TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
God has spoken, then.

Bobby Mac has biases like everyone else.

Also, some pundits are friends with some hockey managers, and as much as some get info, some might get disinfo to influence other managers.

I take those rankings with a grain of salt.

I still have Hughes and Booo very high, higher than Zadina. Wally too. I've watched Tkachuk and Koka some more lately and yes, I see why some see great value in the latter, but for the former, me thinks some put too much stock in Mendelian inheritance. He'll be a good player, but Im pretty sure all the other players I named will be as good if not better.

Bob doesn't have biases. He polls scouts. This isn't his list.

Reactions: kgboomer

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Why is Tkachuk at 3??

Is it because the scouts don’t know what they’re doing??

(Legit question)

(Legit answer)

Despite all the grief and complaining we do, Tkachuk is actually a good prospect. Is he #3? I don’t think so but I can see why he’s rated high:

1. Big, with a bit of edge to him.
2. Skilled.
3. Decent skater.
4. Played above his age-group.
5. Performed well against his peers in tournaments.

I don’t think he’s elite in any one area, which is kinda what I want from a #3. Many players I prefer over him and despite Bob’s ranking at #3, his ranking is a weighted consensus. What his equation was I don’t know, but I don’t believe Tkachuk was a unanimous #3, so not all scouts had him there. Also, Bob’s list was a poll of 10 scouts, not 31.

Anyhow, end of the day, doesn’t matter what 30 other scouts think or what we think... it’s about what the Habs think.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'M a NCAA fan. Big time. True that the number of points achieved last year by Tkachuk was impressive. It doesn't happen regularly that a kid that young has the number of points he had.

But then, contrary to what you said, and the following is still just an opinion, false that Hockey East was the most difficult division. Big Ten, WCHC', NCHC, you can have all arguments to know which division was the most difficult this year. Also, as much as he was playing against 22-23 years old, 2 things must be noted....he was still amongst the biggest guy out there. And this year particularly, I feel that the bottom lines and bottom pairings in tihe NCAA were surprisingly worst than previous years. But in the end, while a very good player (nobody says that he should be a 2nd rounder), he benefitted from the environment he was playing in. But yes, to me too....his stats can't be disregarded. And it should be enough, paired with the type of player he is, to put him in the top 10. Besides, if somebody disagrees with him being No3....it might not always mean that he is a ND for them.....but just that there are better players. More a testament to how good the top 10.
Would you chose him if you were Montreal?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If you think some GM's or coaches are "old school" you should see some of the scouts currently on the payroll of many NHL teams. They work outside the spotlight so it's much easier for dinosaur thinking to go unchecked among their ranks. I really do wonder if Tkachuk would be rated as highly as he is had he not been Keith Tkachuk's son. Having that name (like having Domi for a last name) causes people to make assumptions about the person due to their "bloodlines" (a term that I noticed Bergevin using to describe Domi over the weekend) It's probably the same blind spot that caused the Habs to draft Danny Geoffrion back in 1978.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's because you legit don't watch NCAA hockey and don't have the ability to understand why it would be impressive for a 17-18 year old to put up those numbers playing against 22-23 year olds in the most difficult division in the college ranks.

Tkachuk was 18 before the season started. But numbers aren't everything,

Tkachuk - .78 ppg
Hughes - .78 ppg
Poehling - .86 (age 18 season but Sophmore)
Leblanc - .74 (age 18 season)
Kristo - .88 (age 19 season/Freshman)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
(Legit answer)

Despite all the grief and complaining we do, Tkachuk is actually a good prospect. Is he #3? I don’t think so but I can see why he’s rated high:

1. Big, with a bit of edge to him.
2. Skilled.
3. Decent skater.
4. Played above his age-group.
5. Performed well against his peers in tournaments.

I don’t think he’s elite in any one area, which is kinda what I want from a #3. Many players I prefer over him and despite Bob’s ranking at #3, his ranking is a weighted consensus. What his equation was I don’t know, but I don’t believe Tkachuk was a unanimous #3, so not all scouts had him there. Also, Bob’s list was a poll of 10 scouts, not 31.

Anyhow, end of the day, doesn’t matter what 30 other scouts think or what we think... it’s about what the Habs think.

''Not elite in one area'' is usually what transforms a guy that has a lot of points in inferior levels, to a guy who will play in the NHL but in a bottom 6 usage. And that's why some are scared. And again, it's mostly because of who will still be available. Kot has exceptional IQ. Hughes has exceptional skating, Zadina and Wahlstrom have exceptional shooting skills etc......Those guys, you can usually work with their other areas of their game. While the guy who does everything well with no exceptional skills, rarely will they be able to be exceptional which is usually what you are looking for in a top 5 pick.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Do people really care if the guy we draft this year is NHL ready? I for one would love a prospect that can stay buried far away from Montreal for a couple years. Bergevin's job is on the line though so I expect him to take Tkachuk

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Too much stress over #3 pick. IMO habs need a vision change. Seems like they'll take this #3 and try to compete ASAP again which is a big mistake.

They need this #3 and another top 5 for next 2 seasons while trading players for more picks. They'd have a new core within 3 years with young guys like Gallagher, Domi, Danault, Drouin being the 'young vets' on the team by then.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only hope of this is an actual smokescreen but for trading down. If you make the teams behind you worried they are gonna take your guy, then maybe you can see someone move up. But it still doesn't make sense because again, as soon as they call and you're willing.. unless the discussion is.. we are taking Tkachuk at 3 if we have the pick, but we like another guy a lot and we would be willing to move the rights to pick Tkachuk for a little extra.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I’m already sold on Kotkaniemi.

He has Lars Eller size and athletic abilities but with WAY more hockey IQ. The plays that he makes at his age is unreal for me. It takes a special talent to make plays at that pace at 17 years old only.
I've been saying this for awhile now, we will regret not picking him. We will be swearing when he becomes a better Eller and possibly a true big #1 center.

But let's get Zadina another winger..:facepalm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If we draft Kotkaniemi, do we let him play in Finland another year to play against men or bring him over to juniors to learn the North American game?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure but our scouts are not to be trusted.

2cioiy.gif

:wg:

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Engels was on 590, said that spot is McCarron's??
Actually this is not stupid, if they worked hard closely with him to improve his skating he had quite a lot of success with Domi in the juniors, its the only time where he looked to be a genuine offensive threat.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Why is Tkachuk at 3??

Is it because the scouts don’t know what they’re doing??

(Legit question)
Because there are too many intagibles to pass on. He is big, skates well, has a good shot, passes well and plays a physical game, He reminds me of john LeClair. The issue here is to have a very effective John LeClair you need a Lindros (good center) beside him.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad