McKeen's draft guide

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I ordered my McKeen's Draft Preview quite a while ago but still haven't received it. Have others on this board received theirs? I'm a bit concerned since the draft's only four days away. I did receive my Red Line Report last Thursday. I'd appreciate hearing from others who ordered McKeen's regarding whether it arrived and if so, when.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Still waiting on mine too....I e-mailed yesterday inquiring and they said it was mailed out last week....In their reply, I got the on-line edition....

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
Didn't receive mine today. This means at best I will receive it the day before the draft and won't have a chance to really read it before the first round. I understand the complications that arise in the publication business but given this is the first time I've ordered it I'm very dissapointed.

The offer of getting the electronic version is a good gesture but I don't like reading online and don't have a printer I can use to print out the thing to read.

Frankly I'm tempted to ask for a refund as the value of getting the draft guide has pretty much evaporated for me.

Is this delay typical? Am I over-reacting?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I decided to test drive McKeen's this year. It is now Wednesday before draft day and the issue has not yet arrived. Disappointing. However I have already lowered my expectations having opted to also buy their April Draft Digest issue.

Pretty poor on all accounts for a premium priced draft guide.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I posted this on the other thread, but here is my review of the guide since this is the guide thread:
Ok, I recieved my copy on Monday the 18th.
Including the front and back covers (which McKeen's does) there are 32 pages. The front cover is a glossy JVR and the back a glossy Pat Kane, both in USA uniforms. There are 3 feature articles on JVR (2 pages), Backlund and Voracek (1 page each). Page 2 has what they call their honor roll, broken into the WHL, OHL, QMJHL and Best of the Rest. The actagories are: Smartest Player, Best Skater, Fastest Skater, Best Shot, Hardest Shot, Best Body Checker, Hardest Worker, Best Defensive Forward and Best Hands. They have a top three in each category for each of the 3 leagues, and top 5 for the beats of the rest.
They list the top 300 (100 per page) and then starting on page 8 they begin their profiles 4 per page in a 4 column format for the first 60 (page 15 and the last page has 2 players and their NHL Scouting Combine Select Performances). This is followed by #'s 61 through 99 with 9 or 10 players written up on per page (these are smaller write-ups than the top 60 but filled with good info).
The actual player profiles are filled with scouts quotes which is very nice indeed. McKeen's rankings seem to make sense when you read the quotes from the scouts.
Pages30-31 is a mock draft, and we all know that virtually all of the mocks out there are all over the place.
There was one small advertisement on page 15, curiously for Bonnechere Caves. I found that strange, beneath itwas the publishing info.
The guide was not that well edited as there are several mistakes like James O'Brien's stast listing him as playing on team Czech in 05-06 and in the QMJHL in 06-07. There was at least one size discrepancy where a player was listed at one size and the writeup had something else. and the type setting was mangled a little on the honor roll. Not bad enough to take away from the whole publication, but noticable at that price. I think they rushed it a little as they waited until the combine was over to put in a small slightly interesting, but of limited value piece of info from it. My advice would be to skip the combine and postthe info on the web site, and get the guide out in May. It would cut down on customer angst (which I am betting they had more than they needed, including with me - who they did not handle well at first [but that is another story] before they reconsidered and began sending the email version which I recieved the day I recieved my guide.)
I enjoyed reading the write-ups and articles. I knew alot about most of the players by reading Cup's excellent free draft, Timlaps well done one, the THN reports and the Flyers Web site draft info as well as THN. The Scout quotes was where the value was in the McKeen's guide.
Was it worth the $21 I spent? In a free market, I'd say the scaricity of this type of info and the high cost of production for a limited demand would be yes. Is it really worth it compared to other things (non NHL draft related) that you can spend your money on, no, probably not.
Would I buy it again? I don't know. Maybe. I am enjoying it though.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Caveat Emptor. I received the electronic version tonight. Unfortunately, with only a quick scan, I have spotted numerous errors with prospect team names, incorrect stats dropped in (ie. Dana Tyrell's stats are for someone with Sarnia; Riley Nash is listed as playing for London; Brendan Smith is listed as playing for Prince George). And that is from a cursory scan ...

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Have not had time to post. While I admire all of the knowledge and work their volunteers put in, it is weird that they used the THN look and way of presenting the profiles.

My two questions and issues are (1) why not actually provide a scouting report rather than use a few sentences of what other scouts are saying? There was more useful information in the prospect writeups 61-99 than 1-60 IMO and (2) they seem a bit misleading as I believe the "scouts" they note are their own scouts. Not a bad thing, but it is as though they try to buy some equity off of hearsay from NHL contacts and purposely try to disguise the two.

I'd rather they gave us something unique and what McKeen's thinks. Really, I only think the 300 player list and profiles 61-99 are meaningful and unique. The mock draft was pretty good though.

Not for anything, but McKeen's has to be the most poorly edited publication out there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->