Post-Game Talk: McElhinney 2 - Habs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I simply stated your Mete example wasn't good. But hey, forgot, it's you...so obviously it turns into these pointless petty responses of yours.

Not my problem you don't understand my point and go on hate mode. For the record, you are the one with the "history" focus in your replies. Not me.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Skinner also had a NMC. The Ontario boy was not accepting a trade to Montreal.

I agree about us staying put. It's premature to make any moves trading any future assets for older players at this stage.

Don't know how you can come to this conclusion when tons of Ontario boys have loved playing in Montreal. The latest, is the son of a Leaf who wears 13 because it's the jersey number of his boyhood idol from his boyhood team, Mats Sundin. Domi absolutely loves playing in Montreal. Skinner would have loved it too.

And by the way, here is an article where Waddel claims he talked to every single team in the league, and no one topped the Sabres measly offer. Waddel started out asking for a 1st and a prospect (which is what he's worth and what he'll at the very least be worth at the deadline if a team wants to trade him).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't know how you can come to this conclusion when tons of Ontario boys have loved playing in Montreal. The latest, is the son of a Leaf who wears 13 because it's the jersey number of his boyhood idol from his boyhood team, Mats Sundin. Domi absolutely loves playing in Montreal. Skinner would have loved it too.

And by the way, here is an article where Waddel claims he talked to every single team in the league, and no one topped the Sabres measly offer.

Domi was traded here. If he had a choice and was a UFA, he would of signed with the Leafs. This is how I came to the conclusion.

Tons of Ontario boys love playing for the Habs? Can you list them? Cammy, Subban, who else? I don't have a perfect memory. Aside from Cammy, what impact top of the line-up players from Ontario decided to sign with the Habs or waive their NMC to be traded to the Habs like Skinner would of? I recall Spezza having the Habs on his no trade list when the Sens were engaging in trade talks back when.

I'm curious to see this list you have. Or are you going to talk about drafted players who develop in our system? Drafted players don't have a choice on the team they start out with. Once drafted, they commit to that team cause they have to and then start to develop ties to the city (like Subban did). But if they have a choice later in their careers, I think they have other priorities vs choosing the Habs... like Skinner. But hey, you can throw money at them and they possibly will sign.

Lets see if Duchene reaches UFA. Lets see if Bergevin is in on him and how it will unfold.

I don't have a problem with drafting or trading for players who grew up in Ontario. These guys are professionals and will commit to the teams they are on. But once they become UFA or have a choice (NMC/NTC), I don't count on them wanting to play for us vs other cities. Maybe if we throw money at them and/or have a better team they would :dunno:

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Domi was traded here. If he had a choice and was a UFA, he would of signed with the Leafs. This is how I came to the conclusion.

Tons of Ontario boys love playing for the Habs? Can you list them? Cammy, Subban, who else? I don't have a perfect memory. Aside from Cammy, what impact top of the line-up players from Ontario decided to sign with the Habs or waive their NMC to be traded to the Habs like Skinner would of? I recall Spezza having the Habs on his no trade list when the Sens were engaging in trade talks back when.

I'm curious to see this list you have. Or are you going to talk about drafted players who develop in our system? Drafted players don't have a choice on the team they start out with. Once drafted, they commit to that team cause they have to and then start to develop ties to the city (like Subban did). But if they have a choice later in their careers, I think they have other priorities vs choosing the Habs... like Skinner. But hey, you can throw money at them and they possibly will sign.

Lets see if Duchene reaches UFA. Lets see if Bergevin is in on him and how it will unfold.

I don't have a problem with drafting or trading for players who grew up in Ontario. These guys are professionals and will commit to the teams they are on. But once they become UFA or have a choice (NMC/NTC), I don't count on them wanting to play for us vs other cities. Maybe if we throw money at them and/or have a better team they would :dunno:

Even if it were a possibility, it can't be concluded that he didn't want to come here simply because he's from Ontario...

It was clear the Canes wanted to get rid of Skinner. My hunch is, given the competitor he is, he would love to play in an intense hockey environment like Montreal. Plus us outbidding everyone would show him he was wanted here...

List is too long of Ontario players that loved playing here: from Dryden, Gainey, Robinson, kirk Muller, ..., to the Craig Rivet, Mike Johnson, Tom Kostopoulos, and Byron's ... I can't think of a player that didn't like it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Even if it were a possibility, it can't be concluded that he didn't want to come here simply because he's from Ontario...

It was clear the Canes wanted to get rid of Skinner. My hunch is, given the competitor he is, he would love to play in an intense hockey environment like Montreal. Plus us outbidding everyone would show him he was wanted here...

List is too long of Ontario players that loved playing here: from Dryden, Gainey, Robinson, kirk Muller, ..., to the Craig Rivet, Mike Johnson, Tom Kostopoulos, and Byron's ... I can't think of a player that didn't like it.
very true, our problems is quebec boys dont want to play here, the rest of canada loves montreal, russians love montreal, and metrosexuel americans love montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Well it can't be concluded that he was interested in coming to the Habs after our disaster season and that he was born in Ontario. How about that return they got for Skinner? Did the NMC affect his value? Remember those who tried to say that was what Patch was worth? :sarcasm:

You ignored what I said. How many top of the line-up players from Ontario other than Cammy that decided to sign with the Habs as a UFA? Not talking about players drafted, talking about players who decided to come to Montreal on their own either as a UFA or waiving their NMC/NTC in trade negotiations?

I just recalled another name. Doug Gilmour. I believed he signed with the Habs later on in his career. I don't believe this list to be very long. Gilmour and Cammy are two names that comes to mind over a span of 17 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well it can't be concluded that he was interested in coming to the Habs after our disaster season and that he was born in Ontario. How about that return they got for Skinner? Did the NMC affect his value? Remember those who tried to say that was what Patch was worth? :sarcasm:

You ignored what I said. How many top of the line-up players from Ontario other than Cammy that decided to sign with the Habs as a UFA? Not talking about players drafted, talking about players who decided to come to Montreal on their own either as a UFA or waiving their NMC/NTC in trade negotiations?

I just recalled another name. Doug Gilmour. I believed he signed with the Habs later on in his career. I don't believe this list to be very long. Gilmour and Cammy are two names that comes to mind over a span of 17 years.

I was speaking to Carolina fans all summer. They balked at a trade that would send them Pacioretty for Skinner. They said Skinner would be the better player given where they were at in their careers (so far, they're unsurprisingly right, just how right is surprising). Yet, they were wrong in not wanting to make such a trade and then flip Pacioretty. imo Pacioretty's value was so much higher because the market was way off - which is why I wanted to acquire Skinner in the first place as well as trade Pacioretty. I wouldn't have wanted Skinner at the Pacioretty price, but at the price he went for, which Waddell claims was the highest bid after talking to EVERY team, I would have wanted him at that price...

I think the market was so flawed for the same reason I suspect you don't think he's that valuable: he's small...

I'm not going to compile such a list. Can't go through every transaction and see who had what NTC/NMC. Johnson and Kostopoulos were UFA's. Muller cried when he was traded away and would have resigned. Rivet resigned. I don't think a lot of players from southern Ontario would block a trade to Montreal and then when one is later presented to go to Buffalo accept that one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was speaking to Carolina fans all summer. They balked at a trade that would send them Pacioretty for Skinner. They said Skinner would be the better player given where they were at in their careers (so far, they're unsurprisingly right, just how right is surprising). Yet, they were wrong in not wanting to make such a trade and then flip Pacioretty. imo Pacioretty's value was so much higher because the market was way off - which is why I wanted to acquire Skinner in the first place as well as trade Pacioretty. I wouldn't have wanted Skinner at the Pacioretty price, but at the price he went for, which Waddell claims was the highest bid after talking to EVERY team, I would have wanted him at that price...

I think the market was so flawed for the same reason I suspect you don't think he's that valuable: he's small...

I'm not going to compile such a list. Can't go through every transaction and see who had what NTC/NMC. Johnson and Kostopoulos were UFA's. Muller cried when he was traded away and would have resigned. Rivet resigned. I don't think a lot of players from southern Ontario would block a trade to Montreal and then when one is later presented to go to Buffalo accept that one.

Not trying to give you a hard time but I'll be clear (again). Not talking about players traded to our team or players we drafted. I'm talking about players from Ontario that choose Montreal as a UFA or waived their NMC/NTC. That list is very small. Cammy (in his prime) and Gilmour (end of his career) choose to sign with the Habs. I don't recall many others.

You are talking about players who were either traded or drafted. I'm not saying these guys are disgruntled and don't commit. They are professionals and once they come to our city and actually play games, they get tied to the city over the long haul. But to think Muller would of choose us as a UFA, I'm not so sure I agree.

Skinner had a choice with his NMC. He controlled his faith.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not trying to give you a hard time but I'll be clear (again). Not talking about players traded to our team or players we drafted. I'm talking about players from Ontario that choose Montreal as a UFA or waived their NMC/NTC. That list is very small. Cammy (in his prime) and Gilmour (end of his career) choose to sign with the Habs. I don't recall many others.

You are talking about players who were either traded or drafted. I'm not saying these guys are disgruntled and don't commit. They are professionals and once they come to our city and actually play games, they get tied to the city over the long haul. But to think Muller would of choose us as a UFA, I'm not so sure I agree.

Skinner had a choice with his NMC. He controlled his faith.

Skinner had a choice but I don't see any evidence he'd choose to waive to not go to Montreal and then turn around and accept a future move to Buffalo.

Speaking of small lists, how many Ontario players can you name that used their NMC to block a trade to Montreal when they were no longer wanted by the team they were playing for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad