McKeens Top 75 for 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just had their August/September release - a good read.

Crosby, Brule, Latendresse, Kindl and Johnson were the top 5. General consensus is that it's one of the deepest drafts in years. Hensick starts off at 55. Not good news for him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:

Crosby, Brule, Latendresse, Kindl and Johnson were the top 5. General consensus is that it's one of the deepest drafts in years. Hensick starts off at 55. Not good news for him.

Kind of low for Hensick considering the year he had as a freshman. I suppose his diminutive size is keeping his ranking in that publication so low? Whatever the case, if he can improve on last year's campaign he'll surely move up.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Kind of low for Hensick considering the year he had as a freshman. I suppose his diminutive size is keeping his ranking in that publication so low? Whatever the case, if he can improve on last year's campaign he'll surely move up.

I agree, but I just think it's a rather ominous sign for him. He had a great year and might end up just producing at the same rate (which would hardly be bad given he was one of the league's top scorers). And if that's the case, he'll probably be a third rounder. A clear indication his decision was a bad one, although that seemed to be the consensus thus far anyway.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hate to ask but where was Zharkov.....he played his first game yesterday for the Eagles and scored two goals. He has a shot ala Kovalev or Mogilny. It is just down right sick.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Zharkov is back at #51 right now, but obviously lots of time to rise. He had a solid U-18 showing and seems to be heralded more in the power forward mold than the proto-typical Russian forward. How did you find his skating?

Ryan is at #10 and in some very good company. They comment on the fact that if he can improve his skating, he'll have it all for a NHL power forward.

Of note, Bertram is #6, Levasseur #7, Cogliano #8 and Durand is #9.

Funkymoses

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I agree, but I just think it's a rather ominous sign for him. He had a great year and might end up just producing at the same rate (which would hardly be bad given he was one of the league's top scorers). And if that's the case, he'll probably be a third rounder. A clear indication his decision was a bad one, although that seemed to be the consensus thus far anyway.

Well, one ranking by one scouting service a year before the draft isn't too much to get upset about. You only have to convince one team that you're worth scooping up (see Wheeler, Blake) at a high pick.

And, though I largely agree with you guys that he should have entered his name in the draft, I think there's a certain logic behind his decision. TJ played out of his mind for 2 or 3 months towards the end of last season after OK results before and OK results after. If he can sustain that high level of play over the course of an entire season he may have a very attention-getting year. Helminen's departure (though Hensick didn't know that was the case at the time) means he's the unquestioned #1 C and will probably draw a line with Tambellini. He could significantly improve his point totals.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Dr.Sens(e) said:

how did it rate Finnish players?

X-SHARKIE

Raimo Sillanpää said:
how did it rate Finnish players?

Tuukka Rask is the top rated Fin at 11....I would say he deserves to be in the top 10 over bobby Ryan.

Teemu Laakso is at 15..once again to low IMO.

Risto Korhonen is way to low IMO as well, at 36.

Mikko Lehtonen is at 45...Never seen him.

Erkka Leppanen is at 64.

And Perttu Lindgren is at 75.

Between Rask,Laakso, and Tukonen, possibly Korhonen, along with mabey Korpikoski ....the Fins are starting to get top end talent more then ever.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Overall I like there top 5..but other then that i'm disapointed in the list.

I'm not really sure how you can be disappointed this early. They're the only publication I know of that actually has the guts to post a list this so far in advance. Let's face it - everyone knows the list is going to under-go massive changes in the next 6 months - it's just nice to have something to work from. It creates discussion, which is always good.

What specific problems do you have with the list? Anyone in particular? Have you really analyzed the full list of 75?

X-SHARKIE

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not really sure how you can be disappointed this early. They're the only publication I know of that actually has the guts to post a list this so far in advance. Let's face it - everyone knows the list is going to under-go massive changes in the next 6 months - it's just nice to have something to work from. It creates discussion, which is always good.

What specific problems do you have with the list? Anyone in particular? Have you really analyzed the full list of 75?

Good point. The list well go threw some massive changes and kudos to McKeens for making a list so early. Some problems I have though. I would say Ryan is to high. He's lazy and slow. Vitaly Anikeenko is way to low. Niklas Bergfors is to low...well mainly the European players except Kindl and Zubov for the most part are to low. Although the article does have a warning saying it's not European flavored yet because of limited viewings...all in all I like the list but I expect it to be changed quite a bit witch is a homer statement, because of course it well be changed.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Anyone can tell me where Zagrapan, Bartanus, Gauthier and Kostitsyn are ranked, if they are on the list?

X-SHARKIE

Fighter said:
Wait wait Anikeenko not in the top 5?
Ryan in the top 10???

Are they nuts?

Agreed 100% I think Ryan is over rated because of his size. His skating is a big issue as it's pretty dang bad far as I can tell and he seems to be lazy. I don't like him, but yes you can't deny his skills though and the make up of a power forward. Anikeenko is the real deal and should be at least in the top 10.

Ryan O'Marra is my early favorite to really blossum this year and go top 10. He's got all the size and skill you could want and he just brings it.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fighter said:
Wait wait Anikeenko not in the top 5?
Ryan in the top 10???

Are they nuts?

If Ryan works hard in the off season to improve his skating, there is no reason he shouldn't be ranked in the top ten. His offensive skills and size are top notch.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Rabid Ranger said:
If Ryan works hard in the off season to improve his skating, there is no reason he shouldn't be ranked in the top ten. His offensive skills and size are top notch.

If if if...

Anikeenko is top 4 material right now.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
not that I'm comparing the two, but many people think Mario Lemieux is too lazy and slow...I wouldn't worry about Ryan, many nhl stars never were that great at skating...(Gretzky, Robitaille, Andreychuk, Lemieux)

Ryan has a very good shot at having a monster year in Owen Sound, appears as though they will have Ruzicka, Jarrett and a healthy Richardson back, which gives him some talented players to play with, plus his ice time will only improve...OS will want the first round draft pick money...it's been a few years since they've had this opportunity for one of the players to be drafted so high.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Fighter said:
If if if...

Anikeenko is top 4 material right now.

Not according to his performance at the U-18's. He was very disappointing and clearly not not one of the top d-men amongst his age group. A lot is being said of his potential, but he wasn't exactly dominating his peers, so it's not a surprise that he dropped a bit. Top 20 is hardly a position he can't move up from.

If someone was actually at the U-18's and felt differently about his performance, I'm sure everyone would love to hear about it. Otherwise, let's not start putting Anikeenko ahead of others more deserving based on a couple of one sentence write-ups you might have read in a publication from last year, because based on his U-18 performance, a top 20 ranking is more based on his reputation, than his recent performances.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:

It will be very tough for Hensick to get in the first round. I personally had him ranked at #51 on my list with stiff competition ahead.

X-SHARKIE

Dr.Sens(e) said:
Not according to his performance at the U-18's. He was very disappointing and clearly not not one of the top d-men amongst his age group. A lot is being said of his potential, but he wasn't exactly dominating his peers, so it's not a surprise that he dropped a bit. Top 20 is hardly a position he can't move up from.

If someone was actually at the U-18's and felt differently about his performance, I'm sure everyone would love to hear about it. Otherwise, let's not start putting Anikeenko ahead of others more deserving based on a couple of one sentence write-ups you might have read in a publication from last year, because based on his U-18 performance, a top 20 ranking is more based on his reputation, than his recent performances.

Just because he had one bad tournament shouldn't drop this guys stock so much. Anikeenko has everything you look for in a defenseman...some say he looks sluggish and say his defensive awareness needs work...both things can be fixed easily. Anikeenko has the skills to dominate, his sluggish look well go away with devoloping into his body. I saw A.J. Thelen play for the USNTDP and he looked sluggish and uncordinated... look at him now.
Your claims on saying Anikeenko isn't a top player on one tournament is quite bold statement IMO. Anikeenko is going to be a stud and already is a stud...could chalenge for a top 5 spot. With his huuuge shot, great vision and soft hands, with a mean nasty edge to his game, great size, solid skater overalll.

Don't put to much stock into one tournament... J.P. Levasseur is the best goalie in the draft and he wasn't even there. In fact before this tournament Anikeenko was very impressive at international tournaments with the U-17 team.

Last edited:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Charlie_Girl49 said:
Can someone tell me where they have Matt Lashoff and Patrick Davis ranked? Thank you!
Lashoff is at #12 and Davis is at #67.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->