McKeens Top 75 for 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Just because he had one bad tournament shouldn't drop this guys stock so much. Anikeenko has everything you look for in a defenseman...some say he looks sluggish and say his defensive awareness needs work...both things can be fixed easily. Anikeenko has the skills to dominate, his sluggish look well go away with devoloping into his body. I saw A.J. Thelen play for the USNTDP and he looked sluggish and uncordinated... look at him now.
Your claims on saying Anikeenko isn't a top player on one tournament is quite bold statement IMO. Anikeenko is going to be a stud and already is a stud...could chalenge for a top 5 spot. With his huuuge shot, great vision and soft hands, with a mean nasty edge to his game, great size, solid skater overalll.

Don't put to much stock into one tournament... J.P. Levasseur is the best goalie in the draft and he wasn't even there. In fact before this tournament Anikeenko was very impressive at international tournaments with the U-17 team.
\

Well, at this point, when so many of the prospects stock is based on very little viewing at elite levels, that is exactly what happens - a bad tourney means the players stock drops. And the reality is, his stock didn't drop that much. I know a few people have discussed Anikeenko being a lottery pick, but for the most part he has been seen as a high first rounder. Such a disappointing performance at a key tourney over several games will obviously mean he's going to drop a bit. And McKeens hardly says Anikeenko won't challenge for a top spot. Quite frankly they say the opposite regarding the number of changes that will take place amongst all these players.

And I'm not saying he's not a top player. I've never seen him play. Have you seen Anikeenko play? I'm obviously at a disadvantage to those who have. But you state he has soft hands, and great vision. What are you basing this on? I haven't heard that in any of the scouting reports I've read, and I subscriber to most publications out there.

Regarding Thelan, that is all well and good, but no one was wondering why Thelan wasn't in the top 10 of the early ratings last year, which is what you're saying about Anikeenko. Are you saying players who looks sluggish and uncoordinated are going to be good? (sarcasm). Of course not. If a player looks sluggish and uncoordinated, they drop in the rankings until their games comes together. They don't get a free pass anymore than you ignore the great performances put on by players at the same tourney.

turnbuckle*

"Your claims on saying Anikeenko isn't a top player on one tournament is quite bold statement IMO."

Yet your claims that Anineenko IS a top player based on ZERO tournaments is quite a farce IMO. See how things work? Why would your opinion, which is based solely on reports, be less bold than an opinion actually based on seeing the kid play?

Last edited by a moderator:

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Kind of low for Hensick considering the year he had as a freshman. I suppose his diminutive size is keeping his ranking in that publication so low? Whatever the case, if he can improve on last year's campaign he'll surely move up.

I'd say thats right around where Hensick should be at this point, but like you said, if he has another big year, he would move up deservedly.

The one that raised my eyebrows was Brock Bradford being so low.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
I went to the Attack training camp earlier today and Ryan's skating has improved in the off season. He has all the tools and is fully deserving of his #10 spot IMO, although I am an Owen Sound fan.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
I went to the Attack training camp earlier today and Ryan's skating has improved in the off season. He has all the tools and is fully deserving of his #10 spot IMO, although I am an Owen Sound fan.

Last year I watched him play a few times and I was amazed. I've had him pegged as a top 10 for awhile.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not really sure how you can be disappointed this early. They're the only publication I know of that actually has the guts to post a list this so far in advance. Let's face it - everyone knows the list is going to under-go massive changes in the next 6 months - it's just nice to have something to work from. It creates discussion, which is always good.

What specific problems do you have with the list? Anyone in particular? Have you really analyzed the full list of 75?

Except that Red Line Report had a top 50 for 2005 back in January and every month since and did a top 120 in early august. I also know ISS had a top 25 a few months ago. I know they did in their draft issue. So no McKeen's isn't the 1st to have a list they actually have the guts (as you say) to be the last of the 3 with a list by quite some time.
Oh well don't let the truth get in the way.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
leondias said:
Except that Red Line Report had a top 50 for 2005 back in January and every month since and did a top 120 in early august. I also know ISS had a top 25 a few months ago. I know they did in their draft issue. So no McKeen's isn't the 1st to have a list they actually have the guts (as you say) to be the last of the 3 with a list by quite some time.
Oh well don't let the truth get in the way.

Not let the truth get in the way? :banghead:

So I should have re-worded it based on it being the first ranking to come out "this year" with much more detail and based on the U-18 Tourney. The previous lists you've mentioned have simply been lists without the scouting reports behind them. A fair clarification on your part, but hardly a case of me trying to mislead anyone. On the contrary...

I subscribe to Redline and can tell you that Anikeenko was ranked 16th by Redline in June, and now after a very disappointing performance at an important tourney against his age group, he turns up at #20 at McKeens. And people on this board are calling McKeens nuts? I was simply pointing out that these claims were somewhat unfounded, and asking for additional information if they had it.

Actually, can anyone provide an example of a publication that actually ranks Anikeenko in the top 5? Is the only thing people basing it on the quick little blurb in THN? I'm just sincerely curious as to where all the hype is coming from.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone post the list? Or some of the list so the rest of us that haven't seen it can take a look. Thanks.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kritty said:
Can anyone post the list? Or some of the list so the rest of us that haven't seen it can take a look. Thanks.

Well, I believe that would infringe on the copyright of McKeens given it as a pay per use site. It'll just mean this thread will be deleted by the moderator.

The top 10 has already been posted, so I don't think we can go beyond that. It's actually really cheap to join (a $'s per month). Give it a try, as you can cancel at anytime.

X-SHARKIE

Well Anikeenko is a favorite of mine...I'm not sold on him because a scout had a nice thing to say about him for the hockey news. I have no problem with Jack Johnson and Jakub Kindl in front of him, because I agree, but he should've been a top 10 prospect on the list...it's really no big deal were he is ranked just voicing a difference.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Zharkov is back at #51 right now, but obviously lots of time to rise. He had a solid U-18 showing and seems to be heralded more in the power forward mold than the proto-typical Russian forward. How did you find his skating?

Ryan is at #10 and in some very good company. They comment on the fact that if he can improve his skating, he'll have it all for a NHL power forward.

Of note, Bertram is #6, Levasseur #7, Cogliano #8 and Durand is #9.
His skating is above average in the QMJHL but he doesn't have that gear that many russian players have. He plays with the crowd and shows he has a huge love for the game. After the first perios was over he was waveing his arms in the air for the crowd to cheer, after he scored his first goal he pointed up to the veterns to let them know he is here to stay. His snapshot was harder then anyones slap shot on the eagles in the warmups. He was excellent on the PK, his pairing didn't give up any chances and that is when he scored his two goals, shorthanded. His hockey sence and communication was excellent for his first game in North America and he will be a serious threat for the QMJHL rookie of the year.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Little brothers in this draft?

Mike Stuart is he Marc's?
Sergei Kostitsyn is he Andrei's?
Marc Stall is he Eric's?

Im not sure about Mike Stuart, but Sergei Kostsitsyn and Marc Staal are the younger brothers of Andrei and Eric, respectively.

degroat*

Devin Setoguchi - 17th
Scott Jackson - 59th
Marc Staal - 40th
Nicklas Bergfors -19th
Tom Wandell - 61st
Fredrik Pettersson - 71st

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am looking forward to seeing Kindl this year, as I've talked with ISS head scout about some of these players and they are high on Kindl (or were a few months ago when I last talked to him) Bobby Ryan I have been disappointed in every time I've seen him. Didn't give much of an effort and did nothing offensively. But this season will give us a much more clear picture of where these guys could end up.

One team to watch this year is the PEI Rockets, who should have 4-5 kids drafted next summer in Mior, Truhno, Gragnai, Hawes and the Finnish defensemen they got, although I don't know anything about him just yet.

From the NCAA, I can't wait to get a good look at Bertram since I get to see a lot of BC games. Also I think Paul Stansy is going to have a big year, same with Hensick, although I like Stansy better but have only seen him play once. Steve Birnstill should have a big year as well.

Also I saw that Anton Belov has made the CSKA roster, so a good season in the RSL should help him. I'm interested to see where Shitikov, Shirokov, Dubinin, Borisov Mikhaylishin and Karetin go in the draft next year, as a I believe all were not picked this past summer. Amakhin, Salnikov and Khasanshin weren't picked as well I believe and Makarov wasn't picked twice I believe.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Little brothers in this draft?

Mike Stuart is he Marc's?
Sergei Kostitsyn is he Andrei's?
Marc Stall is he Eric's?

Mike Stuart is not the younger brother of Mark Stuart...as Mark has an older brother named Mike that played for the St. Louis Blues last year, Marks older brother Colin is also in the ATL system. But the 2005 eligible Mike Stuart is not part of that family. They may be relatives of some sort but the Colorado College Stuarts are from Minnesota and Mike Stuart fo the National Team is from Rome,NY.

Kind of confusing since he DOES have a brother named Mike, but hopefully this clears it up.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
TMHUNH said:
Mike Stuart is not the younger brother of Mark Stuart...as Mark has an older brother named Mike that played for the St. Louis Blues last year, Marks older brother Colin is also in the ATL system. But the 2005 eligible Mike Stuart is not part of that family. They may be relatives of some sort but the Colorado College Stuarts are from Minnesota and Mike Stuart fo the National Team is from Rome,NY.

Kind of confusing since he DOES have a brother named Mike, but hopefully this clears it up.

Perhaps he has two brothers named Mike and they sent one away to New Work because of the confusion in the house hold?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
TMHUNH said:

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->