McKeen's top 30 for February

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
From webcast...Zubov, Zubov, Zubov. Redden's not the nastiest defender in the league, but he's got much more bite than Alzner. It certainly is not the end of the world that Alzner isn't mean, and it should be noted that it doesn't make him less passionate or driven by being somewhat passive. It's just his game, but at the same time there's plenty of time to gain confidence, maturity, and physicality. It's funny; if he had that extra element he'd be far and away the best player in this draft IMO.

I think Zubov is not a bad comparison at all as far as Alzner's all-around game goes. I think Lidstrom is another loose comparison that you could make. However, Alzner doesn't have anywhere near the offensive upside of these two.

onthejob

Feb 18, 2007
My top ten

1. Kane (best offensive player by far.. needs to care about defense more though)
2. Alzner (big, versatile)
3. Esposito (too fast to ignore..has had the worst year of his life...needs to compete all of the time)
4. Gagner( smart, unselfish...needs to get stronger, faster)
5. Turris (really good in all aspects but his competition is soooo bad I'm not comfortable rating him higher)
6. Cheraponav (great instincts, hands...skating ??? stanley cup desire????)
7. Couture (hurt all year but great athlete.. will rebound)
8. Van Riemsdyk (big, strong, good skater... hockey sense?? not sure)
9. Ellerby (solid all around game but not fantastic)
10. Shattenkirk (I know it may seem a stretch but this kid is sooo smart out there... is he big enough??)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I think Zubov is not a bad comparison at all as far as Alzner's all-around game goes. I think Lidstrom is another loose comparison that you could make. However, Alzner doesn't have anywhere near the offensive upside of these two.

He has the ability, if he can find the confidence to use it. I sometimes wonder where Lidstrom would be drafted today as he wasn't the Lidstrom that we know of today when he was a junior. It's true, he showed a bit more in terms of offensive prowess, but nothing other than his smarts to show that he would become one of the greatest ever.

One more thing, I think Alzner can become a great PP QB because of his smarts and passing abilities. Pair him with a shooter like JJ, and it would make a great PP backline.

OilerOlli*

My top ten

1. Kane (best offensive player by far.. needs to care about defense more though)
3. Esposito (too fast to ignore..has had the worst year of his life...needs to compete all of the time)
5. Turris (really good in all aspects but his competition is soooo bad I'm not comfortable rating him higher)
10. Shattenkirk (I know it may seem a stretch but this kid is sooo smart out there... is he big enough??)

Where is Voracek?
Can't imagine Shattenkirk will be drafted before him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
My top ten

Cherepanov is an excellent skater- a textbook stride.

He is taking a beating in the independent scouts' books after the 5 nations tourney but I think N. American scouts often misunderstand Russian forwards. They use a skill forward much like a soccer striker- lurking on the edge of the offside play, skating East-West along the opponent's blueline, ready to spring into the action when the puck is put up ice. In N. America people will call it cherry picking and say the guy isn't backchecking but if the coach says do it, what is the player supposed to do?

It is a useful tool, it keeps the defensemen out of the neutral zone which opens up that part of the ice for other players- it breaks locks and traps well. It may look like he's not coming back hard into his own zone and banging the boards etc. but that's not his role. He can change it after coming to N. America (one hopes).

The "lazy, doesn't backcheck" claim seems to hit a Russian skill forward every year but it ios sometimes used without consideration for the coach's tactics. Anyway, Cherepanov did compete hard against the U.S. in the 5 Nations- a team that plays a non-Euro game, and used that "striker" positioning to really stick it to the Czechs.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

He is taking a beating in the independent scouts' books after the 5 nations tourney but I think N. American scouts often misunderstand Russian forwards. They use a skill forward much like a soccer striker- lurking on the edge of the offside play, skating East-West along the opponent's blueline, ready to spring into the action when the puck is put up ice. In N. America people will call it cherry picking and say the guy isn't backchecking but if the coach says do it, what is the player supposed to do?

It is a useful tool, it keeps the defensemen out of the neutral zone which opens up that part of the ice for other players- it breaks locks and traps well. It may look like he's not coming back hard into his own zone and banging the boards etc. but that's not his role. He can change it after coming to N. America (one hopes).

The "lazy, doesn't backcheck" claim seems to hit a Russian skill forward every year but it ios sometimes used without consideration for the coach's tactics. Anyway, Cherepanov did compete hard against the U.S. in the 5 Nations- a team that plays a non-Euro game, and used that "striker" positioning to really stick it to the Czechs.

Interesting point. Makes sense in a lot of ways.

turnbuckle*

Cherepanov did not impress the scouts I've talked to versus the US - very much played like he wanted to be elsewhere. He didn't help his draft position...but it was already pretty high after the WJC.

The thing that impresses me most about Chery is he's constantly going to the scoring areas. I think he's going to be a productive sniper in the NHL if he gets matched with a quality playmaker.

Ovechkin Backstrom Cherapanov

That would be a scary line in a couple of years - then put Semin on the second unit!!

Or a future top unit of:

Ruutu Toews Cherapanov

Mind you those teams will also be looking at Voracek as well. It'll be interesting to see who goes first - probably the guy that's already in North America.

OilerOlli*

Is Ellerby so highly ranked because the draft is not that good this year, or is he a guy who could be a good 1st/2nd NHL Defenseman?
He is more a stay at home D, right?

fighterflea1*

"Mind you those teams will also be looking at Voracek as well. It'll be interesting to see who goes first - probably the guy that's already in North America."

Sorry if I missed this from your other posting but are you saying

Voracek > Kane > Turris > Cherepanov in your current ranking?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Is Ellerby so highly ranked because the draft is not that good this year, or is he a guy who could be a good 1st/2nd NHL Defenseman?
He is more a stay at home D, right?
No. Ellerby is most noticeable as a rushing defenceman. He likes to carry the puck into the other team's end and is very good at taking it in deep. He can play conservatively in his own zone but that's not what stands out about him. He actually plays something of a rover style. Note though that he doesn't get much power play or point action so his actual scoring totals aren't that great. He also tends to carry it himself than throw long-bomb passes, the kind which gains more assists.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
Does Mckeens have much of a report on prep schooler Jon Dwyer? Redline seems very high on his sleeper potential. Sounds a bit like Holmstrom type to me what round do you see him going?

bbad

Feb 16, 2004
For the McKeens guys, the Oilers look like they could possibly pick up Couture, Petrecki, and one of Sexsmith, Shattenkirk, Cross or Moller in the first round with thier picks. Do you feel these guys will go about where the Oilers pick and whould it be a good draft for the Oil, Why or why not??

X-SHARKIE

For the McKeens guys, the Oilers look like they could possibly pick up Couture, Petrecki, and one of Sexsmith, Shattenkirk, Cross or Moller in the first round with thier picks. Do you feel these guys will go about where the Oilers pick and whould it be a good draft for the Oil, Why or why not??

Oilers are one of the teams I expect to take a long look at Petrecki. He's not the PP QB you guys could use in the system but he's a fabulous skater, possesses the drafts nastiest mean streak, and is really dominant in his own end. If they liked Matt Greene in 02 they will love Petrecki. He should go around 12-15th (although he's in my personal top 10).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->