TSN: McGuire: I'd be open to the President's position in Montreal

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Considering he lost the GM position to Bergevin, I can't see him being placed in a position that the GM reports to regardless of how good (or not) that he'd be at that position. It would be a bit awkward and MB seems to have enough support from Molson that he wouldn't be placed in that postion. Maybe down the road if Bergevin ever gets fired.

In the short term if there's a President, it would be a suitable foxhole partner for MB.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ironically, McGuire would never have traded PK, signed Plex or DD, hired MT etc. For a guy who gets so much hate in this board it’s ironic that he holds so many of the most popular opinion as his own.

Personally, I’d have preferred him over Bergevin but who knows. At this point, how much worse can he be then the status quo.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Ironically, McGuire would never have traded PK, signed Plex or DD, hired MT etc. For a guy who gets so much hate in this board it’s ironic that he holds so many of the most popular opinion as his own.

Personally, I’d have preferred him over Bergevin but who knows. At this point, how much worse can he be then the status quo.
Pierre is a great hockey mind. I love listening to him on TSN 690 when I remember to tune in on my way home from work.

I don't know if he'd be good in a position of power, but he seems to have an idea of how to run a team and has a great eye for talent. He's a weird little man, but he knows his hockey.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Didn't he suggest trading PK before he won the Norris? The guy is a clown.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I usually savage Pierre McGuire on this board because I really don't think he has succeeded in any NHL front office when he was given the reigns. I've even posted articles describing his tenures in Hartford, Ottawa. I've pointed out that he hasn't worked for an NHL club in 25 years...but people keep coming back to him because he's on the radio every day and his self promotion is a top notch operation.

I'll add a new reason why Pierre shouldn't be President. Does anyone believe a GM will have any control of personnel decisions with Pierre as president? He will stick his Q-tip head into every decision.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pierre is a great hockey mind. I love listening to him on TSN 690 when I remember to tune in on my way home from work.

I don't know if he'd be good in a position of power, but he seems to have an idea of how to run a team and has a great eye for talent. He's a weird little man, but he knows his hockey.

Which for him, is also his downfall...yes, he knows a lot of things about the game of hockey. A lot of historical or anecdotal facts that he likes to regurgitate on the radio/TV over and over and over again. Which creates this false persona that he is all-knowing.

Be that as it may, he's incredibly pompous with his opinion and that always comes across on the radio with his "play the tape" or "what did I tell you". He turns people off, he's got poor people skills and that's why he was dumped in Hartford. His own players didn't respect him, other players around the league didn't respect him, how could his peers respect him?

McGuire is good at what he does...being the Stephen A. Smith or Dick Vitale of hockey.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Did he? I think he was just talking about the rumours and talking about what kind of return he'd be seeking IF Subban was to be traded. I could be wrong though.
He does talk out of both sides of his mouth on a daily basis. He'll comment on it, then will be able to retreat saying he was just saying if...then if he's right, he'll take full credit.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don’t know if I would like PM as President (I assume he would hire a new GM).

I do think that he would be absolutely committed to drafting, scouting and development. That’s his passion/obsession.

I wouldn’t want him overly involved with trades, although I think he would have he vision/sense to say things to a GM such as “we don’t have any centres” and “now we don’t have any PMD”.

I think he could be a good big picture guy. I wouldn’t want him micromanaging.

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

No he didn’t. It’s one of those things that took a life of its own after his comments on the Melnik show to the point they played back what he ACTUALLY said after fans were up in arms for what they thought he said.

It was about a potential trade with Edmonton and Pierre was asked what he’d ask for in a trade for PK. He said he’d ask for basically the moon and then was very specific in saying he would not trade PK if he was the GM. He’s easily been one of PKs biggest fans and said the Habs should go so far as to get coaches specifically for millennial like PK to make sure they’re comfortable as you have to treat them differently.

So no, he never advocated or suggested trading PK.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Probably the most spread around piece of misinformation on these boards. McGuire said he would ask that if he were Edmonton. He actually went back on with Mitch and replayed the audio of his words and re-explained what he said because he was wrongfully getting roasted for it.

That said, if we are going to hire a president, then hire someone with a better resume. He's been an analyst forever, not a President.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->