McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This threads need to die.

I'm a Leafs fan and appreciate Matthews, but there's no sense in seriously comparing him to McDavid when Connor outscored him by 31 points last season and won the Art Ross and Hart and Matthews is having an injury-plagued season as a sophomore and won't finish nearly as high in the scoring race as McDavid will this season. And if Matthews is better defensively, there's still no good argument he should be considered the better player at this point.

The team success argument? Seriously? Compare TOR's roster to EDM's. RNH is the Oilers' third leading scorer and he has 36 points. Nine Leafs have more than than 36 points.

Anyway, time to go back to ignoring this thread.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
when Winds of Winter comes out I'm going to boycott it cause it took George so long

Instead I'll be reading this thread from page 1. Should be on par with ASOIAF's dark comedy and intrigue

Reactions: Loosie and Narow

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Matthews pace at 53 games is more important than what Laine did after 53 games, duh!
This isn't a Laine thread but Laine's recent goal scoring streak is a perfect example of unsustainable puck luck. At one point he was shooting 50%. That doesn't come close to happening for any stretches of games like 99.9 percent of a career for any player.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This isn't a Laine thread but Laine's recent goal scoring streak is a perfect example of unsustainable puck luck. At one point he was shooting 50%. That doesn't come close to happening for any stretches of games like 99.9 percent of a career for any player.

And?

Matthews was shooting at something like 30% for a period of time, and there was a long thread about Matthews being the best player in the game.

Let's avoid hypocrisy here.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
And?

Matthews was shooting at something like 30% for a period of time, and there was a long thread about Matthews being the best player in the game.

Let's avoid hypocrisy here.
No there wasn't, with the exception of a few crazy posters. Most of us said he was clearly below McDavid, yet was among the league's elite. Regardless 30% over a span of around 10 games<<<<50%

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No there wasn't, with the exception of a few crazy posters. Most of us said he was clearly below McDavid, yet was among the league's elite. Regardless 30% over a span of around 10 games<<<<50%

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/auston-matthews-scoring-pace.2404875

Sure.

Laine isn't shooting 50% on the season, so you're basically just arguing the "level" of unsustainable shooting percentages. You know, it's worth noting that last season he had 36 goals in 73 games. For as much as certain people like to talk about how Matthews is unique because he was a teenager who scored 40 goals... Laine was on pace for 40 goals, and at an even younger age. Maybe Laine is just a great goal scorer. Food for thought.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/auston-matthews-scoring-pace.2404875

Sure.

Laine isn't shooting 50% on the season, so you're basically just arguing the "level" of unsustainable shooting percentages. You know, it's worth noting that last season he had 36 goals in 73 games. For as much as certain people like to talk about how Matthews is unique because he was a teenager who scored 40 goals... Laine was on pace for 40 goals, and at an even younger age. Maybe Laine is just a great goal scorer. Food for thought.
You've hijacked this thread, Laine isn't mentioned in the title, it's time to start a new thread.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You've hijacked this thread, Laine isn't mentioned in the title, it's time to start a new thread.

28 goals in 53 games pal and all while in my opinion not being full healthy for the majority of the season. Scary what a fully healthy guy could do, he also had more goals than Laine had at game 53 and he's close to 50 so.....

This is what started the conversation that Sojourn is having, on Page 177. FTR Laine has been mentioned on like the last 5 pages, chill.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
McDavid is probably better than Mathews, he has more points while playing on a weaker team.

Also probably worth noting that when you look at xGF at 5v5, it says McDavid has been just a little unlucky while Matthews has been extremely lucky.

McDavid: 64 GF vs. 65 xGF
Matthews: 54 GF vs. 41 xGF

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This threads need to die.

I'm a Leafs fan and appreciate Matthews, but there's no sense in seriously comparing him to McDavid when Connor outscored him by 31 points last season and won the Art Ross and Hart and Matthews is having an injury-plagued season as a sophomore and won't finish nearly as high in the scoring race as McDavid will this season. And if Matthews is better defensively, there's still no good argument he should be considered the better player at this point.

The team success argument? Seriously? Compare TOR's roster to EDM's. RNH is the Oilers' third leading scorer and he has 36 points. Nine Leafs have more than than 36 points.

Anyway, time to go back to ignoring this thread.

A reasonable, rational, and intelligent response. Take notes other Leafs fans, no one on these boards cares for loose puck retreivals and whatever other special stats you need to justify Matthews being on McDavids' level.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
A reasonable, rational, and intelligent response. Take notes other Leafs fans, no one on these boards cares for loose puck retreivals and whatever other special stats you need to justify Matthews being on McDavids' level.
Except few of us think he is. Also as if you're the authoritative figure to judge what posts are intelligent or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad