Confirmed with Link: McDonagh + Miller to Tampa Bay for Namestnikov + Howden + Hajek + 2018 1st + conditional 2019 1st

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I like the picks. Hate Namestnikov , he is not a goal scorer. He's young so he still has some time. Hes a third liner and we have plenty of them. Don't like the fact that Gorton didn't get a better return for a #1 defenseman and JT Miller. Don't know much on the prospects so I won't judge them but again they were able to keep their TOP prospects for a number 1 defenseman +.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I can't quote anything. Don't know what you've got till it's gone lol.

Here's what i said a week+ ago

"You hope to get a top prospect who can either fill the top 4 D or top 6 F for the next 6-10 years instead of hoping McD stays on top for maybe 2- 4 more

Then you add additional picks or prospects to fill one or two other spots as well. Really you're aiming for 3 legitimate shots to fill in your top 6 or top 4.

You have the advantage of shopping for guys who were drafted two or three years ago so the # of question marks about them are much less."

I think i called Howden or Foote, lower prospect, 1 and 2nd exactly in another thread but the crashed site is preventing me from going back.

I'm not a hockey genius, this is what Ryan McD's cost, it's what we got.

Reactions: Ori, RGY and Trxjw

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This(?!) blew away Gorton? We were told he needs to get blown away.

BTW, TBL fans think Namestnokov statsare inflated by his teammates and don't like him.

Awful trade. If this was the best offer, might as well have waited until the summer.

Oh no Tampa fans didn't like him!

They're morons. I'm not super high on him either and his stats were for sure propped up by his teammates, but its not like Miller was lighting it up here.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
An underrated upside to this is that there's a very clear team to be rooting for with the Rangers out of it for the foreseeable future. Hate on Stevie Y all you want, but he built a really good looking team, and I for one will have no problem rooting for them with so many former Rangers there.

The rebuild is really happening by the way. I still didn't fully believe before this trade went down.

Will be very interesting to see if McD plays right away or if he is really injured.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Namistikov is darn average. If this was the deal for McD, sure I wouldn’t have liked it. But... This for McD AND Miller? f*** that. Gorton is heading into deep water.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The thing that worries me about Howden, is yeah he's doing great in the WHL but he's very nearly 20 and was drafted two years ago. Compare that to Lias and Chytil who are younger and in the AHL producing well against men, ex-NHLers, future NHLers, etc.

Is his production really all that good for someone his age and size in the WHL?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
people are freeking out that the return did include serg. not sure there was ever that chance.

the 2 picks are good value esp if tampa wins. 2 1sts would be huge for a rebuilding team like we are.

jtmiller wore out his welcome. dumb play too often. vlady is our leading scorer. talent for talent, hes better.

sadly, mcd27 is wearing out. his body is beat up. he's due a 2nd bid contract. we retained no money.

the 2 prospects are solid. tampa drafts quality kids.

are we guilty of overvaluing here too much ? i mean what has mcd27 and miller ever won ? arent they part of the can kicking crew ?

im thinking we make a HUGE splash in this draft. were after DAHLIN.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
NYR sending a terrible message to future players

1. Captains get traded on the reg
2. Once you hit 28 you're on the way out OR if you're nearing 30 with an expiring contract you're on the way out
3. No loyalty whatsoever to heart and soul guys. Trading McDonagh, Callahan, Nash, Miller, Grabner etc.. what's the incentive to give 110% for this team when they'll just trade you anyway?

Rebuilding is fine; what is not fine is amassing a bunch of late 1st round picks to replace guys like Nash and Miller, WHO YOU JUST TRADED AWAY TO GET THOSE PICKS.

This all makes negative sense unless the Rangers take some of these assets and move up for a top 3 pick. Literally no sense otherwise. They're not (well, weren't) that bad of a team where they needed a complete teardown. I would've been fine with just moving Nash, Holden and Grabner. This trade makes no sense to me

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
For those who don’t like the trade you are WRONG Consider the following

JT Miller is brain dead. Him for Nemestikov is a wash.

McD would have required 6 years 7 million minimum if we kept him and his play for us was CRAP.

We traded him for 2 stud prospects and a first. Plus a second (conditionally a first).

I think we got too much for him

Only way it would have been better is if we got rid of Zibby too

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Namestikov and Miller are a wash in my mind. Ones Russian so his mistakes will make the mainstream media while jt millers screw ups only show up on this website

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I like this trade quite a bit.

Miller for Namestnikov is a win my book. I've soured tremendously on Miller over the past season, and I've always been fond of Namestnikov. I like him more than Miller.

Howden and Hajek are top 50 prospects. Howden in particular looks like a beast. The 1st gives us even more ammo in a stacked class.

Gorton is trying to build a feeder system. Look at teams like Boston and Winnipeg; they draft nearly all of their stud talents, and they draft nearly all of their high end complimentary pieces. Then, they supplement with FAs and trades.

I think the people that are pissed had this perfect idea of a McDonagh deal in their head, and clearly this wasn't their perfect deal. Doesn't mean it's a bad deal. Which it isn't IMO.

This is a step in the right direction. We've added 4 prospects to our top 10 before the draft, where we have 8(!) picks in the first three rounds. People wanted a rebuild, this is what a rebuilding trade looks like.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Namestikov and Miller are a wash in my mind. Ones Russian so his mistakes will make the mainstream media while jt millers screw ups only show up on this website

Miller has had more consistency. A lot of TB users seem to think Namestnikov is just a product of his line this year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ridiculous. Yeah lets be completely unwatchable horrendous for 5 years, worked so well for Buffalo right.

You're overreacting. We've added a lot of prospects and picks. We've got Andersson and Chytil and our own 1st rounder should be top 10, possibly top 3, in a deep draft.

Despite the moves we made, we still have some good players: Zib, Kreider, Zucc, Skjei. We picked up both Spooner and Namestnikov, who help offset the losses of Miller and Nash.

We will have a lot of cap space this summer, enabling us to make other moves or sign players.

The future isn't nearly as bleak as you think.

Reactions: JayMan82

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Namestnikov for Miller is a wash. Two guys who bounced all over the lineup for the last couple years and couldn't find consistency. Both RFA's at the end of the year. One is grittier while the other is more skilled.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Let's ignore Miller and Namestnikov.

Are folks happy with the return of Howden, Hajek, a 1, and potentially another 1 for McD (let's pretend that Miller for Namestnikov was straight up in a vacuum)?

The overall deal is just a touch light to me, but I think that's only due to Miller. When I look at the deal without him, I'm perfectly content with it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why did we get another C prospect in Howden?? We alreayd have Lias and Filip...

And we're only going to target LHD I guess?

Jesus, should have just waited until the draft; we got absolutely ****** on this deal.

You can't have too many centers. Anyone who can play center can be slid over to the wing. Maybe they project Howden or Chytil to be a wing in the NHL.

Regarding the LHD, I would rather have had a RHD like Foote, but having a lot of good LHD isn't a bad thing. Maybe we end up with a logjam on the left side and trade one of them for a righty. Or maybe we just play guys on their off side. I'm not that worried about it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I like this trade quite a bit.

Miller for Namestnikov is a win my book. I've soured tremendously on Miller over the past season, and I've always been fond of Namestnikov. I like him more than Miller.

Howden and Hajek are top 50 prospects. Howden in particular looks like a beast. The 1st gives us even more ammo in a stacked class.

Gorton is trying to build a feeder system. Look at teams like Boston and Winnipeg; they draft nearly all of their stud talents, and they draft nearly all of their high end complimentary pieces. Then, they supplement with FAs and trades.

I think the people that are pissed had this perfect idea of a McDonagh deal in their head, and clearly this wasn't their perfect deal. Doesn't mean it's a bad deal. Which it isn't IMO.

This is a step in the right direction. We've added 4 prospects to our top 10 before the draft, where we have 8(!) picks in the first three rounds. People wanted a rebuild, this is what a rebuilding trade looks like.

Pretty much what Hatrick Swayze said above. If this is just McDonagh for Howden + Hajek + 1st + conditional 1st. Fine. I'm actually quite happy with it after thinking about it for a bit.

Miller for Namestnikov? Bad trade IMO. People here hate on Miller a lot. Fair enough. I still liked the kid.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Wow It's actually disappointing how little you guys know what you're talking about.

This is a good deal. Not great, great would've been Serg.

I like what we're building

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Let's ignore Miller and Namestnikov.

Are folks happy with the return of Howden, Hajek, a 1, and potentially another 1 for McD (let's pretend that Miller for Namestnikov was straight up in a vacuum)?

The overall deal is just a touch light to me, but I think that's only due to Miller. When I look at the deal without him, I'm perfectly content with it.
Yeah, I'm okay with that the more I think on it. Miller and Namestnikov part bothers me a lot.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->