McKegg

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Hi this is my first time on this side of the boards, but I was wondering what you guys think of Greg McKegg from the Erie Otters. He is a Toronto draft pick

I am really high on him, and was wondering if anyone else thinks he has a good chance of being a good second line player?

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
He seems like a guy if he can put on a little bit more weight he could be a legitimate top 6 scorer his potential is somewhere between first and second line scorer considering how he is stepping up his game in the OHL but potential is just that if he can achieve it he looks like a significant catalyst because he can line up at all three forward positions efficiently.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He seems like a guy if he can put on a little bit more weight he could be a legitimate top 6 scorer his potential is somewhere between first and second line scorer considering how he is stepping up his game in the OHL but potential is just that if he can achieve it he looks like a significant catalyst because he can line up at all three forward positions efficiently.

Sounds like a player similar to Patrick Sharp?

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
I agree his speed isnt at par but he seems like someone who could end up being a steal at where he was taken considering the numbers he put up last season and this season. I don't really know what the knock on him was though for him falling to a third round pick, he has decent size listed at 6'0" and 195 lbs. by the OHL website. I remember seeing him as a high pick in the second round but I'm not sure about it so if anyone can let me know why he fell to where he did and where he was supposed to be picked before the draft that would be great.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I agree his speed isnt at par but he seems like someone who could end up being a steal at where he was taken considering the numbers he put up last season and this season. I don't really know what the knock on him was though for him falling to a third round pick, he has decent size listed at 6'0" and 195 lbs. by the OHL website. I remember seeing him as a high pick in the second round but I'm not sure about it so if anyone can let me know why he fell to where he did and where he was supposed to be picked before the draft that would be great.

I believe it was because he was very poor in his first year that the scouts thought his linemates were the reason he was putting up so many points in the first year and I think he is playing on a pretty bad team right now and certainly proved them wrong. So he pretty much fell because scouts thought his linemates were carrying him, turns out it wasn't true.

He was projected in the 2nd round and just barely fell so kudos to Leafs scouting who thought he was better. I think the Leafs made a solid pick. He is versatile as he can play any forward position, has a decent shot, can play gritty, good vision and passing skills and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas and he's improved his defense. Skating needs work but from what I saw in training camp, it was decent, nothing slow but not overly quick either. I think is also a captain (?).

He may need to work on being more consistent, he started off unbelievably hot early in the year then cooled off and is heating up again (recently had a 4 goal game performance). Though he also plays on a bad team so that could be related to his consistency issues.

Could be a good 2nd liner IMO.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I think a good comparison may be Dustin Rose. The kid is a stud.

As long as he doesnt end up like Hugh Jessiman, I'm all good

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Anybody else have any comparisons to current NHLers?

Maybe give a comparison to McKegg reaching his max upside, and also comparison allowing for mediocre performance?

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
McKegg 6'0" 185lbs Center
OHL Stats:
2008-09 Erie Otters OHL 64 8 10 18
2009-10 Erie Otters OHL 67 37 48 85 (1.27ppg)
2010-11 Erie Otters OHL 56 38 38 76 (1.36ppg)

Stats are slightly up from last year, looks like he still needs more time before he turns pro with the Marlies. Since there was no big increase, I would say at this time he is still a prospect of note, but hasn't shown any special development that would move him up the charts.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Future Versteeg is who he reminds me of. Doesn't make as many turn overs in the OHL, Hopefully he will not do that in the NHL like Versteeg.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
OHL Stats:

Stats are slightly up from last year, looks like he still needs more time before he turns pro with the Marlies. Since there was no big increase, I would say at this time he is still a prospect of note, but hasn't shown any special development that would move him up the charts.

It's worth noting he has surpassed his goal total from last year with 11 games to go which is good and on pace for 91 games if you use 67 games which is alright. It's hard to expect him to go up from 85 to 100 points or so and he's playing on a bad team (probably bad linemates as well) so he is progressing well.

To me, it would be more important to see McKegg increase his tools such as skating, shot, vision, passing more so than his point total. Obviously it's good to see him increasing his points total but increasing his tools would mean he can translate his game to NHL much more easily.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No question he can score at the junior level (he was the 4th highest scoring OHL forward drafted).... the big question is going to be whether or not he has the complete game and will be able to translate it to the next level (hence why he was something like the ~15th OHL forward drafted).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
For the record, I like Pitlick more than McKegg. Not sure why that was brought up, but yeah...

wendelclark17

Sep 13, 2007
OHL Stats:

Everything about this kid reminds me of Matt Stajan. His size, offensive numbers, skating, lack of physical play etc.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think the Boyes comparison works.

A shoot-first centre who will likely end up on the wing in the NHL. Not big but not too small. Questionable but not awful skating. Similar junior production (both in goals and assists).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
His skating is legitimately terrible. Great offensive instincts, but he's a one way player for sure. Get the kid to a powerskating class and he might make an impact at the next level. A lot of guys wanted the Rangers to take him and I am glad we avoided him, since I just don't know if he can make it in the bigs.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
McKegg is dominant this year

Should be interesting how he transistions into pro game

With leafs could be playing pro as early as next year

But could use AHL seasoning or 1 more year of junior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad