Waived: McIlrath waived

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What kind of bizzaro world is this. McIlrath is like the last type of d-man teams want in today’s NHL. Terrible skater, zero offense, barely any puck moving ability.

I know the rest of our D isn’t great but quite a few of them would at least fetch a trade return unlike the literal garbage that is McIlrath.

Come on man, these guys are still people. A bit extreme.

Reactions: RedMenace

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I still would project him to our future D, as 3rd pair defenceman, with very small minutes.

1st pair RhD, Seider ~25min role
2nd pair RhD, Hronek, ~22min role
3rd pair RhD, McIlrath, ~13min role

He would be ideal for that 3rd pair role, we wouldn't need to grow any prospect for it. Can use people as trade baits.

McIlrath could be there as long as Tuomisto comes from NCAA, after ~5 years. McIlrath would be 32 year old then. Seider only 23, Hronek 27. Imo, pretty good balance. Age & roles.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thought they waived him yet he played tonight. Strange.
Green must not have been ready to go. What is strange is that they didn't waive Biega instead, if McIlrath is above him on the depth chart.

I don't know if they did that as a favor or to send a message, but strange indeed.

I really hope they waive Biega when Green gets back, but I suppose it doesn't make too much difference if we know Dylan's gonna clear.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He absolutely trucked someone early in the game tonight, one of the only plays worth noting the entire game from the wings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Come on man, these guys are still people. A bit extreme.
Dan Cleary is an amazing human being and got trashed and dragged through the mud here for years, much worse things were said. I’m solely talking about McIlrath as an NHL level player.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Dan Cleary is an amazing human being and got trashed and dragged through the mud here for years, much worse things were said. I’m solely talking about McIlrath as an NHL level player.

I wasn't posting here at the time, but I was posting on LGW.com. Definitely an embarrassment to Wings fans seeing some in the fan base act so childish towards Cleary.
With that said, fans acting like idiots towards Cleary years ago is not justification in calling McIlrath "literal garbage". Though I'm beginning to think the motivation behind your comment was not even about McIlrath.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He must be doing something right is he's -2 on this complete crap team. Cholo is -16, Bowey is -11.

Which is interesting because he has been predominantly Cholowski's partner five on five when we are not trailing... He gets skipped a decent amount when we are chasing leads where they unite Cholo and Hronek and work in the odd shift with their normal partners.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He must be doing something right is he's -2 on this complete crap team. Cholo is -16, Bowey is -11.
He averages about 4 minutes less ES TOI/GP than Cholo and has played less than half the games. Bowey is bad but like Cholo he has at least produced some positive things along with the negative. McIlrath may be able to play a low-event, low-risk, low-reward #6-7 role, but that’s not hard to find.
I find it ridiculous after the last 10 years of this board screaming for young PMDs who can skate/pass and create offense, while hating endlessly on solid defensive Ds like Quincey/Ericsson/Dekeyser, that we are now in a situation where people want Cholowski sent down but are afraid of losing McIlrath.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He averages about 4 minutes less ES TOI/GP than Cholo and has played less than half the games. Bowey is bad but like Cholo he has at least produced some positive things along with the negative. McIlrath may be able to play a low-event, low-risk, low-reward #6-7 role, but that’s not hard to find.
I find it ridiculous after the last 10 years of this board screaming for young PMDs who can skate/pass and create offense, while hating endlessly on solid defensive Ds like Quincey/Ericsson/Dekeyser, that we are now in a situation where people want Cholowski sent down but are afraid of losing McIlrath.
This board was afraid of losing Hicketts on waivers at start of season.

He must have passed a handful of times by now.

As for McIlrath, people like him cause he outplaying guys like Bowey, Ericsson, Daley. And at least Cholo when it comes to defensive responsibility. Plus he sometimes hits and fights, and that's the only entertainment this crap 'dump and no chase' team is going to provide.

Ericsson-Bowey is the worst defensive pairing I have seen in decades. So yah, I'll take the Undertaker over either of em.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This board was afraid of losing Hicketts on waivers at start of season.

He must have passed a handful of times by now.

As for McIlrath, people like him cause he outplaying guys like Bowey, Ericsson, Daley. And at least Cholo when it comes to defensive responsibility. Plus he sometimes hits and fights, and that's the only entertainment this crap 'dump and no chase' team is going to provide.

Ericsson-Bowey is the worst defensive pairing I have seen in decades. So yah, I'll take the Undertaker over either of em.

I don't think he is outplaying Cholowski defensively, honestly. He is out of position lots of times, and just like the rest of our team struggles to make easy plays to get the puck out of the zone. He also takes terrible penalties and goes way out his way to throw hits that then leave him out of position. Our team has been terrible at this the past 4 seasons. Ericsson, Dekeyser, Daley and everyone outside of Hronek and I think Green, can't get the puck out when we are hemmed in our zone, it is like they are allergic to hammering that sucker out of there. Even on the PK where he has gotten credit by some, he is out of position. The Johnsson goal the other night, he just let him skate past him, eventhough he had position at first.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cholo looked good on the western trip, but then he went back to being scared of physical contact. I just hate D-men who are afraid to take the body. Not necessary hitting the opponent, but making enough contact to impede their path to the goal.

Guys are skating by Cholo and Bowey with and without the puck, and that annoys the living crap out of me. I hope McIlrath is relegated to 7D in the next couple of years, but in the meantime Cholo ought to be sent down because the AHL is probably better for his development.

… and I've given up hope on Bowey. I think he's a lost cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad