TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PLD was 7th NA skater mid season. Than jumped to #1 NA skater in April. That's not 10-15th ish. "Not sure top 10-15?" 7th to 1st is pretty sure top 10-15 pick for you. Even more top 5 pick.

How Dubois rose to the top of NHL Central Scouting's final rankings - Sportsnet.ca

Kotkaniemi is not PLD status in this draft. That's the only thing I'm telling you. I'm not arguing they are similar or not in terms of style, etc. But PLD was rightfully picked where he was supposed to be picked top 3-4. He was #1 NA skater. Period. Again, Puljujaarvi was the flavor of the week back then because of his international play etc. But PLD had the right to be picked before him. And those two were both rankeed in the top 5 of NA and Euro skaters.

Jesperi is really out of nowhere late late in the year that his name has been brought up more and more. And also because we have nothing to discuss about so the media knows it's a good thing to bring him up. I have no problem picking him at 7-9 range but not 3. That's only my opinion. Everybody is entitled to theirs. Just like how so many people say that they like Tkachuk but not at 3rd overall.

Well Kotkaniemi was 10th in April. I agree he started higher but so did Hischier in his draft year. I always put more value in end of season rankings vs all year rankings. We are talking about moving targets here with prospects who are developing at a rapid rate at age 17/18. Kotkaniemi is a very fast rising stock who is a young player in this draft. It's not the same as PLD but it's a good comparison. A guy who not many predicted to go 3rd but did and the Blue Jackets knew what they were doing. The trends and hype on PLD heading towards the draft was something they believed in and they needed a center as well. Pool party was the popular best player at 3rd, not the best player available. This is something most don't see.

Blue Jackets made the educated pick at 3rd. Oilers and Canucks made the easy popular picks at 4th and 5th. in 2016

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best Player Available, not best Popular..

Zadina is the Best Popular Player available. He is not the Best Player available. That comes down to a few players. Believe in the hype today, not the hype back in December or Janurary. BPA are Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson. I really do believe this.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Zadina is the Best Popular Player available. He is not the Best Player available. That comes down to a few players. Believe in the hype today, not the hype back in December or Janurary. BPA are Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson. I really do believe this.

No, I mean BPA stands for Best Player Availalbe. lol

Reactions: Peanut and xNogaitx

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, I mean BPA stands for Best Player Availalbe. lol

I know what it means. The point is Zadina is not the BPA, he is one of them. But he is the most popular player.

I'm sure you get involved in hockey pools. Do you go look at last year standings and draft based on who is left on the scoring list when it gets to you or do you target young assets where you think they will break out? Do you target a guy like Weber or Burns who might be popular pick or do you take a guy like Jones who has a lot of hype and is younger? How do you measure the gap on age and future potential?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
doesn't really matter who MB takes.....it doesn't really matter if MB trades the pick,

like i said before.....MB will be MB and do what he does best, and find a way to screw up the pick, one way or another

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
doesn't really matter who MB takes.....it doesn't really matter if MB trades the pick,

like i said before.....MB will be MB and do what he does best, and find a way to screw up the pick, one way or another

So, no matter who he picks it's a "screw up"?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
PLD was 7th NA skater mid season. Than jumped to #1 NA skater in April. That's not 10-15th ish. "Not sure top 10-15?" 7th to 1st is pretty sure top 10-15 pick for you. Even more top 5 pick.

How Dubois rose to the top of NHL Central Scouting's final rankings - Sportsnet.ca

Kotkaniemi is not PLD status in this draft. That's the only thing I'm telling you. I'm not arguing they are similar or not in terms of style, etc. But PLD was rightfully picked where he was supposed to be picked top 3-4. He was #1 NA skater. Period. Again, Puljujaarvi was the flavor of the week back then because of his international play etc. But PLD had the right to be picked before him. And those two were both rankeed in the top 5 of NA and Euro skaters.

Jesperi is really out of nowhere late late in the year that his name has been brought up more and more. And also because we have nothing to discuss about so the media knows it's a good thing to bring him up. I have no problem picking him at 7-9 range but not 3. That's only my opinion. Everybody is entitled to theirs. Just like how so many people say that they like Tkachuk but not at 3rd overall.

Serious question, but do you have any real arguments against JK othet than lists like Central Scouting ?

You realize players rising, even in a major way, happens quite often, right ?

Scheifele and Huberdeau are two really easy ones to cite.

JK has been rising since at least December. But, hes been in discussion in the first round for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Never knew it'd be so hard to pick 3rd overall. Only if we had the 2nd overall pick......... less trouble

Timmins alluded to this at the combine. He said this year, there is a clear #1 and #2 is a safe bet on it being Svechnikov. He then followed that up by saying from 3 to 11, it could be anyone going anywhere depending on who each team's lists.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That's the worst thing you can do, not draft for needs. Keep drafting BPA and you'll end up like Edmonton.
You ALWAYS draft the BPA for the position you NEED. If the player you need isn't ranked as high as your pick, you use that as an opportunity to get more picks/assets by trading down with a team that's wants/needs the player available at your pick. Anything else is bad asset management.
If you're drafting 3rd overall and your most pressing need is a center but the best center in the draft is ranked no better than 7th you do not draft the center. Either you draft the BPA at 3rd or you trade down.

Since very few drafted players are ready to contribute immediately there's little point in drafting for immediate need. By the time the guy you draft today is ready to take his place on the everyday roster, the need you had when you took him could be already filled.

You address short-term needs in later rounds or deeper in the first round. But if you're picking 3rd you take the best player regardless of position every single time. Good players are good players. They have value, whether on your team or someone else's via trade. You don't waste a 3rd overall pick on a lesser player simply because he plays a certain position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad