McGrattan: Fighting will be gone in 2-3 years

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Fighting is already gone.

Hitting will be gone in 2-3 years. They must protect the soft little babies that are next generation of the NHL.

Hitting will not be removed, it's just that we're learning more about the impact of head injuries. This is really no different then outlawing hits that are too low (clipping). Somehow the game survived that, I'm sure it'll survive without headshots. ;)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah those soft babies can't handle a little headache now. Maybe they should just grow a pair amirite???

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Fighting is already gone.

Hitting will be gone in 2-3 years. They must protect the soft little babies that are next generation of the NHL.

That's not why fighting will be gone. Fear of lawsuits from retired players is why it's being nudged out of the game.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Once the new nhl wunderkinds have made the typical game a dipsy-doodle, no touch, non-checking, passion-LESS game...which it is quickly becoming, I'm guessing the bread & butter season seat holder fans will be questioning why they should be paying so much cash for their seats, especially when they can watch that type of play at any local rink for free.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Concussions are part of life especially athletes. This movement is more on behalf of the softness of society and vocal minorities seeking to be heard. Removing fighting does less than removing hitting if the NHL truly worries for its players.

Spoken like a true beer league all star.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Look at these namby pamby youngsters. Wahhh wahhhh "I don't want concussions and potential brain damage down the road". Don't these cowards know my entertainment is at stake ?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
This is very good interview, so please listen to it.

Interesting comments from Grats
- Thinks fighting will be gone
- Lots of comments about how soft players are now today
- Doesn't like that big hits are also gone now and complains about how panels "who have never played the game" will watch replays in slow mo and criticize hits

http://pmd.fan960.com/radio/fan960/podcasts/morning-show/brw-20160921-105137.mp3
man, i never expected comments like this from a retired goon

:sarcasm:

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Once the new nhl wunderkinds have made the typical game a dipsy-doodle, no touch, non-checking, passion-LESS game...which it is quickly becoming, I'm guessing the bread & butter season seat holder fans will be questioning why they should be paying so much cash for their seats, especially when they can watch that type of play at any local rink for free.
Have you paid attention to the World Cup? If so, which team has had the most fan interest?
The North Americans! No, not Team Canada or Team USA. The young guns that skate, pass, dipsy doodle etc. Not the tough, truculent Team USA. When the skill players are allowed to show their talents, that's when the game gets really entertaining. No season ticket holder can watch those guys play at the local rink.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Have you paid attention to the World Cup? If so, which team has had the most fan interest?
The North Americans! No, not Team Canada or Team USA. The young guns that skate, pass, dipsy doodle etc. Not the tough, truculent Team USA. When the skill players are allowed to show their talents, that's when the game gets really entertaining. No season ticket holder can watch those guys play at the local rink.

When do they play next? I can't wait to watch. Hopefully they can play a whole 82 game schedule...+ those pesky little Play-off games just like they did during the worlds. Can you just imagine the joy watching such skill and grace?

And yeah, there are quite a few extremely skilled players playing at local rinks, that can play incredibly well...especially without having to worry about someone checking them. And don't kid yourself, it's the legal checks that provide a whiplash effect that contribute more to concussions in hockey then any punches a player usually receives in a fight. If the people that are sooooo concerned with the player's safety/ health issues are truly honest in their intent, the only way to actually increase safety is to outlaw bodychecking.

* Blue means "sarcasm"

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

When do they play next? I can't wait to watch. Hopefully they can play a whole 82 game schedule...+ those pesky little Play-off games just like they did during the worlds. Can you just imagine the joy watching such skill and grace?

And yeah, there are quite a few extremely skilled players playing at local rinks, that can play incredibly well...especially without having to worry about someone checking them. And don't kid yourself, it's the legal checks that provide a whiplash effect that contribute more to concussions in hockey then any punches a player usually receives in a fight. If the people that are sooooo concerned with the player's safety/ health issues are truly honest in their intent, the only way to actually increase safety is to outlaw bodychecking.

* Blue means "sarcasm"

It's not true that fighting causes no CTE either. I think both issues need to be reviewed.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014

* Blue means "sarcasm"
Yes, I can imagine the skill of that team. That team may not have made the playoffs, but they did better than the truculent USA adults!
You may not have enjoyed watching them play, but the vast majority of fans did. Of course, not every game of an 82 game schedule would be of that high quality, but if even 20% of them were, what a refreshing change from the clutch and grab, block a shot hockey we see today.
And I am not against body checking. It's part of the game and so, unfortunately, are injuries. And that includes the ones from legal checking. But to just fight for fighting sakes is ridiculous.
Yes, there are very good players in rec leagues, and it can be fun. But there is a reason they play in rec leagues. They aren't good enough. There is a huge discrepancy in talent. Where I live, a lot of NHL'ers have summer homes. And I've seen them play against those good rec league players. There is no comparison.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It's not true that fighting causes no CTE either. I think both issues need to be reviewed.

If you know what causes CTE then you should get on a plane fly to Boston then grab a cab to BU and tell the hucksters there. And the internet is your friend, you have full access to PLOS ONE which says that in the list of perils NHL players face with respect to concussions, fighting isn't at the top of the list. And unlike the other real threats, it's the only one in which the players consent.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Fighting will be out not only because of the medical repercussions that are better known today, but also because with the way the modern game is structured and the cap, no team has room or cap hit to carry a 'goon' that don't contribute otherwise.

There is seldom fighting in the PO because no team want to risk penalties and yet those are the most fiercely fought games. That said the two most entertaining fights were the Sen-Habs game which ended with very few players on the bench and very long shifts. I guess you can argue that Chris Neil was sorta goonish. The second hilarious PO fight was the Pens-Flyers which ended with Crosby fighting Giroux. It was epic :laugh: but yeah those fights were great and very doubtful that they were in danger of causing a concussion since none of the players involved actually knew how to fight. I honestly think those are the only fights that should be allowed to remain.

Who here remembers the Semin 'fight' Now that's what I call entertainment!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad