Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Every year, Jeff Gorton's facial features move closer and toward the center by 0.2 mm.
04e4a45d442d7f4e0353956ef54b13c6--to-draw-family-guy.jpg

Can't wait for Larry Brooks to say, "Wait. I have to draw you."

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I have to wonder how much McDonagh being injured hurt his trade value. I know they checked medical records and spoke with doctors, but any time a guy is not 100% it has to be a concern.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I have to wonder how much McDonagh being injured hurt his trade value. I know they checked medical records and spoke with doctors, but any time a guy is not 100% it has to be a concern.

We sold low on him. It's absolutely the reason why we didn't get the return all the fans wanted/expected.

It's ok because he is on the decline naturally and we still got a nice haul.

Reactions: haveandare

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
We sold low on him. It's absolutely the reason why we didn't get the return all the fans wanted/expected.

Yeah, it is what it is. I'm just thinking his being banged up is part of the reason the return wasn't a bit better. I didn't see much talk about that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm not sure that's accurate.

No one was expressed any known concerns about his health related to this injury, and Yzerman said that he could play if they wanted/needed him to. They're protecting him for the playoff run.

I do not believe, nor have I heard any report, any murmur, anywhere that this injury impacted his sale price.

His value was what it was guys.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I disagree. We were never going to get a Point or a Sergachev. Maybe for a split second when I saw Miller was also going to Tampa I got my hopes up and I'm sure most of us felt the same way.

And I understand Gorton not wanting to hold out for a potentially better offer at the draft. At least now he knows what he is working with, instead of the unknown of what we might get 4 months from now on the morning of the draft. The biggest draft of Gorton's career and it will likely define his tenure as GM as it's going to send us on a trajectory one way or the other.

Gorton better have a big plan in mind to move up in the draft if we don't get luck in the lotto and are outside of the top 5.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
There was at least three teams in the running for him. How is that selling low?

One has nothing to do with the other?

Of course multiple teams were interested in him, but if he was performing at the level he was a few seasons ago, AND wasn't injured that is when it would be considered selling high on him and would have returned a lot more.

All things considered, I think we did pretty well in the trade.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One has nothing to do with the other?

Of course multiple teams were interested in him, but if he was performing at the level he was a few seasons ago, AND wasn't injured that is when it would be considered selling high on him and would have returned a lot more.

All things considered, I think we did pretty well in the trade.

McDonagh doens't get traded if he's playing at the level he was a few seasons ago.

He gets signed to 8x10.

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
McDonagh doens't get traded if he's playing at the level he was a few seasons ago.

He gets signed to 8x10.

Possibly but there were other factors besides his health that would have played into that decision. He was a captain of a team that made it close but didn’t get it. He could have been moved for that but at a higher return if healthier.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

He gets signed to 8x10.

I think there's a difference when describing his cumulative injuries and level slippage, and how that impacts his value, compared to the belief that his current ailment was the difference between the value we received or a better return.

I think cumulatively, his return is not what it would've been in 2015.

I think short-term, it's a stretch to say that anyone viewed his current injury as having an impact on his trade value at the deadline.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They probably took the best value where all offers were lower compared to hypothetical corresponding offers if he was healthy.

I think it is more likely we're still in denial about what his actual 2018 value was to the rest of the league, and we swear that one factor or the other was the difference between the return we got and the unicorn we were dreaming about.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We got an arguably better return for McDonagh than we gave for Yandle, at the very least.

It may not have been what we hoped for but if Gorts didnt think the value would go up at the draft then its better than taking a diminished return on him like what happened with Bouwmeester at a similar age.

Reactions: shinchanyo

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm not sure that's accurate.

No one was expressed any known concerns about his health related to this injury, and Yzerman said that he could play if they wanted/needed him to. They're protecting him for the playoff run.

I do not believe, nor have I heard any report, any murmur, anywhere that this injury impacted his sale price.

His value was what it was guys.

It's negotiating 101 to point out anything negative that can give you leverage to a better deal.

Yzerman also had more leverage in the negotiation because of the fact that he didn't absolutely need to make the deal, but the Rangers did.

McDonagh being injured only could have helped Yzerman in the negotiations because he's an asset that can't be used right now, and has been injured a majority of this season (hence why his play was so poor).

We don't know many details about the injury, but it's obviously something worthy enough that if he didn't have the proper time to heal, could be nagging even during playoff time.

If McDonagh was 100% healthy, and playing at a high level, the ball would be in Gorton's court from a leverage perspective in what he wanted to demand. That could have very well been more than what we got.

But, we will never know in discussing what if's...like I said earlier, I think we made out pretty good in the trade all things considered.

I'd say it was a win/win for both teams. Even more so for us in the long term since we don't have to be responsible for his next contract.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it is more likely we're still in denial about what his actual 2018 value was to the rest of the league, and we swear that one factor or the other was the difference between the return we got and the unicorn we were dreaming about.

What kind of defenseman this return tells us McD is?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It tells us he is a first pairing guy who has a lot of mileage on him, who is a bit off-prime and who has a contract that expires in 16 months.

Kinda the same as what most reasonable evaluations of him around here so the price we got is pretty fair. Which is also something that most agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad