The Athletic - Boston McDonald: A list of Bruins most likely to be traded as GMs look to deal

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

McDonald: A list of Bruins most likely to be traded as GMs...

Once everyone is back and healthy, then it becomes decision-making time. Barring disaster, the Bruins will be buyers, so it’s a matter of who on the NHL team could be sacrificed without unduly hurting the club, or which prospect at the AHL level might be valuable enough to another team to bring back a useful piece in return. For the moment, the Bruins need to keep battling through their injuries, allow the younger core time to develop and then evaluate what they need closer to midseason. But when they do dive into the trade market, here’s an accounting of who should stay and who might go.

Untouchables

Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak
Charlie McAvoy
Zdeno Chara
John Moore
Goaltending

The almost untouchables

David Krejci
Torey Krug
Jake DeBrusk
Brandon Carlo
Urho Vaakanainen

Conceivable trades, but be careful

Joakim Nordstrom
Danton Heinen
Noel Acciari
Matt Grzelcyk

What would be the point?

David Backes
Chris Wagner
Kevan Miller
Steven Kampfer

Some possibilities

Anders Bjork
Ryan Donato
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson
Sean Kuraly
Jeremy Lauzon
Jakub Zboril

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
list would be more interesting if it has some context... I have to say as it is presented it seems almost a waste of time

just a couple thoughts

rask has obviously been prone to some slumps over the last few years... and goaltenders are notorious for being mentally fragile. as the fans continue to be on his case, a situation like this can turn on a dime. history is full of guys in similar situations being traded within a week or two of things going to hell in a hand basket.

torey krug is expensive and about to get more expensive. if we feel we have cheaper options to play big mins at a better overall level of contribution then krug's special skill set might not be worth the price.

noel accari is likely losing his job soon... why would we need to be careful trading him?

kevan miller would have value if dealt... its quite an insult to put him in this why bother category lol... I mean even McQuaid brought us back a pick and a player

as for the possibilities... they are all need to be careful. none of them have their value very high at the moment. sure, we could trade them but how would they be worth a big return? and if we trade low... whats the point? definitely need to be careful trading kids that aren't having great seasons

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
list would be more interesting if it has some context... I have to say as it is presented it seems almost a waste of time

just a couple thoughts

rask has obviously been prone to some slumps over the last few years... and goaltenders are notorious for being mentally fragile. as the fans continue to be on his case, a situation like this can turn on a dime. history is full of guys in similar situations being traded within a week or two of things going to hell in a hand basket.

torey krug is expensive and about to get more expensive. if we feel we have cheaper options to play big mins at a better overall level of contribution then krug's special skill set might not be worth the price.

noel accari is likely losing his job soon... why would we need to be careful trading him?

kevan miller would have value if dealt... its quite an insult to put him in this why bother category lol... I mean even McQuaid brought us back a pick and a player

as for the possibilities... they are all need to be careful. none of them have their value very high at the moment. sure, we could trade them but how would they be worth a big return? and if we trade low... whats the point? definitely need to be careful trading kids that aren't having great seasons

There is context in the article but we are limited in what we can use

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
There is context in the article but we are limited in what we can use

that's fair enough

I guess I would like to see what possible argument he makes... but honestly I think if we took 30 posters here and let them each make their own list...

id probably find an equal value to what I see in this list. I wish professional guys earning a living from this sort of thing were more consistent in producing a higher quality of article that supercedes what I see here from us amateurs on a daily basis

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

just a couple thoughts

All good points Mike.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
that's fair enough

I guess I would like to see what possible argument he makes... but honestly I think if we took 30 posters here and let them each make their own list...

id probably find an equal value to what I see in this list. I wish professional guys earning a living from this sort of thing were more consistent in producing a higher quality of article that supercedes what I see here from us amateurs on a daily basis
So you admit you didn’t read it but continue to criticize it. Perfect

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Can't say I agree with any one of his sub-lists.

Untouchables
John Moore - I know he's played well, but come on. Untouchable?
Goaltending - Again, I could see a world where one goalie was dealt for something that could help and another goalie coming back.

The almost untouchables
Torey Krug - I think they have a decision to make here. Tons of depth on the left side, and a big contract looming. He's an impact player for sure, but one with limitations. His trade value is only going to go down the closer we get to free agency.

Noel Acciari- We have to be careful about trading Nordstrom and Acciari?

What would be the point?
Kevan Miller - IMO, Kevan Miller is a legit top4 defenseman. At the very least guys like him are highly sought after at the trade deadline. No doubt in my mind he could fetch a 2nd or a couple interesting prospects.

Some possibilities
Ryan Donato - I think there's very, very little chance Don Sweeney deals Teddy's kid.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I’m with you Bill. A couple stand out to me:

“Careful” about trading Noel Acciari? Why the hell do we have to be careful about trading Noel Acciari?

Torey Krug is the big one to me. I see all the reasons why we “need” to keep him, but he clearly would have real trade value and we have some depth at his position. Are you going to have to overpay him to get him to stay? Is he durable enough to handle long playoff runs? Do you want to pay a bottom pair dman with elite offense $6m+ on a long term deal? I see these as good questions. And after all, you have to give to get.

Overall, if you want to make real changes you have to be open to moving real talent. I think the Bruins would be wise to be open minded on Krug, Krejci and Carlo. You might not find a great partner for those guys, but I’d be open to talking about them.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So you admit you didn’t read it but continue to criticize it. Perfect

no... I read the posts I comment on

I went into detail about my disagreements

if he makes a case for his side... I made a case for my side... the list itself is flawed beyond any ability to defend. im glad at least he made an attempt to defend it. and I said I would be interested to read it. then I went into generalities and said I wish people that got paid for this would do a better job then us posters

I doubt you read anything I did here before you decided to criticize me. or you didn't comprehend? either way I hope my taking time to explain my point helps

id like to bury the hatchet with you... I don't really get this need you have to jump all over me. it seems it would make your life so much happier to just put me on ignore

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Untouchables
Goaltending - Again, I could see a world where one goalie was dealt for something that could help and another goalie coming back.

The almost untouchables
Torey Krug - I think they have a decision to make here. Tons of depth on the left side, and a big contract looming. He's an impact player for sure, but one with limitations. His trade value is only going to go down the closer we get to free agency.

What would be the point?
Kevan Miller - IMO, Kevan Miller is a legit top4 defenseman. At the very least guys like him are highly sought after at the trade deadline. No doubt in my mind he could fetch a 2nd or a couple interesting prospects.

Some possibilities
Ryan Donato - I think there's very, very little chance Don Sweeney deals Teddy's kid.

just for the sake of debating a list that doesn't give us a lot of room to debate anything... I will say I can defend moore on the untouchable list. its always a huge red flag when a team signs an ufa to a multi year deal and then trades him this soon

I still remember how badly it impacted on the team when the clique ran dave scatchard out of town. we had to burn things to the ground and trade half the team away before we recovered from that locker room cancer and I think it negatively impacted our ability to get ufa. it became necessary to clean house in our front office and bring in Chiarelli from outside to clear the stentch

Reactions: Strafer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
no... I read the posts I comment on

I went into detail about my disagreements

if he makes a case for his side... I made a case for my side... the list itself is flawed beyond any ability to defend. im glad at least he made an attempt to defend it. and I said I would be interested to read it. then I went into generalities and said I wish people that got paid for this would do a better job then us posters

I doubt you read anything I did here before you decided to criticize me. or you didn't comprehend? either way I hope my taking time to explain my point helps

id like to bury the hatchet with you... I don't really get this need you have to jump all over me. it seems it would make your life so much happier to just put me on ignore

You are the one disagreeing with and criticizing a column and writer of it that you admit you didn’t read. If you don’t like someone criticizing you back then that is on you.

By my count this has to be about the 5th or 6th time you suggest I put you on ignore.
My advice to you is to follow your own advice when it comes to that ignore button.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You are the one disagreeing with and criticizing a column and writer of it that you admit you didn’t read. If you don’t like someone criticizing you back then that is on you.

By my count this has to be about the 5th or 6th time you suggest I put you on ignore.
My advice to you is to follow your own advice when it comes to that ignore button.

I cant remember ever responding to any post you weren't slamming me... trust me I don't read your posts for anything you might be contributing to the discussion because it simply doesn't interest me at all

but if you want to take shots at me without me answering... that's interesting. I guess it would make it easier? sorry... you will have to deal with me defending myself. I know its not what people like you prefer so again... sorry

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I cant remember ever responding to any post you weren't slamming me... trust me I don't read your posts for anything you might be contributing to the discussion because it simply doesn't interest me at all

but if you want to take shots at me without me answering... that's interesting. I guess it would make it easier? sorry... you will have to deal with me defending myself. I know its not what people like you prefer so again... sorry

but honestly in an effort to bury the hatchet if you need to read my posts and want to0 keep the discussion to disagreements about the topic... I don't mind, its only when you are trying to criticise my style or when you are telling me to shut up that I have any issues. the level that you try to censor other posters and me in particular is what bothers me

keep the topic to hockey and I am fine debating with you

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Please do not trade Killer, he is terribly underrated and worth more than the trade would be for. Otherwise I'm good with whatever, we need more offensive depth at forward, this move is better tomorrow than next month as it could start costing us points.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if i was being paid to do a list... instead of just saying this guy is untouchable {which we know no one is...}
or this guy is 'crap' {which some are... but usually not very many guys on your top 23 roster fall into this category... youd probably be safer putting career ahl guys into a category of total crap}

id try to do something more than any dolt here on the forum could do and just toss out such very base observations that someone watching hockey for 2-3 years could formulate themselves

id maybe... grade each player on a likely 'win/lose' scenario

for example... we wont trade chara for many reasons... but it could make for a very lively debate if i suggested we could win a trade. on the one hand theres bad pr that comes from trading an icon... a face of a franchise... there is also value to veterns that you want to keep happy to let them know they will be treated well in their advanced years. it builds more loyalty when you are trying to convince them to stick around in their useful younger years.

but on the other hand... how much could chara return in a trade? he falls into that 'pending ufa' category and when we had guys like loui Eriksson here and when islanders had john Tavares last year... many fans here get their panties in a tangle and suggest you need to trade a pending ufa before you lose him for 'nothing.'

well... chara could easily retire next year... so this is very much a situation we might lose him for nothing if we keep him.

chara actually has a nmc… so trading him would not be a simple thing. that and he is injured. but then you need to factor in he will get a 1.5 million dollar bonus at the end of the year {1.75 if we win the cup}

it would be very controversial to suggest we trade him for many reasons... but if a writer wanted to bring up a discussion that you and i might not... they could do some research and digging and try to make an argument why it should be considered.

is there room to keep both krug and chara? a lot of us are saying lets trade krug… but would it be better to keep krug? how do things shake out?

i think we want moore here... and i think we should want grez here... so who is going to be the 3rd guy? where do urhu and lauzon and zboril factor in?

if chara was worth... say 2 first round picks... and i think he would be... should we just accept hes untouchable?

i guess he is... he probably wont waive his nmc… but if i was going to be making an article would it at least make sense to put him into a category {interesting but unlikely?}

i mean krecji has a nmc… but isn't called untouchable... why? what makes krecji more movable than chara? i would think another team would be more scared of krecjis contract. i don't think the other team would feel krecji brings more to the table than chara. and our depth is at left shot defense... not center

so what would possibly make krecji more tradable than chara?

krecji is unpopular so you win brownie points suggesting he could be dealt... and even more brownie points suggesting backes could be dealt. but both have nmc.

anyhow... i don't have a lot more to add to this thread. so if anyone wanted to criticize me further for commenting on it feel free. but this list is exactly the type of crap i read here on hf every single freaking day and if someone wants me to pay to read what they are doing... they have to be better

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Sadly I

Untouchables

The almost untouchables

What would be the point?

Some possibilities
Sadly I Think you are right about Donato and the blatant nepotism will cost the Bruins a chance to move the next Frank Vatrano while they could still get a good return for him.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not impressed. Can’t say I agree with the list. In what planet is the be careful group relevant. Seems like a Fluto article. I’m sure if 50 people read it, you’ll get 50 lists. Opinion of the writer. Bruins have crap writers. Haggs doesn’t even travel with the ten most of the time and watches the games like we do. Has his own agenda. This guy, isn’t breaking anything with this article. I never read Fluto’s takes. Meh...

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Big Fail by McDonald

I expected better
I don't, he's been subpar for years now. Can't wash the ESPN virus out of him.

I mean honestly in what world is Noel Accari even being considered as someone to not trade?

"What's the point" regarding Backes? Hmm I don't know Joe? How about shedding a big contract for an underperformer?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
if i was being paid to do a list... instead of just saying this guy is untouchable {which we know no one is...}
or this guy is 'crap' {which some are... but usually not very many guys on your top 23 roster fall into this category... youd probably be safer putting career ahl guys into a category of total crap}

id try to do something more than any dolt here on the forum could do and just toss out such very base observations that someone watching hockey for 2-3 years could formulate themselves

id maybe... grade each player on a likely 'win/lose' scenario

for example... we wont trade chara for many reasons... but it could make for a very lively debate if i suggested we could win a trade. on the one hand theres bad pr that comes from trading an icon... a face of a franchise... there is also value to veterns that you want to keep happy to let them know they will be treated well in their advanced years. it builds more loyalty when you are trying to convince them to stick around in their useful younger years.

but on the other hand... how much could chara return in a trade? he falls into that 'pending ufa' category and when we had guys like loui Eriksson here and when islanders had john Tavares last year... many fans here get their panties in a tangle and suggest you need to trade a pending ufa before you lose him for 'nothing.'

well... chara could easily retire next year... so this is very much a situation we might lose him for nothing if we keep him.

chara actually has a nmc… so trading him would not be a simple thing. that and he is injured. but then you need to factor in he will get a 1.5 million dollar bonus at the end of the year {1.75 if we win the cup}

it would be very controversial to suggest we trade him for many reasons... but if a writer wanted to bring up a discussion that you and i might not... they could do some research and digging and try to make an argument why it should be considered.

is there room to keep both krug and chara? a lot of us are saying lets trade krug… but would it be better to keep krug? how do things shake out?

i think we want moore here... and i think we should want grez here... so who is going to be the 3rd guy? where do urhu and lauzon and zboril factor in?

if chara was worth... say 2 first round picks... and i think he would be... should we just accept hes untouchable?

i guess he is... he probably wont waive his nmc… but if i was going to be making an article would it at least make sense to put him into a category {interesting but unlikely?}

i mean krecji has a nmc… but isn't called untouchable... why? what makes krecji more movable than chara? i would think another team would be more scared of krecjis contract. i don't think the other team would feel krecji brings more to the table than chara. and our depth is at left shot defense... not center

so what would possibly make krecji more tradable than chara?

krecji is unpopular so you win brownie points suggesting he could be dealt... and even more brownie points suggesting backes could be dealt. but both have nmc.

anyhow... i don't have a lot more to add to this thread. so if anyone wanted to criticize me further for commenting on it feel free. but this list is exactly the type of crap i read here on hf every single freaking day and if someone wants me to pay to read what they are doing... they have to be better

^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->