McDavid vs. Draisaitl: Who will have a better season next year?

Who will have a better season next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Part 11 of my offseason poll series, and the granddaddy of them all. There will likely still be some more polls ahead, but this is the one you’ve all been waiting for (@Soli - this one’s for you).

Time to cast your votes!

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Some thinking went into this.

Vote goes to Drai if he can play with RNH and Yammer.
Vote goes to McDavid if we get him a quality winger.

Since we don't have that quality winger (yet), vote goes to Drai.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think it will be McDavid.

McDavid wasn't 100% last year. He missed a few games and was still on a 125 point pace ~1.5 points per game.

In a full season I would expect McDavid to score 140 points. His linemates to start the season are up in the air. McDavid and a motivated Kassian will be a solid anchor to the line. I expect Holland will make a move but understand he isn't desperate to do so and would stand pat rather than taking a really bad deal.

If there are no moves I think McDavid plays with Ennis and Kassian. I think Ennis could hit 60 points and Kassian 50 points. Kassian was on a 47 point pace last year but for the bonehead suspension and covid. Ennis had two 40 point campaigns on a Buffalo team that finished last in the league both seasons. Playing with McDavid hopefully helps.

I think Leon will elevate his game and score 130 points. RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto should be stapled together all season.

A ferocious battle for the Art Ross among teammates. The goaltending will be slightly better. Thanks to improved D. I say that thinking Bear, Jones, Nurse and Larsson all answering the call.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McD I think he will have better linemates and will approach the season with a lot of verve, and after a frustrating season in which he was not 100%. I think Drai could even have some fallback as there has been a ton of weight on his shoulders here. I mean a less good season from him is something like 100pts but I think it could be something like that. By no means do I think Drai will hit much more than that pt total THIS season and I think he got keyed on a whole lot last season and that this will continue. Drai eats a ton of punishment in his role, and how he plays the game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Tough one (great work @Cloned :thumbu:). I voted Drai but I have a feeling, like most here that McDavid will find an extra gear this season after being fully recovered. He looked way better by the playoffs already. I think it also really depends on who gets Nuge for most of the year, unless they land a Kahun, Duclair, Granlund for the other winger (not that they’re as good as Nuge, but it will make the lines more balanced).

Reactions: Cloned

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mcdavid playing on one leg had a similar PPG to Draisaitl and in the playoffs he was almost a PPG greater than Draisaitl. Healthy Mcdavid is easily the best player in the league.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Covid is the great equalizer. But Mcdavid still easily.

A short season would be great for these two, up that ice time .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mcdavid playing on one leg had a similar PPG to Draisaitl and in the playoffs he was almost a PPG greater than Draisaitl. Healthy Mcdavid is easily the best player in the league.

meh, this I disagree with. McD had better production because he had better linemates. There was even some posts on other sources that indicated McD had requested that. Not sure if accurate.

So Drai got Yama, who he has never been helpful with Drai w/o Nuge. And McD got Nuge. Thats the big story. Drai got all of Yama, Ennis, and AA rotated in. AA was so disappointing as an addition here he wasn't even reupped. But thats who the team figured Drai could carry around the rink.

The org looks after McD more for obvious reasons, but that could also be a mistake down the road. The trouble is on the basis of being a more complete player the team leans on Drai, more, and expects him to do more with less.

When McD struggles, and it happens, he gets Nuge. When Drai struggles he sometimes gets piled on and doesn't get the same help.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I will say Connor and that if it ends up not being Connor then Connor may start having his generational label questioned. I agree with @Drivesaitl that much of this will depend on linemates and IMO what Connor wants he likely will get. This is why it is critical to add another capable top 6 LW so that both centers can have quality wingers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Post Covid Break McDavid came back on a higher level than I think I’ve ever seen from him. He was just dominant really, if not for how shit the Oilers played as a whole he would have willed us into the playoffs and put up some insane numbers.

I fully expect him to be better than Drai.... better than anyone in the League next year. He’s truly generational.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I fully expect him to be better than Drai.... better than anyone in the League next year. He’s truly generational.

IMO it is time for him to put that question to bed and show everyone that he is most definitely the best player in the league. If he puts in more commitment to defense and leads the league in points it should be a huge season for Connor and the Oilers.

Reactions: shoop

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Draisaitl. He seems easier for other players to adjust to. Others find chemistry quite easy there.

IMO the correct answer should be "whoever gets Nuge to ride shotgun on their wing". Both Connor and Drai are exceptional players but unsurprisingly their quality of linemates make a difference.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Had to go with McDavid even though Drai should have Nuge and Yam’s on his wings...if Tippet is using his brain.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
IMO the correct answer should be "whoever gets Nuge to ride shotgun on their wing". Both Connor and Drai are exceptional players but unsurprisingly their quality of linemates make a difference.

It makes a difference, but a lot of that is the way the players mesh. Nuge is the best option we currently have on the left side for both McDavid and Drai but the chemistry on that RNH Drai Yamamoto line looked like it could be something special.

Other than Kahun really clicking on a PTO, I don't see a reason that RNH and Drai should be split up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It makes a difference, but a lot of that is the way the players mesh. Nuge is the best option we currently have on the left side for both McDavid and Drai but the chemistry on that RNH Drai Yamamoto line looked like it could be something special.

Other than Kahun really clicking on a PTO, I don't see a reason that RNH and Drai should be split up.

The problem is that is we give Connor say Ennis and Kassian as his wingers we are limiting the best offensive weapon in the game.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Is Draisaitl going to spend the year with two studs while McDavid is stuck with two anchors like seemingly the majority of Oilers fans want?

I really don't understand why so many think it's logical to nurf McDavid like that.

Ain't that the truth, the line without Nuge struggled to do much of anything. Hopefully they get him signed ASAP.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
meh, this I disagree with. McD had better production because he had better linemates. There was even some posts on other sources that indicated McD had requested that. Not sure if accurate.

So Drai got Yama, who he has never been helpful with Drai w/o Nuge. And McD got Nuge. Thats the big story. Drai got all of Yama, Ennis, and AA rotated in. AA was so disappointing as an addition here he wasn't even reupped. But thats who the team figured Drai could carry around the rink.

The org looks after McD more for obvious reasons, but that could also be a mistake down the road. The trouble is on the basis of being a more complete player the team leans on Drai, more, and expects him to do more with less.

When McD struggles, and it happens, he gets Nuge. When Drai struggles he sometimes gets piled on and doesn't get the same help.

I agree with Mcdavid having better linemates in the playoffs. After RNH the forward talent drops significantly, which is why Mcdavid and RNH outscored Draisaitl. During the regular season when Draisaitl ran his own line from January on he was out scoring Mcdavid but it was close. You have to remember that Mcdavid was still recovering from an injury while Draisaitl was healthy. I think next season Mcdavid will be scoring at almost a 0.3 PPG more the Draisaitl.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The problem is that is we give Connor say Ennis and Kassian as his wingers we are limiting the best offensive weapon in the game.

Holland will get out of the cap situation he inherited by the start of the 21-22 season. We can use this season to see if McDavid can establish chemistry with in-house options. Ennis/Nygard/Neal should all get looks in training camp on the left side. Not great, but ok until something better gets along. Hopefully Puljujarvi can challenge Kassian at some point during the season for the 1RW role and take it over from him by the end of the season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
A few points...

1. Don't bet against McDavid

2. He's healthy this off-season and likely motivated after his teammate won the Ross, Lindsey and Hart.

3. Draisaitl has a good shot as well with the RNH-DRAIS-YAM line but I wouldn't be surprised to see more attention and a better game plan against them this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad