Recalled/Assigned: McFarland recalled, Knight sent down

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Had no idea McFarland has such a storied history. I mean I knew he was a high pick coming into the OHL but wow.

Benson for the WHL giants has been underwhelming as a 1OA WHL pick, after being touted as a potential top-10 or even top-5 pick this year. Nice player but nothing like he was advertised as.

Yeah he's fallen a lot even in just the last 6 months, but he should still go in the first round. Unlike Day, who's just a total flop.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Had no idea McFarland has such a storied history. I mean I knew he was a high pick coming into the OHL but wow.

Benson for the WHL giants has been underwhelming as a 1OA WHL pick, after being touted as a potential top-10 or even top-5 pick this year. Nice player but nothing like he was advertised as.

Max Jones comes to mind too. He was highly touted before this year as well. Then there's Sean Day. Wow has he fallen...

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah he's fallen a lot even in just the last 6 months, but he should still go in the first round. Unlike Day, who's just a total flop.

He does have a wicked shot and last year that seemed to put a premium on players at the draft.

Depressing game tonight but McFarland was not too awful. Be nice to see him in a 'normal' game with 6 NHL D to work with.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You could see McFarland has been a goal-scorer in juniors, he has a real knack to know when to creep towards the net when the puck is behind the goal line. Had a couple of really good chances that came from that.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Rau needs to come up to see if he can get Bjugstad going.

McFarland is a great skater, too bad Howden got hurt because that's some serious speed on the wings.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Depends. They went with McFarland over everyone else with this last call up.
Rau did p/u a goal and hit the crossbar Friday night. So it's nice to see him get back on the scoreboard after a long drought. Tonight Rocco had 6 SOG and Rau 1. Doesn't surprise me as Rocco really wants to climb over Rau as the next call-up. I personally don't like Rau with Rocco except in OT, but that's where they have been playing him. Rocco can be a puck hog at times and tonight was a perfect example. When you're the C, you control distribution if there is any.

Shame about Howden. Yup, Potvin is right...rule 48 is absurd....player must avoid putting himself in a vulnerable position. Howden was reaching for the puck knowing full well a player was between he and the puck.....Bitetto also saw Howden reaching low and elected to put his shoulder into Howden's head and make that the primary point of contact. Bitetto could have easily made the choice to keep his body between Howden and the puck, but he didn't....he initiated a hit. What do you think Chris Pronger and the rest of the stooges up in the Dept of Player Safety (oxymoron) will do? My guess is they don't do anything at all and just have a good laugh in leaning towards a player putting himself in a vulnerable position ala Barkov with his head down.:laugh: Howden has struggled to get his game back for years after injuries that started initially with concussions his last year of juniors and his first year in Panthers camp. This last hit could spell the beginning of the end of his pro career if he wants to maintain his mental health later in life. If that's the case, then he can always fall back on one of the class action suits and use this as a prime example of how well the league is protecting their players. Remember, rules and laws are open to latitude and interpretation. The league sets the latitude of what is acceptable and what isn't through their interpretation and enforcement, and in combination this sets precedent. ;)

It was nice of Petro to stick up for him, but the guys head is still scrambled from the other night. He needs to give the fighting a long rest or he is going to be the next concussion casualty from repeated hits to the head. One thing many of the guys who are willing to step up night after night have in common is an ability to throw hard with both hands and a "strong chin." Tough to find a combination like that unless you are one of the Gallant brothers (Brett or Alex), and can actually play the game at the NHL level (which they can't). So in our case you need to move guys up from from the AHL that can fill in until guys get healthy. They should bring up Racine for Monday's game and rest Petro. If I understand Batting1K correctly, Gudbranson will not return Monday, so there needs to be a presence in the lineup from the blue line that will step up if necessary.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad