TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I love Pierre. Would be a lot of fun. Not sure how good a candidate he'd be though.

It's easy for people to sit here and say "wow he'd be horrible" but the truth is none of you know.

You're correct that no one knows for certain. The thing that we all do know is that he has no experience. Seems like a lot of the same people who believe the Habs can still be in the playoffs also believe Maguire can be a competent GM.

That pretty much says it all.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The next thing we will know:

Mcguire: "I wouldn't mind being Youppi or the Zamboni guy"

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You're correct that no one knows for certain. The thing that we all do know is that he has no experience. Seems like a lot of the same people who believe the Habs can still be in the playoffs also believe Maguire can be a competent GM.

That pretty much says it all.

The habs *can* still be in the playoffs. So those people seem smart.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I believe Pierre was heavily connected to the Habs GM spot few years ago because he's friends with Molson. Quite honestly knowing how much friendship is valued over actual hockey skills and knowledge I wouldn't be surprised if Molson hired him.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Just like I can win a lottery. The odds of my winning Lotto Max and the Habs making the playoffs are both significantly insignificant.

Believing in either one is not smart, it's borderline delusional.
No better chance you win the lottery, and that has nothing with percentages, as even if they have a high percentage management will find a was to f*** it u

Reactions: groovejuice

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I would rather hire McGuire as the team's President than accept a free pass for Bergevin this summer, because I know for a fact that if it were up to McGuire, Bergevin would be out the door the day after the season is over. I would say that McGuire is a smarter hockey man than both Bergevin and Molson without doubt. At least he knows how the modern f***ing game should be played at a base level.

Not saying I would love to hire Pierre, but if it came down to either hiring him or letting Bergevin continue to ruin this team for the next five years... I say give me McGuire everyday and twice on Sunday.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I would rather hire McGuire as the team's President than accept a free pass for Bergevin this summer, because I know for a fact that if it were up to McGuire, Bergevin would be out the door at day after the season is over.I would say that McGuire is a smarter hockey man than both Bergevin and Molson without doubt. At least he knows how the modern ****ing game should be played at a base level.

Not saying I would love to hire Pierre, but if it came down to either hiring him or letting Bergevin continue to ruin this team for the next five years... I say give me McGuire everyday and twice on Sunday.

Any President worth his salt would make firing Bergevin his first priority. We can do much better than Maguire who had no GM, President, Owner or financial (hockey) experience. We can do so much better.

Does anyone with a bank account qualify as a chartered accountant? The guy we want as PHO is Bobby Smith, or his identical twin, and hopefully a GM like Julien Brisebois.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I would rather hire McGuire as the team's President than accept a free pass for Bergevin this summer, because I know for a fact that if it were up to McGuire, Bergevin would be out the door the day after the season is over. I would say that McGuire is a smarter hockey man than both Bergevin and Molson without doubt. At least he knows how the modern ****ing game should be played at a base level.

He would not fire people at will. Owner will. McGuire would not have that power, because it ain't his money.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The majority here doesn't seem to understand what a a president is or does. It's not only about hockey, people. Most of you define a president as managing the hockey portion of the organisation. He doesn't! At all! He's got a gm/vp of hockey operations for that, just like he has a vp of marketing, a vp finance, etc.

McGuire has absolutely no knowledge of the rest of the business. You need a saavy, business AND sports mind. They aren't a lot of them on the market. The Seattle guy would be one of them. (Tim something).

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Any President worth his salt would make firing Bergevin his first priority. We can do much better than Maguire who had no GM, President, Owner or financial (hockey) experience. We can do so much better.

Does anyone with a bank account qualify as a chartered accountant? The guy we want as PHO is Bobby Smith, or his identical twin, and hopefully a GM like Julien Brisebois.

I agree. I'd hire a dirty old bum off the street as our president if he was committed to firing Bergevin. If Bergevin survives this offseason, then he is going to be here for another 5 years. He is. I know it. He will do his shite little half-assed 'retool', trade for some vanilla 3rd liners and #5 dmen and they will make the playoffs next season and get eliminated in the first round. Molson will be happy again.

Bergevin has to go. This motherf***er has to GO. He is a virus that has infected every part of this organization. I'm that desperate that I would be willing to hire Pierre McGuire just to save us from another half decade of Bergevin, yes. McGuire is a smarter hockey man that Bergevin, this I have no doubt about. There is still a list of hundreds of other men that I would rather hire before him, but since the thread is about him, I thought I would make my desperation clear.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He would not fire people at will. Owner will. McGuire would not have that power, because it ain't his money.

The very point of installing a PHO is to take those decisions out of the hands of a know-nothing owner and put them in the hands of an experienced and shrewd hockey man.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The very point of installing a PHO is to take those decisions out of the hands of a know-nothing owner and put them in the hands of an experienced and shrewd hockey man.

This organisation doesn't need a PHO; it needs a president, plain and simple. Hockey is not the only part of the business that is ailing.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Or maybe it needs a PHO (or a VPHO). But before that, get a real president. Not a condo salesman.

I guess you missed the point. The PHO takes the hockey related decisions away from ownership. Molson would only have a say about who would replace himself. He would still call the shots on beer and condos.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I guess you missed the point. The PHO takes the hockey related decisions away from ownership. Molson would only have a say about who would replace himself. He would still call the shots on beer and condos.

Oh! no, I understood. You do understand the Habs' business model, right? Club de hockey Canadien inc. is just one leg of a bigger ensemble. And CHC inc. is not just having issues in the hockey department.

Right now, Molson is president of Groupe CH, AND the Habs. It's nonsense.

Molson isn't in the beer decisions anymore BTW. And the condos are another division. Him being president of Groupe CH is good, it's the business model he created. Fine. But the Habs, from top to bottom (and top is not only hockey), are not well run. All departments are faltering. The unit I work for has had to deal with them this year, and I've seen and heard weird stuff surrounding the governance of this organisation (not only the hockey part).

Reactions: Runner77

drivefor25

Jan 10, 2009
Pat Brisson for president
Julien Brisebois for GM
Claude Julien stays as coach
Dominique Ducharme as coach in Laval until he's ready to take over for Julien
Create a role for Joel Bouchard ( primarily with drafting or evaluating young talent)
Fire rest of staff / foxhole (Lapointe, Dudley, etc) and let Brisebois and Brisson bring in their guys.
There - now you have an extremely strong and forward thinking management team.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh! no, I understood. You do understand the Habs' business model, right? Club de hockey Canadien inc. is just one leg of a bigger ensemble. And CHC inc. is not just having issues in the hockey department.

Right now, Molson is president of Groupe CH, AND the Habs. It's nonsense.

Molson isn't in the beer decisions anymore BTW. And the condos are another division. Him being president of Groupe CH is good, it's the business model he created. Fine. But the Habs, from top to bottom (and top is not only hockey), are not well run. All departments are faltering. The unit I work for has had to deal with them this year, and I've seen and heard weird stuff surrounding the governance of this organisation (not only the hockey part).

Thanks for the clarification. From what you've shared, it appears doubly important to separate the day to day hockey operations from other unrelated endeavours.

The danger of Molson becoming "one of those owners", like Jones, Steinbrenner, Buss, Loria et al. is very real if he doesn't get his **** together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->