McKenzie: I dont see any hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
BobMckenzie said:
Yeah, it looked like a play at the plate early Monday night but by the time midnight rolled around, odds were heavily favoured against there being a season. They were getting driven closer together, but only to a point and then the NHL ultimatum, and the players' response to it, drove a wedge in the process and with each passing minute the two sides got more and more polarized. Players who were sagging and questioning the PA suddenly hopped back on the Bob bandwagon, owners who were watching Bettman up the ante tapdanced on him to make sure this wasn't going to be the 1994 folderoo all over again. It was a going to take a rabbit out of the hat after that and when they didn't talk at all overnight or the morning, it was done like dinner by the 11 a.m. deadline. Funny thing is a lot of players, even after 11 a.m., even after 12 noon, even as Gary was walking to the hotel for the announcement, were convinced something was going to happen. Fantasy, man.

Bob is it hard not to just grab Glen Healy and shake him till he stops talking. He is the worst union shill I have ever seen. If he was smarter and made better point maybe it would be ok but come on. His comment about guys like Mess, Stevie Y and others not getting to skate off waving to fans was brutal. I am shocked that Brurke hasn't choked him yet.
You on the other hand have done the best work I have ever seen you do. I have been very impressed. We have met a number of times at different hockey events and I have been very impressed with your work during the lock-out.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
I sat through the entire 13 hours watching Bob and his cohorts reporting on the longest game in history. Great reporting throughout this ordeal for the last few months.

I must apologize for not phoning in any pledges! That was a great closing line Bob, made me roar with laughter on a dark, dark day. Thanks! :lol :handclap:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
While we're on the subject of TSN, boy James Duthie seemed pretty angry with developments in the segments I saw.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
Doing 13 straight hours of live television.

:cry: :eek: :help: :banghead:

As for the questions whether I really know anything or I'm just guessing the same as you, well, put it this way. Until Bettman cancelled the season officially, there was always a chance something could have changed, the same sort of chance you have of winning the lottery (twice) and you have to allow for that possiblity remote as it may be, but anyone with any contacts at all would know to play up the pessimism angle this morning and play it up big. I mean, if both sides are telling you flat out they're not talking, you can dream up conspiracy theories about the media being used etc., but you would be surprised how often people involved actually tell us the truth. From Goodenow's second letter of Monday night to the 1 p.m. deadline, the season never had a chance.

I would say I know half as much as I think and twice as much as I let on.

:D

I truely didn't think they'd shut the season down, everything had gone exactly as I thought it would. Posturing and bulls**t right up until the deadline (once it was set). Then a frantic back and forth till finally the deal was done in the 11th and a half hour. Everything went according to plan till the very end. You proved why you're on tv for 13 straight hours, and I'm at home, eyes glazed over, shaking my head.

I still maintain that there was reason for hope. It might have been slight, but there was reason to think a season might be saved. Bob had reason to be pessimistic, but many on the boards were pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic. I really wish the optimists, or even the moderates, could have won the day.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
WhalerBoy said:
I liked him, as I usually do. He seems to show and express the frustration many of us feel.

Duthie's does a real good job. Often the smart-ass, "funny" bit doesn't work well. He pulls it off somehow, and pulls it off well. He did look pretty rough today, though.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
I truely didn't think they'd shut the season down, everything had gone exactly as I thought it would. Posturing and bulls**t right up until the deadline (once it was set). Then a frantic back and forth till finally the deal was done in the 11th and a half hour. Everything went according to plan till the very end. You proved why you're on tv for 13 straight hours, and I'm at home, eyes glazed over, shaking my head.

I still maintain that there was reason for hope. It might have been slight, but there was reason to think a season might be saved. Bob had reason to be pessimistic, but many on the boards were pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic. I really wish the optimists, or even the moderates, could have won the day.

EXACTLY!

I like you kept thinking "this is going exactly like I thought it would". Until about noon today, when I kinda realized.....OH CRAP!

that must be why Im still intrigued by tonight's ridiculous "reports".

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
WhalerBoy said:
EXACTLY!

I like you kept thinking "this is going exactly like I thought it would". Until about noon today, when I kinda realized.....OH CRAP!

that must be why Im still intrigued by tonight's ridiculous "reports".

And we're not alone. I mean, when I saw Gretzky talking, I identified completely with the look on his face, and the tone in his voice. Like "holy crap, how did they let it get to this point.....holy..........well, holy crap". Brian Burke looked completely bewildered as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->