McKeen's top 30 for February

turnbuckle*

The dramatic drop of Quebec Remparts' Angelo Esposito in McKeen's February's draft rankings illustrates the dilemma scouts are facing in evaluating this year's crop - there is little consensus on the top ten prospects.
"I saw him twice recently, and this guy's really pissing me off," said one Quebec area scout. "(Esposito) has some issues (mentally). He plays a selfish game; doesn't want to pay the price. I dropped him from first to tenth on on my list."
That scout was not alone in penalizing Esposito for his lacklustre play since being cut from Canada's world junior team in December.
Two months ago Esposito was considered by many to be the top prospect for the draft. A month later he had dropped some, but was still in most people's top five - this month he's not even in McKeen's top ten.
One of the reasons for Espo's marked descension is the stellar play of other prospects, including Kyle Turris, James vanRiemsdyk and Brandon Sutter............

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/default.asp

1 1 Patrick Kane
2 3 Kyle Turris
3 4 Alexei Cherepanov
4 5 Karl Alzner
5 10 Brandon Sutter
6 13 James vanRiemsdyk
7 8 Keaton Ellerby
8 11 Jakub Voracek
9 9 Sam Gagner
10 6 Logan Couture
11 2 Angelo Esposito
12 7 Jonathon Blum
13 17 Kevin Shattenkirk
14 15 James O'Brien
15 14 Bill Sweatt
16 16 Mikael Backlund
17 24 Ryan McDonagh
18 19 Nick Petrecki
19 12 Sergei Korostin
20 22 Jeremy Smith
21 34 Brett MacLean
22 23 Dana Tyrell
23 18 Maxim Mayorov
24 26 Patrick White
25 27 Zach Hamill
26 29 Tommy Cross
27 42 Nick Ross
28 31 Stefan Legein
29 32 John Negrin
30 30 Oscar Moller

McKeen's February Draft Digest was printed and mailed out yesterday - we delayed printing for four days so that we could get proper updates from the 5 Nations Cup played inthe Czech Republic the week before.

We have a three-page feature on Kyle Turris, an in-depth 4-page look at the top 20 centers available, risers and sleepers, a scouting report from the Top Prospects game, and dozens of quotes from NHL scouts. I'm having a lot of fun producing this. It's great talking to all the top prospects, and getting a feel for their personalities. Turris is just a great kid.

Here's a link to the magazine: http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=608959

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I'm not surprised that the play of the 2 Americans at the 5 Nations in the Czech Republic raised their status a little, but were your scouts not happy with the play of Mayorov and Korostin there? I'm also guessing that while Cherepanov wasn't dominant in Most, he got better with each game and his basic talent is obvious enough to raise him a notch on your chart.

And I'm guessing that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i didn't make a great impression at the Slovakia tournament.

turnbuckle*

I'm not surprised that the play of the 2 Americans at the 5 Nations in the Czech Republic raised their status a little, but were your scouts not happy with the play of Mayorov and Korostin there? I'm also guessing that while Cherepanov wasn't dominant in Most, he got better with each game and his basic talent is obvious enough to raise him a notch on your chart.

And I'm guessing that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i didn't make a great impression at the Slovakia tournament.

Some good questions.

We did raise Chery in the rankings, form 4th to third, despite his very inconsistent tourney.

He turned it on at the end of the tourney when it didn't count. when all the scouts were there and the games counted at the start he wasn't a factor. the same thing happened in the WJC - he was pretty much invisible against the Canadians in the big game where the checking was more like in the NHL, yet still far from it. Cherpy has a lot to learn before he's ready to tear up the NHL IMO.

One scout told me he looked totally disinterested in being there.

Mayorov and Korostin were not overly impressive. Korostin showed more even though he didn't produce, but his on-ice attitude is a huge concern. He spent much of the time shaking his head and waving his arms when he didn't get a pass, or it wasn't right on his stick. It's a major warning sign for some.

Still; neither Russian dropped particularly far, and there were some NA players that improved their stock over the past month including Shattenkirk and JVR, who looked better than Korostin and Mayorov at the tourney.

One of my scouting contacts made a trip to Slovakia to see him in that tourney while he was covering the 5 Nations.

He said :eek::eek::eek::eek:i was hotdogging it pretty good, and not interested in battling in traffic or backchecking. There are major concerns with some scouts about whether he'll want to come over as well.

Checker*

He said :eek::eek::eek::eek:i was hotdogging it pretty good, and not interested in battling in traffic or backchecking. There are major concerns with some scouts about whether he'll want to come over as well.

He needs to knock that stuff off.

There's no "I" in :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

;)

Checker*

:bow: LOL - good one.

I'll be around here most of the day if you have any draft questions.

Awesome.

Real quick, what's the opinion on Hoeffel? I'd be interested in the Blues taking him if they pick up another pick or if he's still there in the 2nd round

Edit:Also John Blum

Thanks

turnbuckle*

Awesome.

Real quick, what's the opinion on Hoeffel? I'd be interested in the Blues taking him if they pick up another pick or if he's still there in the 2nd round

Hoeffel is a big, smart, strong forward that's not going to give you high point totals, but could be an effective third liner some day.

I'm not sure he's a top 40 pick, but he may surprise and develop more of an offensive touch than we think he will. I think he'll play in the NHL someday, just not on a top line.

We'll have an in-depth overview on him in the March issue when we profile the top 20 wingers. We did the centers this time.

BTW - we are now ranking the top 300 prospects.

al3x

Jul 12, 2005
Bucharest,Romania
Who do you think would be the best defensive prospect for when the penguins will pick? How about Petrecki? Could we grab him or he'll be gone before our pick?

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
... if you're still around.

how about colton gilles? he seems to be falling as well. has it been lackluster play or just other coming on. i really like the size/speed/edge combo that he brings. what do you/mckeen's think?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I have been championing Turris since last spring when I first saw him play as a 16 year old...it is nice to see MCkeen''s coming around to my view -CSS had him as #5 NA at mid-term and so another scouting org putting him at #2 is not unreasonable ...that ISS has him only at #7 is too low IMO --I have always said he is the best centre in the draft and should be a consensus top 5...I think ISS will come around to that view by its final ranking... Woodlief at Redline still refuses (as of his Jan rankings) to credit Turris enough because of the level he plays at (BCHL not major Jr. --to which I say nonesense--just look at how he plays and compare what he does as a 17 yr old in that league vs. all the older top ten scorers in that league some of whom are 3and 4 years older than him...I also consider that while Turris has to be the go to guy for Burnaby,and certainly Kane is that for London,it sure helps Kane that London has 4 other 30 or more goal scorers on that loaded team to share the offensive burden...Turris at #2 is justifiable...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Wow! A big jump for Brandon Sutter. What has he done to suggest that? I havent seen much of him this year.

How is his skating in particular? And can anyone tell me his offensive upside? I've heard he's responsible two-way, is that true? Top two line player?

turnbuckle*

I have been championing Turris since last spring when I first saw him play as a 16 year old...it is nice to see MCkeen''s coming around to my view -CSS had him as #5 NA at mid-term and so another scouting org putting him at #2 is not unreasonable ...that ISS has him only at #7 is too low IMO --I have always said he is the best centre in the draft and should be a consensus top 5...I think ISS will come around to that view by its final ranking... Woodlief at Redline still refuses (as of his Jan rankings) to credit Turris enough because of the level he plays at (BCHL not major Jr. --to which I say nonesense--just look at how he plays and compare what he does as a 17 yr old in that league vs. all the older top ten scorers in that league some of whom are 3and 4 years older than him...I also consider that while Turris has to be the go to guy for Burnaby,and certainly Kane is that for London,it sure helps Kane that London has 4 other 30 or more goal scorers on that loaded team to share the offensive burden...Turris at #2 is justifiable...

We've been coming around to "your view" on Turris for quite awhile. He was third on our list last month for instance.

We loved him at the Royal Bank Cup last year as well, but we also liked Espo in the playoffs as well. What counts is what you're doing this season, and turris is doing it. It helped that he was so dominant in the Junior A challenge pitted against some other highly ranked draft eligible prospects. Kind of tough to have had him in the top three before that solely based on what he did in a tier II tournament last spring.

One of the reasons there are so many 30 goal scorers in London is because they play with Kane.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
How far has Repik fallen? I know he's small but IMO he's not soft to the point that its a problem.

turnbuckle*

How far has Repik fallen? I know he's small but IMO he's not soft to the point that its a problem.

Well; he's hardly a bruiser. plays well at home, often disappears on the road.

we haven't been impressed this season - he was much better last year. He's dropped to the third round.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Hi Grant McCagg, I would like to know more about Andrei Kolasau. In january mckeen's draft digest, is describe as an intriguing prospect emerging from Belarus... Since the habs drafted many Belarussians, do you think he would fit nice?

I think you put David Perron way too low, he's currently the top scorer in his team and he's +30 (so high when you compare the ratio of his teammates).

Do you see Casey Pierro-Zabotel as a first rounder? He's actually 51 47 57 104.

I also wounder why Antoine Lafleur do not obtain the recognition he deserves. He's quite impressive in the Q.

Angelo Esposito seems to regress each days. With the same number of games, he did 30 points worst. Some said he was better at 16 years old during the WJC try-out. He looks like a big time bust in my opinion,so soft,such a cancer in his team... really looks like a waste.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day Turnbuckle

turnbuckle*

Wow! A big jump for Brandon Sutter. What has he done to suggest that? I havent seen much of him this year.

How is his skating in particular? And can anyone tell me his offensive upside? I've heard he's responsible two-way, is that true? Top two line player?

Not much to dislike about Sutter really. His biggest weakness is his strength (pardon the contrast), and once he gains that he has the package to be an elite two-way forward.

I don't know that there's another prospect with better anticipation, he's excellent in his own zone (how could he not be playing for his dad?), and he's producing offensively - he and Zach Hamill are the only two draft eligible prospects in the top 40 in WHL scoring.

He's grown to 6-3, and once he fills out his frame he'll be quite a load. He's a solid, smooth skater for his size. A lot of upside.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Not much to dislike about Sutter really. His biggest weakness is his strength (pardon the contrast), and once he gains that he has the package to be an elite two-way forward.

I don't know that there's another prospect with better anticipation, he's excellent in his own zone (how could he not be playing for his dad?), and he's producing offensively - he and Zach Hamill are the only two draft eligible prospects in the top 40 in WHL scoring.

He's grown to 6-3, and once he fills out his frame he'll be quite a load. He's a solid, smooth skater for his size. A lot of upside.

Thanks man! :)

Appreciate it. I've always had a soft spot for him. I love two-way players who can score. He's jumped too. Maybe the Leafs can grab him and then Sutter senior takes our GM duties. ;) I can dream.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I completely agree. He's going to be a solid player for a long, long time.

Can anyone give any info on Brett MacLean? I haven't been able to see him yet.

turnbuckle*

Hi Grant McCagg, I would like to know more about Andrei Kolasau. In january mckeen's draft digest, is describe as an intriguing prospect emerging from Belarus... Since the habs drafted many Belarussians, do you think he would fit nice?

I think you put David Perron way too low, he's currently the top scorer in his team and he's +30 (so high when you compare the ratio of his teammates).

Do you see Casey Pierro-Zabotel as a first rounder? He's actually 51 47 57 104.

I also wounder why Antoine Lafleur do not obtain the recognition he deserves. He's quite impressive in the Q.

Angelo Esposito seems to regress each days. With the same number of games, he did 30 points worst. Some said he was better at 16 years old during the WJC try-out. He looks like a big time bust in my opinion,so soft,such a cancer in his team... really looks like a waste.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day Turnbuckle

Hello - please don't put too much stock into stats. If we did teams wouuld just draft the top scoring prospects each year - if you do a little research you'll notice that's not what happens.

Perron is small, slight, an average skater for his size, and a year or more older than most prospects. Those are the reasons why he justifiably isn't a first-round prospect. He's the same age as Giroux, who was picked in the 20s last year. Giroux is faster, stronger, producing more, etc. He's quite a bit better than Perron.

Lafleur gives up way too many poor rebounds and his puck control is suspect. We just mailed out your Feb. issue Mr. Houde - there is a writeup on Lafleur on our "From the Scout's eye" feature.

Zabotel has talent for his size, but he's not a great skater and he's lazy. We have him rated in the third round.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'd like to know more about Hamill.

He's someone I'd like Toronto to get if possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->