see-sawing back and forth, imagine the pressure the players are feeling. I think this was a well planned part of the equation, keep the players struggling -at least partially - within themselves. It also doesnt give the NHLPA a point to rally around. Yeah, its hard on us fans, but its way tougher on the players.

9. kerrly

kerrly Registered User

Right now its also buying some valuable negotiating time. If the season was cancelled last week, they wouldn't even talk until next October at the absolute earliest, and hockey wouldn't be back until January at the earliest. By dragging this on as long as possible, and with even a faint hope of a season this year, the two sides will continue to have a major reason to negoitiate and perhaps save half of next season even if there is no time to save this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.