McKeen's New Top 100, March edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
John Agar said:
Two players I would compare Toews to in potential...

Low end....Thomas Steen

Upper end...Bryan Trottier

I like this kids balanced play, unselfishness & drive. This kid off the ice is focused and mature...driven on and off the ice.

Heady words, but I will stick with them. :)

So his low end is an awesome player? :eek:

Look, he's safe for the NHL but let's not get carried away.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

A safer low-side might be a player like Peter Schaefer, Todd White or even Matt Stajan. Great hands and a solid overall game, but settles in as tier II offensive player than elite.

And I'm not sure Steen is "awesome" at this point, but obviously we aren't seeing the finished product, so hard to really use a player like this as reference (he might end up topping out just like the above mentioned trio). You really need to use a player in their prime as a reference.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:

I don't think that's much of a stretch. Toews is a very "safe" prospect and stands a great of chance of at least being a good player (which Steen is). I don't think he'll be a hall-of-famer, but he'll likely have a very good career.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Dr.Sens(e) said:
A safer low-side might be a player like Peter Schaefer, Todd White or even Matt Stajan. Great hands and a solid overall game, but settles in as tier II offensive player than elite.

And I'm not sure Steen is "awesome" at this point, but obviously we aren't seeing the finished product, so hard to really use a player like this as reference (he might end up topping out just like the above mentioned trio). You really need to use a player in their prime as a reference.
He said Thomas Steen not Alex.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think that's much of a stretch. Toews is a very "safe" prospect and stands a great of chance of at least being a good player (which Steen is). I don't think he'll be a hall-of-famer, but he'll likely have a very good career.

Thomas Steen is a retired, great NHL player, though. And supposedly, that's Toews LOW end?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Ah, my bad. Actually, not a bad a sign for Alex that he has me actually forgetting about his old man. He was indeed a great player.

Yep. Which is why I think that's one of the worst statements ever on the boards when someone says that a prospect who has never stepped foor into the NHL and who is obviously not on the Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin level will have a low end of a great player.

Toews has went from severely underrated to severely overrated as of late, and it's a shame. I'd love to have the kid on my team, but not with a top 3 pick. Top 10 pick for sure, however.

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
If Frollik really leaves at spot numbver 11 i'm pretty suire it will be a steal. I'M pretty sure he'll turn out to be a pretty decent NHL player.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Yep. Which is why I think that's one of the worst statements ever on the boards when someone says that a prospect who has never stepped foor into the NHL and who is obviously not on the Crosby or Ovechkin or Malkin level will have a low end of a great player.

Toews has went from severely underrated to severely overrated as of late, and it's a shame. I'd love to have the kid on my team, but not with a top 3 pick. Top 10 pick for sure, however.

I think it is a natural for a player once they get some momentum, that people get a little too over-excited about the player and take it too far.

We saw it with Kessel a year ago (Crosby comparisons), to the point it has swung back in the other direction and he might be getting under-rated by some now.

I personally think Toews is definitely top 5 though, as he might be one of the safer picks out there and still has a lot of upside.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I think it is a natural for a player once they get some momentum, that people get a little too over-excited about the player and take it too far.

We saw it with Kessel a year ago (Crosby comparisons), to the point it has swung back in the other direction and he might be getting under-rated by some now.

I personally think Toews is definitely top 5 though, as he might be one of the safer picks out there and still has a lot of upside.
Toews has been tagged with that dreaded word, "safe." In my experience there is no word that makes an Hfboards poster go cold faster than "safe." (perhaps the other is "old" which does not apply in this discussion :) ). My only opportunity to watch him was on television during the WJCs. So I'm far from an expert. But my sense, from reading the usual scouting reports, and watching his stats in his freshman season, and taking into account his birth year, is that he is actually very talented offensively in addition to being a two-way player.

Some players are described as "boom or bust." Toews, it seems to me might be called "boom or safe."

Not great English, perhaps, but you get the point. :)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
terreur said:
If Frollik really leaves at spot numbver 11 i'm pretty suire it will be a steal. I'M pretty sure he'll turn out to be a pretty decent NHL player.

My feeling on Frolik, is he will either be a star or a bust. No inbetween ground on him. The question is do you risk picking him in hopes he turns out to be a starover guys who may not have as much upside who will turn out to be good NHlers?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
boredmale said:
My feeling on Frolik, is he will either be a star or a bust. No inbetween ground on him. The question is do you risk picking him in hopes he turns out to be a starover guys who may not have as much upside who will turn out to be good NHlers?

I love Frolik, and i honestly think he might turn out to be the best player from this draft. I agree he is boom or bust in a way. Considering though that this draft has a supposed fall in talent after the top ten, if he falls out of the top ten (he shouldn't) its worth taking the chance on him because the depth is pretty awful.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
I love Frolik, and i honestly think he might turn out to be the best player from this draft. I agree he is boom or bust in a way. Considering though that this draft has a supposed fall in talent after the top ten, if he falls out of the top ten (he shouldn't) its worth taking the chance on him because the depth is pretty awful.

I've noticed you've been a proponent of Frolik for quite some time. Can I ask why you like him as a player so much? Do you have access to some Kladno games or something?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#66 said:
If you've seen Toews in the past month/ month and a half you would see more of the player that he should turn out to be IMO. He's been downright dominating games with and without the puck. I think that people tend to forget just how young he is and that he isn't very close to being a finished product at all.
I have seen him play in the last month quite a few times and while he has ranged from decent to very good, I wouldnt say he has been downright dominating at all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stardog said:
I have seen him play in the last month quite a few times and while he has ranged from decent to very good, I wouldnt say he has been downright dominating at all.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, Toews has been impressive of late, but it's not as if he's the only reason North Dakota is doing as well as they are. It can be argued that Jordan Parise or T.J. Oshie have been just as impressive. Toews isn't exactly taking over games ala Jaromir Jagr. He's been a cog in a well-oiled machine that has gotten better as the season's gone by.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
I've noticed you've been a proponent of Frolik for quite some time. Can I ask why you like him as a player so much? Do you have access to some Kladno games or something?

Being from England, i base my opinions on reports etc so yeah im not an expert lol. However, i do feel Frolik has alot of potential, and im quite willing to overlook the fact of his supposed "sub par" stats this year. I've used the example before, but Olesz put up very similar stats to Frolik at the same age and Olesz will be a really good player. I just think if he falls out of the top ten, its a freakin steal especially considering the supposed lack of depth in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad