TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't get the hate for Pierre, I'd vote to have him in the organization any day.

Pierre has been involved in the media and detached from management for too long. And he has a bad reputation based on what he actually says...

For example: "Mete will get "destroyed" in the NHL"

Definitely outside of the box thinking but not the guy I want running our team.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Pretty sure Shanahan is very involved in hockey ops with the Leafs.
Ok...

How does that change what I said?

The leafs have adopted a committee approach. They have Shanahan, the GM, lamoriello and even Babcock.

We literally have no knowledge whatsoever of how involved Shanahan is.

Is he making decisions? Is he just offering input and insight?

Patrick Roy and Pierre McGuire would probably be FAR more involved. I wouldn’t put it past them to act like the GM. Which is exactly what you don’t want.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok...

How does that change what I said?

The leafs have adopted a committee approach. They have Shanahan, the GM, lamoriello and even Babcock.

We literally have no knowledge whatsoever of how involved Shanahan is.

Is he making decisions? Is he just offering input and insight?

Patrick Roy and Pierre McGuire would probably be FAR more involved. I wouldn’t put it past them to act like the GM. Which is exactly what you don’t want.

1. Roy >>> McGuire. Comparing Roy to McGuire is not fair to Roy IMO.

2. Roy can create a team like Shanahan has done. Shanahan is a major part of the strategy going on with the Leafs behind the scenes.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
1. Roy >>> McGuire. Comparing Roy to McGuire is not fair to Roy IMO.

2. Roy can create a team like Shanahan has done. Shanahan is a major part of the strategy going on with the Leafs behind the scenes.

[MOD]

Like I said, they’d have similar issues IMO.

Their jobs would be to preside, and I feel like they want to manage.

I’m happy you think Roy would be a good candidate.

I, after actually having him be a part of my team for 3 years, 100% wholeheartedly would not want him as a President.

He’s a far more ideal candidate as a GM than a President. Still doesn’t mean I’d hire him as a GM. But I think it’s a much better situation for his needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tighthead

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Ironically, McGuire would never have traded PK, signed Plex or DD, hired MT etc. For a guy who gets so much hate in this board it’s ironic that he holds so many of the most popular opinion as his own.

Personally, I’d have preferred him over Bergevin but who knows. At this point, how much worse can he be then the status quo.
Although Pierre McGuire has a French first name due to his mother being French, Pierre doesn't speak good French if at all and the new President of the Habs must be fluently bilingual.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Pierre is a great hockey mind. I love listening to him on TSN 690 when I remember to tune in on my way home from work.

I don't know if he'd be good in a position of power, but he seems to have an idea of how to run a team and has a great eye for talent. He's a weird little man, but he knows his hockey.
As much as he aches and yearns for a GM job, no team has hired him in that capacity and I doubt any team would hire him to lord over their GM.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Ironically, McGuire would never have traded PK, signed Plex or DD, hired MT etc. For a guy who gets so much hate in this board it’s ironic that he holds so many of the most popular opinion as his own.

Personally, I’d have preferred him over Bergevin but who knows. At this point, how much worse can he be then the status quo.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly had he been hired, I don't think we would be in such position right now with such a small prospect pool

Reactions: Runner77

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
For what reason?

Because he's propped up on the radio every day with questions that are positioned in a way that he can never be wrong?
He's wrong often as well, I don't see how him being right or wrong on radio should impede his coming back into management.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

At this point , it's a certainty he would have been better then mb. At least he is not an arrogant sob

Reactions: Runner77

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Pierre has been involved in the media and detached from management for too long. And he has a bad reputation based on what he actually says...

For example: "Mete will get "destroyed" in the NHL"

Definitely outside of the box thinking but not the guy I want running our team.
And yet he said mete will benefit immensely from the world juniors and that is exactly what happened

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The one part of Roy at président that I like is he will surely cause mb to resign as mb ego won't allow him to stay

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's wrong often as well, I don't see how him being right or wrong on radio should impede his coming back into management.
It doesn't...i'm trying to understand why you or anyone think he's suited to come back into management?

What is it about him that makes you think he would be successful?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And yet he said mete will benefit immensely from the world juniors and that is exactly what happened
How has he benefited from playing in world juniors? how has that manifested itself?

He's basically the same exact player he was before he left.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If he is the hockey genius that he, and some others, seem to think he is, why has he not found a position in the decades since he left Pittsburgh? Maybe his ego? Maybe he does not know as much as he thinks? He would also likely meddle too much in trades etc so double no for me.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
His press conferences would be gold lolol he would go off on a long long rant to some simple question and there would be like 2 questions lol

I would rather someone else but if he can be held in check he could be a big picture kind of guy but I dont know how he would react to not having the deciding power of being GM .

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How about they just "promote" Bergevin to President and then he can fire himself as GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad