The Athletic - Boston McDonald: A list of Bruins most likely to be traded as GMs look to deal

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
but honestly in an effort to bury the hatchet if you need to read my posts and want to0 keep the discussion to disagreements about the topic... I don't mind, its only when you are trying to criticise my style or when you are telling me to shut up that I have any issues. the level that you try to censor other posters and me in particular is what bothers me

keep the topic to hockey and I am fine debating with you
I have never told you to shut up ever. Now suggesting you he a bit more brief, absolutely. Again, there is that convienant ignore button.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Trading Bjork or Donato would be selling low. Trading Miller would be a huge mistake. But Moore untouchable? That makes zero sense. Griz far more valuable than Moore. Don't think I'll be subscribing to the Athletic anytime soon. Fluto certainly no enticement either.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Trading Bjork or Donato would be selling low. Trading Miller would be a huge mistake. But Moore untouchable? That makes zero sense. Griz far more valuable than Moore. Don't think I'll be subscribing to the Athletic anytime soon. Fluto certainly no enticement either.

Moore is most likely listed because of how good he’s been But because the cap hit is extremely good.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Bruins are going to lose Gryz in the Seattle expansion draft so maybe now is the time to move him.

It depends on the return. I'd prefer to expose Moore and Grzelcyk and only lose one of them, rather than trading one and losing the other - then they're both gone. But then we are stacked at LD.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I don't think I'd worry too much about the expansion draft. The weakest position in the NHL might be RD which is where the Bruins lost a player to the last expansion but it is pretty remarkable if you look at this 4 year period (Sweeney's run) at RD.
1 - '15 trade Hamilton (CAR starter) [RD are Miller/Miller/McQuaid]
2 - '16 don't sign prospect Benning (EDM starter) because you have too many RD [RD are Carlo/Miller/Miller/McQuaid - w/playoff McAvoy]
3 - '17 lose Colin Miller (LVG starter) to Expansion [RD are McAvoy/Carlo/Miller/McQuaid]
4 - '18 trade McQuaid (NYR starter) [RD are McAvoy/Carlo/Miller - w/inj replacement Clifton]

The Bruins have supplied 4 RD who are current starter on other teams while keeping 3 for themselves and have another 2 or 3 prospects that will roll through by the time the expansion happens. They are even more stacked on LD right now so it's fine whomever they lose.

It's very early (8 games) into his career but I have an eerie feeling Lauzon might be the guy traded and it worries me because this could end up being similar to Montreal trading McDonagh. He's a big defensive stalwart that could put up 20-30 points a year while playing 20-25 minutes a night. If it is him, the return better be high.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
:popcorn:

McDonald: A list of Bruins most likely to be traded as GMs...

Once everyone is back and healthy, then it becomes decision-making time. Barring disaster, the Bruins will be buyers, so it’s a matter of who on the NHL team could be sacrificed without unduly hurting the club, or which prospect at the AHL level might be valuable enough to another team to bring back a useful piece in return. For the moment, the Bruins need to keep battling through their injuries, allow the younger core time to develop and then evaluate what they need closer to midseason. But when they do dive into the trade market, here’s an accounting of who should stay and who might go.

Untouchables

Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak
Charlie McAvoy
Zdeno Chara
John Moore
Goaltending

The almost untouchables

David Krejci
Torey Krug
Jake DeBrusk
Brandon Carlo
Urho Vaakanainen

Conceivable trades, but be careful

Joakim Nordstrom
Danton Heinen
Noel Acciari
Matt Grzelcyk

What would be the point?

David Backes
Chris Wagner
Kevan Miller
Steven Kampfer

Some possibilities

Anders Bjork
Ryan Donato
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson
Sean Kuraly
Jeremy Lauzon
Jakub Zboril

lost me at the Moore untouchable

like what I`ve seen thus far but...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have never told you to shut up ever. Now suggesting you he a bit more brief, absolutely. Again, there is that convienant ignore button.

I tell you what... whatever bad feelings I might have... im dropping them and starting fresh

and I am doing that with everyone here at hfboards. when I started here 15 years ago or whenever that was the place was small and I was able to know every single poster. hell, I used to recap the activities of the board every week for those who had missed something lol

I was younger and new to a forum that allowed me to chat with like minded individuals about my obsession... and I had almost infinite patience to deal with whatever life was throwing me

over the years... I lost that patience as I grew older. and this board certainly grew larger

and maybe I became to hyper sensitive to the idea that new people were joining year after year and were getting into fights with some of the origionals who had been with me creating what I felt was kind of a paradise here in the beginning

when theres 100s and 100s of people all debating here... theres going to be lots of little personal feuds and maybe I will quickly lose track of who is fighting with who

maybe I will not have a clear understanding of who is involved in who's clique. maybe I will become angry at the wrong people because of my confusion over who did what where and when

for a few years... I didn't really bother saying anything about how I viewed some debates getting too personal because I was offered a moderator job and I turned it down. I sort of gave up my right to say anything. and I don't own this place... there are owners here who get to decide what goes on and they aren't me. they get moderators to help them run it the way they want... and im not one of those. so I basically just became selfish and only responded to what I felt were attacks on myself. I left the greater battle to others.

I still believe the battle is a battle worth fighting though. what we had here in the beginning was so special that I wish we could bring it back. friends talking about their passionate love affair with other friends... that's something worth fighting for.

so ive told myself im going to just try to do my small tiny part with an example. im going to stomp down my natural instincts to throw elbows. im going to go back to suggesting the ignore button for those who cant handle my posting style

if people misquote me or mis represent me... im going to take the time to reexplain my pov. I don't care if people disagree with me. hell, it wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything... but I will still allow myself to get upset if they misrepresent me. I will still take time to correct it so my pov gets shared in my own words.

if someone is going to attack my lack of punctuation or my long winded posts... I will simply tell them im very passionate about this and I got a lot of spare time on my hands... unfortunately I have severe carpo tunnel and I choose to type with just 2 fingers here so im not going to capitalize much or use any fancy punctuation.

if everyone puts me on ignore... that's their right. honestly, I know they wont. and honestly theres way more people here than I could ever possibly get to know. the people that don't put me on ignore are more than enough for me to chat with. so people who hate my long winded posts or my lack of punctuation or my arrogant attitude... they could all put me on ignore and id be ok with it.

but for those who do want to discuss the hockey world and my favorite team with me... I will do my damn best to have fun discussing it right back with them. I hope this forum can find a nicer way to treat each other of its members and I cant make anyone follow suit but I can do my small part and try to be nicer myself.

so... as of today... this moment... everyone gets a fresh start with me. hopefully the bruins go on a big winning streak now and helps give us things that are happy and cheerful to talk about to make this new 'happy puppy' era an easier thing to kick off

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I will do a list how I would put our top 23 roster players

for untouchables... I can only put guys who would cause a political problem with the fan base or the operations of the team if traded because quite frankly there is no one on the team that is untouchable as far as talent goes. I mean if someone offered us connor McDavid for Patrice Bergeron lets face it... the trade will happen

so my untouchables
-----------------------
Patrice Bergeron {I think he can be the bridge between what let us win in 2011 and what might let the kids win in the future. tradition is so important in boston and he personifies tradition}

Zdeno Chara {with his NMC, his age, his signing a 1 year deal... it all adds up to hes not going anywhere}

my... it makes no sense to trade these guys
--------------------------------------------------
Brad Marchand... hes been our engine most the last 2 years
David Pastrnak… is probably positioned to be our best player in the next half dozen years
Charlie McAvoy... is the only real rival to Pastrnak as to who will be our best player
John Moore... you don't sign a guy to 5 year ufa and then trade him
Jaroslav Halak… his contract is good value for an important position on the team

guys who wont return anything to get excited about
------------------------------------------------------------
sean kuraly… I like him but 4th liners are worth much in a trade
chris Wagner
Joakim Nordstrom
Noel Accairi
Steven Kampfer

and then the rest of the team that for various reasons up for play
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Krecji has a nmc and a huge contract and we are weak at center... but theres logical reasons why the team might attempt to work around those issues to deal him. its far more likely it could happen in the offseason though when he loses some of his no trade protection

David Backes also has a NMC and a huge contract and we are weak at center and need more grit. he might end up included if we go shopping for some huge add... but its very unlikely we would attempt to move him now since we have the cap room to keep him and he does have a nmc and is an important part of the locker room

Jake Debrusk has performed well and we expect even more... but hes obviously the type of guy other teams will be asking about. if we get a good enough offer something could happen

Brandon Carlo is in the same boat as Debrusk

Tuuka Rask can do a 15 team ntc. if he wanted to avoid being traded he can pick the teams that wouldn't trade for him. but, if he gets upset at all the critism hes receiving he might just surprise us all and ask to get out.

Torey Krug's strengths are well known and valuable... his weakness might be debated by some. I think we all know he is a high cap hit and probably going up. if he is moved its going to be because we have lots of cheaper options and he would have value on the market and might return us something that helps us more.

Kevan Miller is kind of in the same boat as Krug but is a right hand shot and someone that might fight. 2 things we are in shorter supply of. Also he wouldn't return nearly as much in a trade as krug would

Matt Grezkycj comes without a lot of pedigree hype. but every game he goes out and excels he will be building his rep around the league. ultimately if we plan to keep krug we cant keep grez because both are going to end up competing for the same roster spot. My gut says Grez stays for now because hes cheaper than krug but once Urho gets established and if Lauzon gets a spot too... you can see we are quickly filling up the jobs and will have to be trading some of the exceess

Danton Heinen is a guy I see some saying will have to take a 2 year deal for around 1.5 mill per year... I guess that's why they think hes not likely a trade block target. I think he already has a good case for a 3 mill per year salary. the guys hes competing with for a job will be cheaper. If he were to get on a hot streak before the trade deadline... his value should be quite high to a rebuilding team. I would say the chances of being traded are fairly high if his play improves.

Anders Bjork future sort of depends on other guys. hes competing with debrusk/Heinen for opportunity. if they stay, he is more likely to be the one moved. but I think his trade value is at its lowest so my gut says he stays and its Heinen that gets moved for deadline help

the guys most likely to be moved this season
----------------------------------------------------
1. steven kampfer… quite honestly we have kids that deserve to take his spot but he might just get sent to minors and not traded

2. Noel Accari… would he clear waivers? Im not sure... I think the team is obligated to try to find a better player for this roster spot but im not sure where Accari will end up... minors or waivers or trade?

3. Torey Krug... if we are going to trade for a very good second line right winger this is the valuable trade chip we have to offer in exchange.

4. Danton Heinen... he wont be dealt unless he starts scoring points... but I believe he will start scoring points. we might not trade him until the off season but I don't think hes here next season

5. David Backes... we are going to need his cap room. it will be far easier to trade him after his signing bonus is paid next july

Reactions: LouJersey

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Some of these writers man

Why don’t I quit and just become a hockey beat writer. It’s like Netflix handing specials out like candy.

That's pretty harsh, but true, and kind of sums up how I feel about The Athletic Bruins coverage

Oddly enough the only Boston beat writer on there I like reading is Jay King on the Celtics and they're my least favorite of the 4 teams

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Two guys who I would put in the Some possibilities list would be Heinen and Miller.

You are dead to me.

Seriously, I don’t want them to deal Heinen, but I would move him in the right deal.

I would just move Donato first :laugh:

I like Joe Mac, but was not at all impressed with the article. Apparently, because the Athletic tried to charge me before the trial period was up and I got Apple involved to credit my account, I can still see the articles?

I have read a few and I don’t think I’m missing much.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bruins are going to lose Gryz in the Seattle expansion draft so maybe now is the time to move him.

It appears they will lose one of him or Moore if the rules are the same for the next expansion draft (and I believe they are)?

You assume the three the B’s would protect are: McAvoy, Carlo, Krug (if he’s still here). If Krug is gone, they protect whomever they like better between Moore and Grizz.

This is assuming that UV, Lauzon, Zboril are all exempt. I know 1st and 2nd year Pros are exempt and the draft will take place before 7/1/20, so I think they would not have to be protected.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Some of these writers man

Why don’t I quit and just become a hockey beat writer. It’s like Netflix handing specials out like candy.

If your serious, there are opportunities for blog writers on Fansided.
It's a large sports site with pages for each NA sports team. They also go outside sports, so fans of anything have their sections as well.

You will be pretty much expected to write every week though AND the readers can be brutal if you don't cross every t and dot every i. You have to know what you are talking about or you will get shredded in the comments.

There also is no guarantee you will be able to write for the Bruins section. But writing for any team will get your feet wet and give you a MASSIVE perspective of the actual paid writers.

Doing it day in and day out is a challenge, even the beat writers I don't like have at least earned my respect for that.

I know someone who is looking for writers on the Winnipeg Jets board if there are any fans who want to give writing a shot over there.

Send me a PM.

PS: Not advocating or advertising. Just letting people know there are options if they are serious about writing.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It appears they will lose one of him or Moore if the rules are the same for the next expansion draft (and I believe they are)?

You assume the three the B’s would protect are: McAvoy, Carlo, Krug (if he’s still here). If Krug is gone, they protect whomever they like better between Moore and Grizz.

This is assuming that UV, Lauzon, Zboril are all exempt. I know 1st and 2nd year Pros are exempt and the draft will take place before 7/1/20, so I think they would not have to be protected.

I think if Seattle employs the same type of strategy they won't be interested in Moore's 3 years left which is why I think the Bruins gave him 5. Vegas didn't take anyone over 1 year IIRC besides a side deal or two where they obtained a player

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
if i was being paid to do a list... instead of just saying this guy is untouchable {which we know no one is...}
or this guy is 'crap' {which some are... but usually not very many guys on your top 23 roster fall into this category... youd probably be safer putting career ahl guys into a category of total crap}

id try to do something more than any dolt here on the forum could do and just toss out such very base observations that someone watching hockey for 2-3 years could formulate themselves

id maybe... grade each player on a likely 'win/lose' scenario

for example... we wont trade chara for many reasons... but it could make for a very lively debate if i suggested we could win a trade. on the one hand theres bad pr that comes from trading an icon... a face of a franchise... there is also value to veterns that you want to keep happy to let them know they will be treated well in their advanced years. it builds more loyalty when you are trying to convince them to stick around in their useful younger years.

but on the other hand... how much could chara return in a trade? he falls into that 'pending ufa' category and when we had guys like loui Eriksson here and when islanders had john Tavares last year... many fans here get their panties in a tangle and suggest you need to trade a pending ufa before you lose him for 'nothing.'

well... chara could easily retire next year... so this is very much a situation we might lose him for nothing if we keep him.

chara actually has a nmc… so trading him would not be a simple thing. that and he is injured. but then you need to factor in he will get a 1.5 million dollar bonus at the end of the year {1.75 if we win the cup}

it would be very controversial to suggest we trade him for many reasons... but if a writer wanted to bring up a discussion that you and i might not... they could do some research and digging and try to make an argument why it should be considered.

is there room to keep both krug and chara? a lot of us are saying lets trade krug… but would it be better to keep krug? how do things shake out?

i think we want moore here... and i think we should want grez here... so who is going to be the 3rd guy? where do urhu and lauzon and zboril factor in?

if chara was worth... say 2 first round picks... and i think he would be... should we just accept hes untouchable?

i guess he is... he probably wont waive his nmc… but if i was going to be making an article would it at least make sense to put him into a category {interesting but unlikely?}

i mean krecji has a nmc… but isn't called untouchable... why? what makes krecji more movable than chara? i would think another team would be more scared of krecjis contract. i don't think the other team would feel krecji brings more to the table than chara. and our depth is at left shot defense... not center

so what would possibly make krecji more tradable than chara?

krecji is unpopular so you win brownie points suggesting he could be dealt... and even more brownie points suggesting backes could be dealt. but both have nmc.

anyhow... i don't have a lot more to add to this thread. so if anyone wanted to criticize me further for commenting on it feel free. but this list is exactly the type of crap i read here on hf every single freaking day and if someone wants me to pay to read what they are doing... they have to be better

i can't see (1) the Bruins trading Chara or him agreeing to a trade or (2) netting 2 first rounders for him but that's just my opinion. Based on all the talent and what his next contract would likely require Krug is the obvious trade candidate - he would bring a quality top 6 and that leaves the glut on D to fill his void. The optimal time would be next year assuming Vaak or someone else has stepped up into a more prominent role. No one player could replace his offensive upside - it would be by committee

Reactions: Strafer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

They have to have 3 years of professional experience or they do not need protecting. It is considered a year once they play 10 games during a season. Lauzon will likely get there this year, but then requires 2 more.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
:popcorn:

McDonald: A list of Bruins most likely to be traded as GMs...

Once everyone is back and healthy, then it becomes decision-making time. Barring disaster, the Bruins will be buyers, so it’s a matter of who on the NHL team could be sacrificed without unduly hurting the club, or which prospect at the AHL level might be valuable enough to another team to bring back a useful piece in return. For the moment, the Bruins need to keep battling through their injuries, allow the younger core time to develop and then evaluate what they need closer to midseason. But when they do dive into the trade market, here’s an accounting of who should stay and who might go.

Untouchables

Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak
Charlie McAvoy
Zdeno Chara
John Moore
Goaltending

The almost untouchables

David Krejci
Torey Krug
Jake DeBrusk
Brandon Carlo
Urho Vaakanainen

Conceivable trades, but be careful

Joakim Nordstrom
Danton Heinen
Noel Acciari
Matt Grzelcyk

What would be the point?

David Backes
Chris Wagner
Kevan Miller
Steven Kampfer

Some possibilities

Anders Bjork
Ryan Donato
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson
Sean Kuraly
Jeremy Lauzon
Jakub Zboril

I rolled my eyes once I saw John Moore/Rask listed as untouchable?

no WAY

my list

Untouchables
1st line
Debrusk

Almost untouchables
vaaka
lauzon
halak
carlo
mcAvoy
axel andersson
Vladar

Thats it imo

If the Bruins for example can get a Panarin or Kane and it took a combo of Krejci, Krug.... you do that trade everytime

Bruins are deeep at the backend (Ds, Goalies)

Team needs help upfront/depth

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad