Player Discussion McDavid Trade Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Mcdavid and Draisaitl were more concerned about winning then padding their bank account then they would have took a little less. Next season at 12.5 million, Mcdavid needs to be the best player in the league. Draisaitl is overpayed.

I think McDavid did take less than he could have held out for, and Drai got a bit more, so to me, it's a wash. I think Drai will need another year or so to grow into that contract, so the first couple years, it won't look great, but after that, I believe it will seem fair. And he likely would have received at least that much or more if he was offer sheeted.

I think McDavid already IS the best player in the league (apologies to Sid the Kid), but his team has really struggled this year, making him force plays and also allowing other teams to attach more attention to him, rather than watch Lucic or others miss yet another gift empty net.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If Mcdavid and Draisaitl were more concerned about winning then padding their bank account then they would have took a little less. Next season at 12.5 million, Mcdavid needs to be the best player in the league. Draisaitl is overpayed.
McDavid has better possession and scoring chance generation numbers than he did last year. The bounces haven't been there and the powerplay is putrid, but he's still very much the best in the world. I'm not worried at all.

Regardless would've been very nice if they took less, but what you're gonna do...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He was naïve. He figured last season was probably going to be the norm going forward and signed the deal. I, on the other hand, saw this coming from Jan/Feb 2017. Sorry to be a pessimist but I could see the team was well overachieving and getting a ton of luck and that this was not going to be sustainable. It's like that player who shoots 18% shooting percentage one year and gets a career high 30 goals but is normally a 15 goal a year guy. Maybe I'm wrong and next year and the following years will be fine, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They can finish off great this year but given what has transpired this year it's not unrealistic that if they get off to a rocky start in 2018-19 that we'll have the same first half of the season as this year and we got that perpetual suck that has been here for the last 10 plus years.
You should be making $12.5 million a year if you know more about hockey than Connor McDavid and his agent.:loony:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hasn’t this become the norm in the NHL since Kane and Toews signed their deals? Nobody leaves money on the table now if they can help it. I’m not a big fan of the new breed of player and agent.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
McDavid has better possession and scoring chance generation numbers than he did last year. The bounces haven't been there and the powerplay is putrid, but he's still very much the best in the world. I'm not worried at all.

Regardless would've been very nice if they took less, but what you're gonna do...

Not to mention he did all this while battling multiple illnesses, if the rest of the team can get their heads out of their asses we'd have
no problems.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He will never be traded because it makes no business sense to start with. As a business asset he earns the Oilers far more than any combination of $12.5 million spread out over 2-3 players that you can come up with.

He's the next great hockey talent and in Edmonton, that means that shiny new arena is not only sold out every night but sold out at sky high ticket prices. It's just too easy to find 19,000 people a night willing to watch one of the best players in the world 40 nights a year.

Not to mention all the merchandise he sells.

So no GM will have authority to do that, Katz would never allow it. The fan base went through enough with the Gretzky trade too, that's not happening again.

Secondly if you don't like McDavid at 12.5, I can find you 30 other NHL GMs that would gladly bend over backwards and kiss their own ass to have him. Auston Matthews is gonna get 11+ per this summer.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You should be making $12.5 million a year if you know more about hockey than Connor McDavid and his agent.:loony:

it can be hard to see when you are on the team. it's easy to get caught up in the success and optimism of what had transpired last year and miss seeing the flaws. someone looking in from the outside, if they don't get caught up in drinking the koolaid, can have a bit more of a critical eye on the situation.
even though basically 100% of media were singing the oilers praises and projecting them to be a cup contender half a year ago, I bet there were other people who thought the same way I did about the team but were too afraid to speak their mind truthfully and critically as they were afraid to be "the odd man out with the whacky opinion".... I mean according to the experts how could the Oilers NOT be a cup contender this year right? Personally, I don't really care and i'll speak my mind about what I think I see. I could be wrong but I'm not going to hold my tongue just because the opinion is unpopular and goes against the grain.
opinions about this team is almost like peer pressure. it's almost like you MUST go with what most people think or you're an idiot. I was not sold and didn't really like Hall on this team for many years and it was a very unpopular opinion because everyone got caught up in his pseudo-greatness. Now that more things have come to light it's not an unpopular opinion and many have switched sides. it's funny how worked up people get over the "unpopular"opinion... which at times turn out to be very true down the road.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
LoL at people complaining about his contract and worth. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But the funny part is I pretty much gaurntee Mcdavids contract wont be the biggest come July 1st.
I hope you’re right. Once McDavid isn’t making $2 million more than the next highest paid player things will start evening out for us pretty quickly.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Before everyone gets up in arms, I am not advocating trading Connor and it would gut me as much as trading Wayne and Smythy did.

There's been more and more unsettling discussion on here, talking to friends and on CHED about the prospect of trading McDavid being our only card to play to actually turn this franchise around without it taking 4 years of slow rebuild. It brings me to think what teams would have to give up to make this happen? It would take a complete gutting of good players, prospects and picks and they'd have to have room for the $12.5 on top of that. I honestly don't think there is a team out there with the depth or cap space to make this happen, which means we are safe from losing him.

Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?

NO. I'm just gonna repost this here:

Edit: oh. Lol it's a necro bump by a troll.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He will never be traded because it makes no business sense to start with. As a business asset he earns the Oilers far more than any combination of $12.5 million spread out over 2-3 players that you can come up with.

He's the next great hockey talent and in Edmonton, that means that shiny new arena is not only sold out every night but sold out at sky high ticket prices. It's just too easy to find 19,000 people a night willing to watch one of the best players in the world 40 nights a year.

Not to mention all the merchandise he sells.

So no GM will have authority to do that, Katz would never allow it. The fan base went through enough with the Gretzky trade too, that's not happening again.

Secondly if you don't like McDavid at 12.5, I can find you 30 other NHL GMs that would gladly bend over backwards and kiss their own ass to have him. Auston Matthews is gonna get 11+ per this summer.
31 clubs,

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
The hell is this. So old. Boston fan trying to stir the pot? McDavid is an Oiler for the next 8 years, he will not request a trade, deal with it

Reactions: Aerrol

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Before everyone gets up in arms, I am not advocating trading Connor and it would gut me as much as trading Wayne and Smythy did.

There's been more and more unsettling discussion on here, talking to friends and on CHED about the prospect of trading McDavid being our only card to play to actually turn this franchise around without it taking 4 years of slow rebuild. It brings me to think what teams would have to give up to make this happen? It would take a complete gutting of good players, prospects and picks and they'd have to have room for the $12.5 on top of that. I honestly don't think there is a team out there with the depth or cap space to make this happen, which means we are safe from losing him.

Is Connor tradeable? If so, for curiosity sake can you list what you think it would take?
You seriously post the worst posts ever...

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
If Bergeron doesn't push Lad into Roloson the Oilers win the Cup and no one burns a Pronger jersey to put a curse on the team. This is why we can't have nice things....

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Wow this is a year old and Chia somehow made us worse and our only prospect is Bouche.

Thank god for league parity as we are only 4 points out of a playoff spot. We are basically looking at this as being year one of another 5 year rebuild while simultaneously having Connor drag us into a wildcard every couple years. It’s a messy way of doing it but let’s hope it works. The focus on drafting is so important going forward, if we don’t bring in some quality prospects Connor will have trouble staying.

With Connor we have a real chance to run the table in the playoffs in a Hail Mary approach. I still believe we will win the Cup this year, Connor is too good and gets too many points not to be a threat.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Wow this is a year old and Chia somehow made us worse and our only prospect is Bouche.

Thank god for league parity as we are only 4 points out of a playoff spot. We are basically looking at this as being year one of another 5 year rebuild while simultaneously having Connor drag us into a wildcard every couple years. It’s a messy way of doing it but let’s hope it works. The focus on drafting is so important going forward, if we don’t bring in some quality prospects Connor will have trouble staying.

With Connor we have a real chance to run the table in the playoffs in a Hail Mary approach. I still believe we will win the Cup this year, Connor is too good and gets too many points not to be a threat.

We will win the cup this year?

....You believe we'll win the cup?

You know what? Fug it, I've got nothing to lose. We're winning this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->