McElhinney

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
AP said in a post that G McElhinney would have to clear waivers after he is past his injury... with his play, I would fear that he would be claimed in a heartbeat. I was wondering, does he have to clear waivers no matter what, or is it only for him to play in Springfield??? Could he come to Columbus with the CBJ and not have to endure waivers???

**EDIT** If this needs to be moved into another thread, please do so... thanks.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Plus, don't players have to play a certain amount of games at the NHL level to be claimed off waivers in the first place?

The article didn't really explain what I'm asking...

He's played 67 games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_McElhinney) in the NHL already and is not in a entry level contract... hence why he has to be exposed to waivers.

He has to endure waivers because as of the end of last season, he's on the CBJ roster. What I want to know is if he would be able to not go through waivers and stay with the CBJ, or if he has to endure it anyway. The whole point of waivers is to give other teams a chance to claim... if they couldn't be claimed, then there would be no point of putting them through waivers, they would just simply put them where they are to start the season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If you read the rest of the article, he explains it. It's not a situation where any of the players can be claimed.

Au contraire mon frere. The Isles claimed some guy from Buffalo.

The point of them going on waivers is that they would have had to be placed on waivers to be sent down if there had been a CBA.

This is from Porty's post:

Four Blue Jackets' minor-leaguers were put on waivers today: Cody Bass, Nick Drazenovic, Andrew Joudrey and Ryan Russell. Don't be alarmed. When the new CBA was struck at 10 p.m. last night, they technically needed waivers to be active on the Springfield roster. If you think of a typical training camp, all players begin camp on the roster. Some can be sent down without waivers, but veteran players need waivers before they can go back to the minor leagues. This, in effect, is what this is. Goaltender Curtis McElhinney is currently out with a groin injury. When he's healthy, he, too, will need waivers.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Au contraire mon frere. The Isles claimed some guy from Buffalo.

The point of them going on waivers is that they would have had to be placed on waivers to be sent down if there had been a CBA.

This is from Porty's post:

Four Blue Jackets' minor-leaguers were put on waivers today: Cody Bass, Nick Drazenovic, Andrew Joudrey and Ryan Russell. Don't be alarmed. When the new CBA was struck at 10 p.m. last night, they technically needed waivers to be active on the Springfield roster. If you think of a typical training camp, all players begin camp on the roster. Some can be sent down without waivers, but veteran players need waivers before they can go back to the minor leagues. This, in effect, is what this is. Goaltender Curtis McElhinney is currently out with a groin injury. When he's healthy, he, too, will need waivers.

Unless he comes back to the CBJ, right? Or does it matter?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Unless he comes back to the CBJ, right? Or does it matter?

To answer your question, re-entry waivers is eliminated with the new CBA. So if he were to go to Springfield and needed to be recalled, he wouldn't need to be put on waivers untill they sent him back down to Springfield

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Unfortunately I see him getting claimed.

That's kinda my thought on the matter.... hence why I was asking. I think he could be a solid backup next year to allow more room for guys in Springfield and then get rid of Mason or Bob, whoever they see fit :sarcasm: (although I'm hoping for the former!).

Just too many teams with weak goaltending this short season that would take a hot hand from the AHL with NHL experience in a heartbeat.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
imagine how interesting this would be if McElhinney were healthy and in camp. We might be talking about Mason going through waivers...

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I heard when McElhinney is playing in the NHL he sucks. I think any team who claims hims has to have him on the NHL roster. If he does suck in the NHL, will teams even bother claiming him to be a backup? If the team who claims him wants to send him down to the AHL, he would go on waivers again. Unless the rules changed, Columbus would have first shot to claim him back.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I don't see him getting claimed. As has been mentioned, there have been some great AHL goalies that never could take that next step to the NHL, and I don't think McElhinney has shown anything in the NHL thus far.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
The difference being that Steve Mason has at least had a significant period of time in his career where he didn't suck in the NHL. The same cannot be said of McElhinney.

I know what you're saying and I agree with it, but Mason only had 3 months in the NHL where he was above average, 3 years ago. He has smelled up the joint since then. I don't know if McElhinney can be any good in the NHL or not, but Mason's resume isn't much better and I have zero faith in him beyond a crappy backup. If Bob isn't the real deal, I fear this will be a long 48 games. I hope I have to eat these words.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I could only see McElhinney getting claimed if a team has an injury situation and desperately needs a backup. He's never really been a solid AHL goalie before. He's just been a so-so backup for the past 5 seasons.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I could only see McElhinney getting claimed if a team has an injury situation and desperately needs a backup. He's never really been a solid AHL goalie before. He's just been a so-so backup for the past 5 seasons.

Toronto may want him. Scrivens isn't ready for backup duty, and Reimer could use a mentor. Doesn't look like they will make that move for Luongo.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
guessing with both CGY goalies unclaimed, Curtis should be just fine...

I think so too. If he did get claimed it would not be the end of the world for the Jackets because I get the feeling the team does not view him as an NHL goalie anyway. But, it would suck for Springfield.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ G Curtis McElhinney has cleared waivers. Not expected to play this weekend (groin), but getting close.

:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->