TSN: McKenzie :If Habs take a center it's no longer an off the board pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2010
Drafting a center for 3rd OA scares me. Way too much pressure will be put on that kid. Won't last here. Sorry for being negative..

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Why is Tkachuk at 3??

Is it because the scouts don’t know what they’re doing??

(Legit question)

It's because you legit don't watch NCAA hockey and don't have the ability to understand why it would be impressive for a 17-18 year old to put up those numbers playing against 22-23 year olds in the most difficult division in the college ranks.

Reactions: jaffy27

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
every bust the habs have drafted (David Fisher)including first rounders ..scouts watched live...
If crystal balls were real, scouts would be out of work. Some kids aren't going to work out for different reasons.

To make the NHL is very tough you need a lot to go right for you. Health is a big one for example, how many kids were close only to have a season ending knee injury and then they go play pro in Europe instead? Mark Katic was a 2nd overall pick into the OHL and drafted in the third round to the Isles. He is a smallish dman but his skating is fantastic. He would be 29 I believe now, had he brought the skills he had to the table now he would be probly be in the NHL.

The game changes so fast. A guy like Tinordi at the time of his draft the game was heavier and meaner, but just in the few seasons after his draft coaches started to use speed more and more and the needs of a roster changed.

All I am saying is, there will always be a bust in every draft. Heck there is almost always 1-2 guys drafted in the top 20 that never play a game in the NHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tkachuk is at 3 because the majority of scouts still subscribe to old school mentalities and they see a guy who has those physical qualities they like and will ignore the offensive upside.

Remember, scouts will always overrate big physical bodies.. for them it's not so much how well they can play the game just the manner in which they play it.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Why is Tkachuk at 3??

Is it because the scouts don’t know what they’re doing??

(Legit question)
Tkachuk is at 3 because the majority of scouts still subscribe to old school mentalities and they see a guy who has those physical qualities they like and will ignore the offensive upside.

Remember, scouts will always overrate big physical bodies.. for them it's not so much how well they can play the game just the manner in which they play it.

What if they see both talent and size at the same time?

Reactions: MadMslm and jaffy27

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Tkachuk at 3 gives MB his cover fire to pick him.... Lol

With Kotkaniemi rising he should be the pick if we dont take zadina especially with Kotka being on the younger side .

But .. Tkachuk bleeds .. a MB pick through and through . if you want to see MB look like a million bucks wat h his reaction draft Tkachuk and talking about him lol it will be glorious :(

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It's because you legit don't watch NCAA hockey and don't have the ability to understand why it would be impressive for a 17-18 year old to put up those numbers playing against 22-23 year olds in the most difficult division in the college ranks.

You think that’s impressive? Shane Bowers had more than twice his goals and was picked at the end of the 1st round. They are basically the same age. So why would you pick Tkachuk at 3? Because of his name and size. That’s not a real reason.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bergs doesn't develop the assets. Sly did and he WAS replaced by someone who's had a great track record of developing young players. So I guess thee goes your theory.
Syl never got his hands on none of them. Gal made NHL his first year pro. Drouin never played a game for Syl. Sergachev maybe a few but not many.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
There's talent but it's not the same level of talent as the other guys. And not every big guy has to play like Tkachuk. It's just the optics of his game but I'd argue that Wahlstrom is the more effective player.

Wahlstrom Zadina and Kotkaniemi look to have more raw talent for sure but it depends what you want. Tkatchuk looks like he will be an effective power forward which is fun to have in your prospect pool.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's Mckenzie. I imagine he knows what he is doing
God has spoken, then.

Bobby Mac has biases like everyone else.

Also, some pundits are friends with some hockey managers, and as much as some get info, some might get disinfo to influence other managers.

I take those rankings with a grain of salt.

I still have Hughes and Booo very high, higher than Zadina. Wally too. I've watched Tkachuk and Koka some more lately and yes, I see why some see great value in the latter, but for the former, me thinks some put too much stock in Mendelian inheritance. He'll be a good player, but Im pretty sure all the other players I named will be as good if not better.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I'M a NCAA fan. Big time. True that the number of points achieved last year by Tkachuk was impressive. It doesn't happen regularly that a kid that young has the number of points he had.

But then, contrary to what you said, and the following is still just an opinion, false that Hockey East was the most difficult division. Big Ten, WCHC', NCHC, you can have all arguments to know which division was the most difficult this year. Also, as much as he was playing against 22-23 years old, 2 things must be noted....he was still amongst the biggest guy out there. And this year particularly, I feel that the bottom lines and bottom pairings in tihe NCAA were surprisingly worst than previous years. But in the end, while a very good player (nobody says that he should be a 2nd rounder), he benefitted from the environment he was playing in. But yes, to me too....his stats can't be disregarded. And it should be enough, paired with the type of player he is, to put him in the top 10. Besides, if somebody disagrees with him being No3....it might not always mean that he is a ND for them.....but just that there are better players. More a testament to how good the top 10.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad