McDonald Vs. Demko

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not too knowledgable on either of these guys, but from what I heard, Demko was the top goalie in the draft.

What is the comparison between the two, and which would you of preferred at 34?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
McDonald ;)

But I prefer Demko. Of course I know **** about goalie and how to scout them so I might not be the best to answer that

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
As of now, you have to go with Demko over McDonald. However, everyone knows goalies take a huge amount of time to develop and McDonald could easily be the consensus better goaltender by early next year.

Still would've preferred we passed on either and drafted a D-man, though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I watched Demko play at least 5 times with BC last year. Their defence was full of first and second rounders and I was very underwhelmed by him.

McDonald looks so much more comfortable and athletic compared to Demko. I was in the minority that cheered when we picked McD. I prefer him to Fucale actually FWIW.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As of now, you have to go with Demko over McDonald. However, everyone knows goalies take a huge amount of time to develop and McDonald could easily be the consensus better goaltender by early next year.

Still would've preferred we passed on either and drafted a D-man, though.
Demko is undergoing 2 hip surgeries this summer, for all we know he will never be the same again. From what I have seen McDonald and Demko were rated 1-2 for goaltenders, so it makes sense to take the #2 guy when the #1 guy has health questions.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Demko hasn't looked very solid behind a good team, and IIRC he's having surgery on his hips. which could affect his ability to come back.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I watched Demko play at least 5 times with BC last year. Their defence was full of first and second rounders and I was very underwhelmed by him.

McDonald looks so much more comfortable and athletic compared to Demko. I was in the minority that cheered when we picked McD. I prefer him to Fucale actually FWIW.

I'm with this, seen both 5 times or more - don't get the Demko hype.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm with this, seen both 5 times or more - don't get the Demko hype.
People seem to be ignoring the ages of Demko and the BC Blueline. Freshmen rarely play big roles right off the bat, but this past season BC had Demko (who you should not forget was a 17 year old freshman, not the typical 18 year old), McCoshen & Santini playing key roles. Then Metheson and Dougherty were just sophomores.

They looked inexperienced and made freshman mistakes, that was to be expected. If Demko heals properly from the surgery he is going to be a stud.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Yeah I'm aware of their team and their ages - doesn't really change my opinion. The Islanders are horrible too, you could argue McD got them into playoffs. Calgary would have scouted both extensively with the pair of guys in BC and the national goalie camp in Calgary. Button said goaltending was a priority in the draft and they spent a lot of time on their order/etc (gotta trust them? - I usually don't, but IMO McD looks better)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I'm aware of their team and their ages - doesn't really change my opinion. The Islanders are horrible too, you could argue McD got them into playoffs. Calgary would have scouted both extensively with the pair of guys in BC and the national goalie camp in Calgary. Button said goaltending was a priority in the draft and they spent a lot of time on their order/etc (gotta trust them? - I usually don't, but IMO McD looks better)
Oh definitely between the kids at BC and Pascall with Hockey Canada we'd have a great book on both goaltenders. I am happy with the pick, I am excited to see what he can do.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

I've heard that quite a bit about Demko. Never seen him though so I can't give my assessment, but I really like McDonald. I was a big fan of the pick as well. I even said before the draft that I'd be happy with getting him at 34.

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
This all sounds good. Makes me more comfortable with the pick now. Still would of liked for a d man there, but you can't have enough good goalies in the system as well.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I trust the higher ups here considering the connections we have with both programs in which these goalies come from.

Bobby MacMillan (flames scout) is part owner in Charlottetown so he likely has a vested interest and in depth knowledge of the type of player and person Mason McDonald is.

Both these players share the necessary athletic and physical tools to excel at the next level, but each have come from completely different playing environments.

McDonald was by far and away the best goaltender during the recent U18 tournament and joins some high end company as U18 WJC Best Goaltender award winners go with likes of Jusse Saros, John Gibson, Jack Campbell, Jake Allen, Jaroslav Halak, Ondrej Pavelec, and Karri Lehtonen. In addition to that he was the clear standout among goalies at the top prospects game and for what its worth was also the top goaltender taken in both his QMJHL and NHL draft eligible years!

If anything I feel like McDonald got underrated by a ton of people due to the team/system he played under in Acadie-Bathurst.

frostyhotdog

Oct 23, 2010
I am concerned over the longevity of someone who needs hip surgery before the age of 20.

So for me, McDonald AINEC.

Do you know how common these hip surgeries ate nowadays? Most goalies experience a full recovery and demko isn't even getting his done until after next year. It really isn't that big of a problem

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Everyone by now should know my opinion on prospects that play for Team Canada :laugh: But seriously, .907 save percentage on a bad team, .930 for a Canadian team that had a stacked D. I look forward to seeing what he can do once he leaves the Q.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Someone on the prospects board was just saying that he's gonna have a good team in front of him next year, so he should have a chance to impress.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I like this pick. I didn't really at first but the size and potential are both there. Out of all our picks I would say, behind Bennett, this one was the best. Though that's not saying much as I wasn't a fan of really any of our other picks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I believe it was Conroy I heard say that before the draft that their scouts were salivating over their 2nd pick, which of course ended up being McDonald. I think that's a very telling statement. The Flames did not try and trade that pick, you would have to think that McDonald was their target there from day 1. After the first day was completed, Treliving was interviewed and he said that some of the guys that had ranked in the 1st round were still on board, so obviously they really wanted him. You have to believe they really see something there in him. That's enough for me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I believe it was Conroy I heard say that before the draft that their scouts were salivating over their 2nd pick, which of course ended up being McDonald. I think that's a very telling statement. The Flames did not try and trade that pick, you would have to think that McDonald was their target there from day 1. After the first day was completed, Treliving was interviewed and he said that some of the guys that had ranked in the 1st round were still on board, so obviously they really wanted him. You have to believe they really see something there in him. That's enough for me.

All very true.... of Jankowski as well, though, so you know that not everyone is going to buy into this line of reasoning.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All very true.... of Jankowski as well, though, so you know that not everyone is going to buy into this line of reasoning.

Agree, man I really hope Janko lights it up this season! After drafting Bennett this year, I'm sure Janko is gonna feel a fire like no other time in his life to prove himself. He needs to have a big year.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Living on PEI, I've seen McDonald a number of times. He's very athletic with a great glove hand (his right hand, by the way). He has ice water in his veins (wonder if he's been getting transfusions from Kipper). I love a mentally tough goalie and, believe me, he kept the Charlottetown Islanders in games that should have been total blowouts. Love this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad