TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No kidding. Because we brought him back up. He should’ve been sent immediately down to juniors after. Instead he’s back playing in a toxic environment on a bad team.

I agree. I would of sent him back to Juniors as well. Not upset he is back with the Habs but allowing him to dominate in Junior will help him reach his ceiling potential and he can work on his shot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree. I would of sent him back to Juniors as well. Not upset he is back with the Habs but allowing him to dominate in Junior will help him reach his ceiling potential and he can work on his shot.

Not sure how dominating junior aged players is going to help him reach his potential faster than playing against men.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure how dominating junior aged players is going to help him reach his potential faster than playing against men.

He would have more time and space to work on the parts of his game that need improvement... His shot! Hard for him to do this in game action with the way we are playing him. All he can do at this point is put it on net and hit the goalie. I really would like him to develop a better shot and score when he gets into scoring chances.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
[MOD]

Like I said, they’d have similar issues IMO.

Their jobs would be to preside, and I feel like they want to manage.

I’m happy you think Roy would be a good candidate.

I, after actually having him be a part of my team for 3 years, 100% wholeheartedly would not want him as a President.

He’s a far more ideal candidate as a GM than a President. Still doesn’t mean I’d hire him as a GM. But I think it’s a much better situation for his needs.

haha... you said he would be an active President like Roy would be and said that is not the role you want the President to perform. I showed you how the Leafs hired Shanahan and I'm pretty sure you agree he is very active in hockey operations.

Anyways... I don't agree that comparing Roy to McGuire is a good comparison and fair to Roy.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
haha... you said he would be an active President like Roy would be and said that is not the role you want the President to perform. I showed you how the Leafs hired Shanahan and I'm pretty sure you agree he is very active in hockey operations.

Anyways... I don't agree that comparing Roy to McGuire is a good comparison and fair to Roy.
It’s not fair to Roy.

I think McGuire would be far better.

I have absolutely no idea how involved Shanahan is in the decision process. For all we know, he may be involved in the general direction the team should go in, as any president should do.

But his actual involvement in the moves, the trades, the drafting... you and I have no idea.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm not sure either but teams do this. We did it with Sergachev. I don't think it's terrible to have Mete play with the Habs all year (besides the U20 tournament) but playing against players his own age allows him to work on parts of his game during the game. I would like to see him score a few goals and work on his shot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s not fair to Roy.

I think McGuire would be far better.

I have absolutely no idea how involved Shanahan is in the decision process. For all we know, he may be involved in the general direction the team should go in, as any president should do.

But his actual involvement in the moves, the trades, the drafting... you and I have no idea.

Pretty sure Shanahan is part of strategy and hockey operations. I don't agree McGuire would be far better than Roy.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He is the last guy I would like to see in a management position for the Habs. But any other team can have him, please do.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Ironically, McGuire would never have traded PK, signed Plex or DD, hired MT etc. For a guy who gets so much hate in this board it’s ironic that he holds so many of the most popular opinion as his own.

Personally, I’d have preferred him over Bergevin but who knows. At this point, how much worse can he be then the status quo.

I agree with this post x100000 he would never have done boneheaded moves like subban for weber and sergashev for drouin

Reactions: Runner77

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think Quintal would be another Bergevin. Same thought process and will focus on depth cause that's the type of players they were as players.

Same here. It's funny as soon as there is talk about a President or a hire in the Organization in the last couple of years it's Quintal or Damphousse, like by default because of the language. Pretty sad

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's one candidate
I know he never played for us but Marty Brodeur would also be another for me anyways

I wouldn't want Brodeur. Not only did he play for the killer of joy, in the image of Bergevin's vision, in the Devils.. but he also consults for the Blues, another team that can't get out of its own way to score.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same here. It's funny as soon as there is talk about a President or a hire in the Organization in the last couple of years it's Quintal or Damphousse, like by default because of the language. Pretty sad

People want a change for the sake of change and hiring a guy like Quintal is the same BS we have done year after year. I think we need to target guys who know what it takes to win and have strong character who can handle the pressure from media/fans. If we are going to hire Quintal as our next president, I rather keep Molson instead... for as bad as it sounds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't want Brodeur. Not only did he play for the killer of joy, in the image of Bergevin's vision, in the Devils.. but he also consults for the Blues, another team that can't get out of its own way to score.

Robinson is my pick. Perfect President type to step in only when he has to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad