McKenzie: 2 Groups forming within NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
AH said:
wow !!! Are you guys all unemployed or something? How do you find time to post so much?

And for those that are employed, how do you keep your jobs, especially considering some of the idiotic statements in this thread.

I will not point out who I am talking about ... :propeller

:biglaugh: Best post in this thread. The people you won't name are probably unemployed cause the same 5 or 6 posters have been arguing the same points and insulting each other since this thing started.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
Both of which were included in the NHL's December offer. And with a much higher floor.
Asked and answered 100 times already .. Go back an read this thread and the Brooks thread for more info and just so you know that isn't my quote that is directly cut and paste from this article on TSN ..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=126559&hubName=nhl

Take a look it will help you get up to speed on the issues . .

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
Well what do you know...Linden and Guerin have created their monster and now its grown so large that they can't control it anymore.

Its a wee little late for for Trevor and Billy to be suddenly trying to turn the masses of the PA who lovingly were lapping up the anti-NHL BS.

Those idiots should have had more responsibility than to say things like "I'd rather see the NHL go under than tp play under a Cap".

Now that its hitting them in the pocketbook they want to put the stops on their Frankenstein.

If it weren't so sad for the reat of us I'd day its poetic justice of sorts.

This is why you hire an expert professional to do a job that some moron hockey player should never get near...and of course I'm talking about Bob Yourfirednow as well.

F'ng morons.

GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002

Although you continually use the $42.5 number allegedly with no floor (which is unsubstantiated) from the last offer, you go back to much earlier offers to refer to the 75% QO's, etc. The facts are this: in the $42.5 offer, they were working from the deal points as published by the NHLPA. If you look at said deal points, they are essentially where we are now on those issues.

I guess reading comprehension is your real problem :

Right straight from the Brooks article we are discussing her

Quote:

In either case, it is extremely unlikely that the upper limit will be as high as the strings-attached $42.5M offered by the league just prior to cancellation of 2004-05, though that offer neither allowed for annual hikes based on revenue increases nor mandated a club payroll floor. Expect an initial upper limit of between $36-38M, with a floor of approximately $24-28M per team under either scenario.

Both sides have confirmed that qualifying offers and salary arbitration will be based on the union's Dec. 9 proposal rather than on any of the subsequent more restrictive league offers. QO's therefore will be 100 percent for players earning over $1M, and either 105 percent of 110 precent for those below that standard, as opposed to league offers that had featured qualifiers at either 75 percent or 85 percent for those earning more than $1M.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/24571.htm

I made them nice and big and highlighted them in RED so you don't need your glasses
Boy, that is some mighty fine font usage. I doubt that will help much on your grade ten finals, though, so i suggest you stick to crayons for that.

Brooks is doing the same thing as you, Massager. In trying to prove a point which is incorrect, he is mixing and matching the offers in a manner suitable to him. :shakehead

you seem to think that posting news articles without attributed quotes from people who know is probative. It is not. Check my posts on this thread. I quote from PA and NHL publications or interviews with principals where the words come out of their mouth (you do remember your drubbing on the issue of whether the NHLPA accepted the NHL financial numbers, don't you?).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Asked and answered 100 times already .. Go back an read this thread and the Brooks thread for more info and just so you know that isn't my quote that is directly cut and paste from this article on TSN ..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=126559&hubName=nhl

Take a look it will help you get up to speed on the issues . .

Yet that article offered no such information. Have you been reduced to cut and pasting random articles in the hope sheer volume will overwhelm anyone arguing against your points?

Argue against the fact the NHL December plan had a floor.
Argue against the fact the NHL December plan had a floating ceiling that could rise with revenue.

If Goodenow couldn't have cut a better deal than the current rumoured one by working off the NHLs December offer at the time shouldn't be allowed to handle his own bus money.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
Argue against the fact the NHL December plan had a floating ceiling that could rise with revenue.

If Goodenow couldn't have cut a better deal than the current rumoured one by working off the NHLs December offer at the time shouldn't be allowed to handle his own bus money.
Are you trying to say now that the NHL counter proposal to the NHLPA Dec 9th offer of the 24% rollback was better then the deal now rumoured by Brooks.. ??

We have been comparing the Feb FINAL OFFER of $42.5 mil (no floor, no linkage offer) that cancelled the season to the brooks article ..

Both side where summoned to NY just before the season was cancelled .. When they returned the NHL dropped linkage and offered a final 42.5 mil Final Offer and in turn the NHLPA finally accepted a Cap but a high one eventually ending at $49.0 mil when the season was cancelled .. Since linkage was dropped so was the salary floor.

The article I posted was to confirm that the Feb league proposal

The NHLPA is probably willing to bite the bullet on a low cap figure to start off next season as long there's room to grow in future years with bigger revenues leading to a higher salary cap, something that the league wasn't willing to do before. Also, the union feels strongly about having a minimum payroll figure, which the league did not have in its February proposals.
You are not even on the same page here I think.....Why would I argue about the Dec NHL counter proposal ?? We are talking about what happened in February..

But if you are interested in that ..

Here is a detail breakdown between those two things you want answers to

http://nhlcbanews.com/news/comparison.html

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Are you trying to say now that the NHL counter proposal to the NHLPA Dec 9th offer of the 24% rollback was better then the deal now rumoured by Brooks.. ??

We have been comparing the Feb FINAL OFFER of $42.5 mil (no floor, no linkage offer) that cancelled the season to the brooks article ..

You are not even on the same page here I think.....Why would I argue that ??

But if you are interested in that ..

Here is a detail breakdown between those two things you want answers to

http://nhlcbanews.com/news/comparison.html

Just pointing out how badly the NHLPA have flunked this. People claimed they wanted the floor more than than the high ceiling, that the floor was the real win. That had a $32-35m floor back in December. Now we are talking a $24m floor. Yep, the NHLPA is sure winning this battle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
Just pointing out how badly the NHLPA have flunked this. People claimed they wanted the floor more than than the high ceiling, that the floor was the real win. That had a $32-35m floor back in December. Now we are talking a $24m floor. Yep, the NHLPA is sure winning this battle.
Well you are certainly allowed to your opinion ..

But I think you are misrepresenting the facts .. posters here are claiming that the reduction in the Hard Cap ceiling for $42.5 (final off) to 38.5 mil (now) is compensated by the amount of teams that where below the current 24-28 mil floor and would need to spend to get up to it..

We all know that the big market teams have not problem spending to the ceiling this is from the viewpoint of topping up the bottom teams with revenue sharing to be above the floor ..

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Well you are certainly allowed to your opinion ..

But I think you are misrepresenting the facts .. posters here are claiming that the reduction in the Hard Cap ceiling for $42.5 (final off) to 38.5 mil (now) is compensated by the amount of teams that where below the current 24-28 mil floor and would need to spend to get up to it..

We all know that the big market teams have not problem spending to the ceiling this is from the viewpoint of topping up the bottom teams with revenue sharing to be above the floor ..

Pissing away an entire season's pay and getting a worse deal is seen as a win for the NHLPA by some around here. I'd also bet they could have gotten a floor around $22.5m added to Bettman's $42.5m cap if they had been wanting to get a deal done. Bettman was sure itchy to get one done, ie chucking in an extra $2.5m to the cap without approval.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
Pissing away an entire season's pay and getting a worse deal is seen as a win for the NHLPA by some around here. I'd also bet they could have gotten a floor around $22.5m added to Bettman's $42.5m cap if they had been wanting to get a deal done. Bettman was sure itchy to get one done, ie chucking in an extra $2.5m to the cap without approval.
Don't count your pissway away a season before eggs are hatched

Still on the table being negoitated is the 04-05 contracts .. as per brooks and TSN anyways ..

There has not yet been an agreement on which player costs will be included within the cap. Nor has there been agreement on a revenue-sharing formula or the disposition of 2004-05 contracts.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/24571.htm
Smart money is on today's announcement that 2003 unsigned draft picks is tied to this and the soon to be RFA without qualifiers as leverage for the NHLPA to bargain the honouring of those contracts via a year extension ..

Sounds like you would be disappointed by that despite getting to keep Naslund 1 more year ..

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Don't count your pissway away a season before eggs are hatched

Still on the table being negoitated is the 04-05 contracts .. as per brooks and TSN anyways ..

Smart money is on today's announcement that 2003 unsigned draft picks is tied to this and the soon to be RFA without qualifiers as leverage for the NHLPA to bargain the honouring of those contracts via a year extension ..

The season is still dead, extended the contracts or not, players lose a season of their life. Extending the contracts for a year is great for geriatrics like Belfour to cash in one more big year, how old will he be by the end of it, and how much is he making? Pretty good for the older guys on overpriced contracts. It's almost like throwing them a bribe of extending their contracts at the expense of the next generation.

What about the other 90%-95% of players who wouldn't retire? One year off their career. Gone, not coming back. So they get a year added to their contracts, so what? Its just a year they would have played anyway. So either they lose the 2004-05 season money or they lose the money from the season their contract is extended too.

The young guys must hate the idea, one more year stuck on low rookie salary or other low salary instead being able to ask for a raise. Good to see the old guys like Guerin fighting so hard for the future guys.

Either way, one season = dead = no money.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
However, rumours of unrest among the players persist amid looming deadlines for NHL sponsorship renewals as the league and its players' union head back to the bargaining table starting today in Toronto.

Unrest among players — an ongoing topic since the lockout began last September — surfaced again last week at the Memorial Cup in London with rumours that some union members all but issued an ultimatum to NHLPA executive director union chief Bob Goodenow to get a deal done.

And Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe said on The Fan radio yesterday that he is receptive to a new deal that will likely include pay cuts, salary caps and linkage between salaries and league revenue

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...044442957278&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Bryan McCabe :handclap:

SENSible1*

The Messenger said:
Smart money is on today's announcement that 2003 unsigned draft picks is tied to this and the soon to be RFA without qualifiers as leverage for the NHLPA to bargain the honouring of those contracts via a year extension ....

Smart money is on the contract being voided and the teams retaining all player rights, including drafted players.

You have completely misread the situation. The players have caved and the owners are willing to throw them a face saving bone or two, in this case arbitration and QO will use the PA system (both of which are better for the NHL than the previous CBA).

The teams will not give in on either of those far more important issues. Keep thinking this is a negotiation of parties with equal leverage....Nothing could be futher from the truth. The PA is in shambles and is in no postition to make any demands in either of these areas.

I'll be sure to remind you of this fact once the final CBA comes out and will watch with amusement as you spin the result as all being part of Goodenow's master plan.

For a concrete example of the scale of the rout the PA is currently experiencing check out the comments by MR "I'll never play in a capped NHL" Bryan McCabe.
And Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe said on The Fan radio yesterday that he is receptive to a new deal that will likely include pay cuts, salary caps and linkage between salaries and league revenue.

It's over....do yourself a huge favour and stop giving us so much ammunition for later discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
me2 said:
Yet that article offered no such information. Have you been reduced to cut and pasting random articles in the hope sheer volume will overwhelm anyone arguing against your points?

The December NHL offer, although it had a higher floor, was not necessarily better than the "current" deal on the table, from the players' perspective. Hilights:

* 51-57% min and max salary range, which worked out to $32.4 million floor and $36.4 million ceiling, based on league's forecast of $2.032 billion in revenues and $2.2 million per team costs of non-salary benefits. Too tiny of a range to operate within, if you ask me. Allows for no fluctuation to add salary if you are close to a cup, or slash salary if you're hopelessly out of the playoff picture.

* Unbalanced rollback that would cut the top salaries by 35%, which the players hated.

* Escrow accounts, in case revenues come in lower than expected, players could give back another 5% or so of their contracts, even after rolling them back 35%.

* UFA at age 30

* NO SALARY ARBITRATION

* QO's at an "unspecified" rate below 100% (based on later proposals, the league was shooting for 75% QO's)

* Unspecified revenue sharing that was based predominantly on playoff revenue, which would take money from Calgary and Tampa to give to the NY Rangers.

If you, in good conscience, are convinced that this offer has to be better than the "current" possible deal then you refuse to actually look at the two with your eyes open.

The main things to consider are what the min and max will be as revenues get back to normal, and how long they will take to get there. I assume the current deal is using a much smaller number than $2.1 billion for revenues, so the "current" cap of roughly $37 million will be much higher than the Dec proposal of $36.4 million based on $2.1 billion in revenues. Not to mention the concessions the players will be getting in so many other areas, such as UFA age (28), QO's (at least 100%) and arbitration (will not be eliminated).

Goodenow, back in Dec, could not have cut a better deal either if he chose to negotiate off the owners plan. The owners back then weren't exactly in a giving mood, but were in full "stick it to the players" mode, and had basically said that the systemic issues (arbitration, QO's, etc) were the important pieces. Aside from raising the cap (and eliminating the floor altogether) subsequent NHL offers did nothing to improve on this one until the season was cancelled.

GSC2k2*

Steve L said:
Wait, I thought he was going on strike for the rest of his life if they introduced a cap?!?!
No, he said he would never play in a capped NHL. Based on his "performance" in Europe, his prediction may yet be true. ;)

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Newsguyone said:
Good lord. Fishler is probably still schilling for Zeigler.
But McKenzie really has been completely one-sided in his reporting.

That is preposterious.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
RangerBoy said:
Or it could be the nimrod twins in Toronto.Bryan McCabe and Darcy Tucker.

I know Tucker isn't well liked by non-leaf fans but to be fair Darcy has had nothing but minimal involvment so far.

He hasn't even played hockey.

He has taken this time to be spent with his Family seeing the lockout as a blessing in disguise as he got to see his daughters school recitals among other events he would have missed while playing the NHL Season.

He also worked behind the sceenes at sportsnet one day and was interviewed with his wife by Martine on the Score(they played a variation of the "Newly Weds" game.)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
2 groups forming within the NHLPA? So everyoner must be suggesting that there was no splits all year, and suddenly this has formed. The split already showed when the players agreed to a cap in February. A rollback, new arbitration system, and a cap! And still the owners are saying not enough. So you admit a hard cap was never a good solution? They must threaten the players more or lose another year?

Now calling this and anti deal, thats kind of propaganda isnt it. I could easily say the players are 100% pro deal. Its the owners that are anti the players deal.

I think when Bob is saying pro-deal, he means, pro-give-up and get it over with. I dont think so.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
RangerBoy said:
However, rumours of unrest among the players persist amid looming deadlines for NHL sponsorship renewals as the league and its players' union head back to the bargaining table starting today in Toronto.

Unrest among players — an ongoing topic since the lockout began last September — surfaced again last week at the Memorial Cup in London with rumours that some union members all but issued an ultimatum to NHLPA executive director union chief Bob Goodenow to get a deal done.

And Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe said on The Fan radio yesterday that he is receptive to a new deal that will likely include pay cuts, salary caps and linkage between salaries and league revenue

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...044442957278&DPL=IvsNDS/7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Bryan McCabe :handclap:

Thats quite a statement from caber. He's obviouisly not stubbornly holding to ideologies, but looking for his best deal. That's gotta be a good thing.

I thoughtthe quote in this article:
It's expected Detroit Red Wings veteran Brendan Shanahan, who orchestrated meetings on the future of the game over the winter, will remain a part of the negotiating process in Toronto. Shanahan has been directly involved in bargaining for about a month now even though he is not a member of the NHLPA's executive committee.
It sounds like Brendan should try and take advantage of this opportunity. The owners will hope to use him to create a split. He can get some good rule changes in.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Another interesting point in that article was:
With television dollars shrinking, the league is turning to sponsors to become the main source of revenue.
Wonder how they'll account for that revenue stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad