McKeen's Hockey Midseason 2024 NHL Draft Rankings

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
my guess is this will make the Russian players drop quite a bit. that is long time to wait for a high pick.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

Wow, it makes him sound very dominant and the comparisons are the guys you'd like the hear.

His production for a U18 in the KHL is special. He seems extremely fluid and quick-thinking for that size.

I still can't see anyone chatting to Celebrini for #1, and I really like Demidov too, but Silayev might the player most suited to be the runners up prize.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Obviously no Russian Factor consideration. The calibration is Michkov dropped from 2nd to 7th on pure talent mocks. Demidov may fall further with all the D options and the rumoured 5 year mandatory stay VP wants to impose…
Pretty sure @Caser said that was sort of debunked and more of a suggestion than a mandate.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Man, Eiserman is sinking hard
I think it's a Jeff Skinner case. Everyone called him the best shooter in the 2010 draft class but his overall game didn't really inspire top 5 pick confidence. Skinner immediately potted 30 and 63 points in the NHL in his D+1 and he didn't really have a better season than that until last year playing with Tage Thompson. They weren't wrong either, Skinner has potted 30 six times and 20 (or pacing for it) every other year of his career except 2020-21. He leads the 2010 draft in goals scored, just edging out Seguin.

Carolina ended up reaching on him massively at 7 as he was seen more in the middle of the round. It paid off though.

While Skinner has aged well so far and may possibly end up first in the draft in points, does he still go top 5 in a redraft? I think most take the peak of Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Stone, and possibly a couple more like Toffoli or Schwartz. Most of them were better players when the league was in a lower scoring era. I think Skinner probably stays close to where he was drafted in the 6-8 range but could rise depending on how the rest of the draft compiles.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think it's a Jeff Skinner case. Everyone called him the best shooter in the 2010 draft class but his overall game didn't really inspire top 5 pick confidence. Skinner immediately potted 30 and 63 points in the NHL in his D+1 and he didn't really have a better season than that until last year playing with Tage Thompson. They weren't wrong either, Skinner has potted 30 six times and 20 (or pacing for it) every other year of his career except 2020-21. He leads the 2010 draft in goals scored, just edging out Seguin.

Carolina ended up reaching on him massively at 7 as he was seen more in the middle of the round. It paid off though.

While Skinner has aged well so far and may possibly end up first in the draft in points, does he still go top 5 in a redraft? I think most take the peak of Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Stone, and possibly a couple more like Toffoli or Schwartz. Most of them were better players when the league was in a lower scoring era. I think Skinner probably stays close to where he was drafted in the 6-8 range but could rise depending on how the rest of the draft compiles.
Agree with everything here. I just wonder how much his contract affects his perception. Really useful player, just overpaid.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Agreed he will most likely be a nightmare to play against. I just don’t see top three picks go to guys that haven’t dominated their league. I would have seen Slaf in a similar light tbh, but his Olympics and Worlds performances showed me that he was legit.

In the end it’s all opinion, I simply feel top three picks should come with a full package unless the draft is weak. Which this one is not
That's fair. Silayev is in the hardest league (and a defensemen which has more responsibility) out of anyone else in the draft though. If he was dominating the KHL it would be pretty much unheard of from a D. Since he is Russian we also don't get the chance to see him play against his own age group in international play, where maybe he would've dominated.

End of the day, I get your argument, and I'm just being devils advocate, but Silayev's "package" of being 6'7 with skating and some offence in a mens league is pretty close to a full package as you'll find in this draft.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That's fair. Silayev is in the hardest league (and a defensemen which has more responsibility) out of anyone else in the draft though. If he was dominating the KHL it would be pretty much unheard of from a D. Since he is Russian we also don't get the chance to see him play against his own age group in international play, where maybe he would've dominated.

End of the day, I get your argument, and I'm just being devils advocate, but Silayev's "package" of being 6'7 with skating and some offence in a mens league is pretty close to a full package as you'll find in this draft.
I appreciate a measured answer vs some people on here haha.

I’ll admit, 6’7 mobile? That’s a definite prospect. And hopefully a stud! On the subject of not getting to see them
Play? Agreed. The international tourneys without Russia feels like it’s missing something. And with the talent Russia seems to be producing, it would have been amazing to see them against our best!

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Brunicke the big mover here. I have a feeling he’s on one of those upward trajectories that is going to just keep rising on various lists. The kind of guy the regional scouts fall in love with and slowly but surely their reports and excitement start to trickle into the more widely publicized comprehensive rankings.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brunicke the big mover here. I have a feeling he’s on one of those upward trajectories that is going to just keep rising on various lists. The kind of guy the regional scouts fall in love with and slowly but surely their reports and excitement start to trickle into the more widely publicized comprehensive rankings.

Unfortunately out indefinitely now following a late hit.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I know I saw that. No doubt he’s legit. Just sounds like yet another guys draft stock skyrockets because of size. I personally don’t feel he is the all around package as say Dickinson or Lev. I feel we see this every year
He isn't. Silayev is a pure defensive defenseman. He's also used to playing on a much larger ice surface and his instincts and skating (not to mention size) made it seem as if he was always where he needed to be. That should translate well onto the smaller NHL ice.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Silayev combination of size and skating make him a defensive monster.

But he ain't no slouch offensively.
His shot is booming, he's got smart, he has the offensive tools but he's playing in the world 2nd best pro league at 17 yo.

His ceiling is sky high, could become a Victor Hedman.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Pretty sure @Caser said that was sort of debunked and more of a suggestion than a mandate.
If Vlad P "suggested" I not come to Moscow, I'm probably parking it at home. I don't think there's much difference between suggestion and regulation and I doubt anything was actually "debunked" - lol. The whole damn prospectus continues to deteriorate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad