McGuire says half would take Kessel and half would take Toews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Toews seems to be racing up the charts, I think Frolik and Joensuu have fallen somewhat a bit though they're still top 10. Frolik could be a contender for the first spot if he plays well at the WJC. My darkhorse would be someone like Johnson or Little. I'm honestly not joking.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
If you follow his past comments, that means that:

3 3/4 GM's would take Toews.
3 3/4 GM's would take Kessel.
7 1/2 GM's would take Crosby.
15 GM's would take Ovechkin.

...I'm curious as to who is 3/4 myself.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Smart Alek said:

They are all in different drafts DA!!

Vicious

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Smart Alek said:

*blinks*

Crosby and Ovechkin are up for draft again next year?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
More evidence that McGuire makes up random numbers in his head and passes them off as fact. Like we needed more.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Smart Alek said:

you forgot to add in Phaneuf

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
Jon Prescription said:
I guess he didn't see Kessel outplay Toews.

no they didn't. they (pierre and bob mckenzie) even mentioned that toews played atleast as well if not better than kessel in their head to head match up (iirc).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
McGuire said on TSN tonight that if there were 20 GM's at the draft, half would take Kessel and half would take Toews! Is Toews closing the gap that much and what about Frolik and Joenesu the Finn?

That's certainly a possiblity. Toews is a very good player who has a chance to be an excellent pro. Does he have more potential than Kessel? I don't think so, but I'm not a NHL G.M. As for McGuire and McKenzie's comments, why limit the number of potential decision makers to 20? As for Kessel and Toews head-to-head matchup, I don't know what games they were watching, but Kessel clearly stood-out, and his defensive game was just as good if not better than Toews.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With so much competition at the top, whoever has the best WJC is whose stock will rise the most. This is the only time that players from all the other countries will play against each other.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
With so much competition at the top, whoever has the best WJC is whose stock will rise the most. This is the only time that players from all the other countries will play against each other.

In the perception of fans only. (and 'zines like McKeens etc.)

Professional scouts are keeping tabs on these guys on a day-to-day basis, especially those towards the bottom. Certainly the WJC will be a part of the evaluation process but not much more than that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
willie said:

Professional scouts are keeping tabs on these guys on a day-to-day basis, especially those towards the bottom. Certainly the WJC will be a part of the evaluation process but not much more than that.

I'm not calling this the be-all end-all debate. But when they are all up against each other, the best really come to the top. If Frolik or someone blows up during the WJC's and Kessel, Toews, and everyone else do not...well then everyone will start talkingn about Frolik as one of the top 3 (which some believe he is), maybe even better...someone will always buy into the hype.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
willie said:

I agree. Players like Kessel and Toews have professional scouts at virtually all of their games. The WJC can enhance a players rep, but it's not the end all. Besides, Toews might not even make Team Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
This is a classic Pierreism. He makes that statement all the time. It doesn't mean that he's literally spoken to 15 GMs and they said, "if I get the top pick, I'm taking TOEWS!"

Right, which is why he threw out the number (20) he did. As for Toews vs Kessel, I just don't see how anyone could pick Toews over Kessel. I've seen both on multiple occasions, Kessel is so much more dynamic. Oh well, we'll find out this summer who is preferred.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
as much as i like kessel, i almost hope my team doesnt get the 1st pick. id much rather have staal or ej for my team.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
RDriesen16 said:
as much as i like kessel, i almost hope my team doesnt get the 1st pick. id much rather have staal or ej for my team.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Personally, I think there are 5-6 guys that I would have no problem taking 1st overall. If it was me with the first pick, I would move down and grab Staal and some other asset for Kessel without any problem. I just don't see Kessel being that far ahead of the rest of the pack at this point. Toews, Frolik, Mueller, Johnson and Staal could all stake claim to 1st overall. The difference is that Kessel has been hyped for a few years now, the others haven't. It's just like Ovechkin/Malkin all over again. Most people went based on hype and concluded that Ovechkin was hands down the best player. Well now people are seeing that may not be the case, as many had said at the time of the draft.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mallard said:
NO NHL GM would give Pierre McGuire a lick of insight!

Who does he think he is anyways, Bob Mckenzie??

I think his Stanley Cup ring would say otherwise. He knows the game regardless of what people think of him.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kritty said:
I've been thinking the exact same thing. Personally, I think there are 5-6 guys that I would have no problem taking 1st overall. If it was me with the first pick, I would move down and grab Staal and some other asset for Kessel without any problem. I just don't see Kessel being that far ahead of the rest of the pack at this point. Toews, Frolik, Mueller, Johnson and Staal could all stake claim to 1st overall. The difference is that Kessel has been hyped for a few years now, the others haven't. It's just like Ovechkin/Malkin all over again. Most people went based on hype and concluded that Ovechkin was hands down the best player. Well now people are seeing that may not be the case, as many had said at the time of the draft.
Until Malkin plays in the NHL, Ovechkin WAS hands down the best choice in 04, as much as Crosby was a better choice than Bobby Ryan or Jack Johnson.

Ovechkin, in his rookie season, is playing like a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad