McDrai have surpassed Peak Malksby?

McDavid and Draisaitl now have surpassed peak Crosby and peak Malkin?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It certainly was better than the 2021 Oilers.

MAF>Smith
Staal> RNH
Letang & Gonchar>Any Oilers D.

I think people are looking at MAF through nostalgic eyes. His performance in that particular playoffs wasn't any better than what the Oilers are getting out of Smith this season. In fact, it's worse. People seem to equate the Fleury who is playing for the Knights with the Fleury who played in the 2009 playoffs for some reason.

As far as Staal > RNH, defensively for sure. But offensively? Not really.

Letang was a 2nd year player. Again, like Fleury, people are equating what Letang became with what he was in 2009. The 2009 version of Letang was a 3rd pairing defender, not the prime version we've seen since around 2011 and beyond. The Oilers with Nurse and Barrie aren't lacking behind what the Pens got out of 35 year old Gonchar and their defense corps at the time.

That's the only reason people keep talking about Crosby/Malkin having a vastly superior supporting cast. Because people look at the names like Letang, Fleury and Gonchar, and associate them with when they were at the absolute BEST, and not what they were in that particular year.

Reactions: sanscosm

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think people are looking at MAF through nostalgic eyes. His performance in that particular playoffs wasn't any better than what the Oilers are getting out of Smith this season. In fact, it's worse. People seem to equate the Fleury who is playing for the Knights with the Fleury who played in the 2009 playoffs for some reason.

As far as Staal > RNH, defensively for sure. But offensively? Not really.

Letang was a 2nd year player. Again, like Fleury, people are equating what Letang became with what he was in 2009. The 2009 version of Letang was a 3rd pairing defender, not the prime version we've seen since around 2011 and beyond. The Oilers with Nurse and Barrie aren't lacking behind what the Pens got out of 35 year old Gonchar and their defense corps at the time.

That's the only reason people keep talking about Crosby/Malkin having a vastly superior supporting cast. Because people look at the names like Letang, Fleury and Gonchar, and associate them with when they were at the absolute BEST, and not what they were in that particular year.

Staal was better than RNH imo. I don't think they win that cup without him.

Fleury played well against Philly & Carolina. Had some shaky outings against Detroit. But his performances in game 6 & 7 were great.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Depends on how you look at it?
Offensive dominance, there is an argument. Overall game, Crosby Malkin were better.

That said this is a question you can't really ask for another 5-6 years. Until McDrai have passed their primes, you can't really compare the primes of the pairs.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
McDavid is better than Crosby ever was tbh

Drai isn’t in the same tier

None of the points matter until you win a cup anyway

Everyone prefers Cups over individual awards.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Oooh, look at all the regular season stat-padding!

Give me the guys who get it done when it actually matters, time-after-time.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Individual performance wise, I think they have topped Malkin and Crosby, but that hasn't translated to the same level of team success that Malkin and Crosby were so instrumental in creating.

Reactions: AyyLmao

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Regular season yes

Playoffs not close

Also Croskin has more flow then Malksby

Also McDrai sounds so much better

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
McDavid's current shortened season is the best of the 4 I think. Maybe you can give Crosby or Malkin an edge for best season if you value full 82 game season length a lot - but on a per game basis, I think McDavid's is the best.

Talking about a shortened season and per game basis, Jake Guentzel was 1.75 ppg in the playoffs a few years ago. I'd rate that higher than 1.89 ppg in the North division.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Talking about a shortened season and per game basis, Jake Guentzel was 1.75 ppg in the playoffs a few years ago. I'd rate that higher than 1.89 ppg in the North division.

Yeah, cuz playing shotgun to the best player in the world for 12 games is the same as dominating the league over 56 games. Good call

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid plays with reigning league MVP.

You're right, my bad. 12 games > 56 games.

By the way - here's my list of all-time greatest hockey players in history.

1. Darryl Sittler
2. Sam Gagner
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. etc

Because using your logic - if you take it down to 1 game on a per game basis - Gretzky's got nothing on Sittler's 10 point game, nor Gagner's 8 point game.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Individual performance wise, I think they have topped Malkin and Crosby, but that hasn't translated to the same level of team success that Malkin and Crosby were so instrumental in creating.
How has drai had a better individual performance than Crosby or malkin. I'd love to hear it

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
His 12 game sample size ? Lol ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad