McDavid or Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
They play in way different systems.

If matthews was under the same coaching system of "Go do whatever the **** you want as long as you put up points" , this would be a very even point total.

Most of the leaf prospects are being taught defence first or get demoted to the 4th line.
Why does McDavid allow less scoring chances against when he's on ice then?

I think Matthews is better without the puck, which creates an illusion that he'd play better defensive hockey, but what goes missing is that the ultimate form of defense is puck possession.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural and Grabner

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'll take the player that's a top 50 scorer in points this year.

Damn.. Just realized Connor is +14 on a team that's -32 too.
The Oilers are trying really hard to counter everything he's doing this year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok wow, I know Leaf fans love Matthews and he is an amazing young player...but no he is not better than McDavid and having him right now over McDavid would not have the Oilers any closer to the playoffs. Now you are overrated Matthews and a fair bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Oh lord, this thread again.

That's like asking if you want a regular steak or if you want a slow cooked sous vide steak.

One is much superior

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I am a big supporter of Matthews despite not being a Leaf Fan in any respect. The kid is an amazing talent. But the difference right now between him and McDavid is not just minutes played. Right now McDavid is simply the better player. Interestingly enough though, both players have extremely low pp points relative to their totals.
Yeah. Guys in the top 20 have as high as 35 plus. Then you have McDavid at 14

Makes it more impressive

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
excuse-our-appearance-notice-sign-s-0833.png

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Okay, we are now re-opened.

Several staff members are watching you. If you can't stay on topic, it's best for you to move on and ignore it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Why is this a discussion? One is over ppg and one is not....
One can grow a beard, the other cant, one can grow a Jagr mullet, one can not. I want the player with most potential, he is ppg, he can grow a beard and a mullet, give me Mcdavid!!!!!

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
Matthews is a very good player but I am surprised by how much he slowed down after that hot start to the season. He's not even a PPG player this season. I know he's been plagued by injuries but still... Looks like, just like Eichel, Matthews won't be a PPG player, at least not consistently. On the other hand, a healthy McDavid will always contend for the Art Ross.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Matthews is a very good player but I am surprised by how much he slowed down after that hot start to the season. He's not even a PPG player this season. I know he's been plagued by injuries but still... Looks like, just like Eichel, Matthews won't be a PPG player, at least not consistently. On the other hand, a healthy McDavid will always contend for the Art Ross.
Him and Laine were even until Matthews went down. The most frustrating part about Laine's hot streak ( From a Leaf fan perspective) is that Matthews has been hurt lol. One of these years we may have a season where both stay healthy lol

Reactions: Plural

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Him and Laine were even until Matthews went down. The most frustrating part about Laine's hot streak ( From a Leaf fan perspective) is that Matthews has been hurt lol. One of these years we may have a season where both stay healthy lol

Yeah. While we can't discredit Laine's amazing play recently, I think it's fair to recognize Matthews has not been able to show his ability in a while.

I still think Matthews is and will remain as the better player. But Laine sure is showing everyone that he also belongs in the elite group of young players

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Yeah. While we can't discredit Laine's amazing play recently, I think it's fair to recognize Matthews has not been able to show his ability in a while.

I still think Matthews is and will remain as the better player. But Laine sure is showing everyone that he also belongs in the elite group of young players
It's interesting because Matthews best play last season was in this last stretch. Laine has been really impressive lately though. Keep expecting him to cool down but he just keeps scoring. Didn't Laine really cool off around this point last season? I guess that shows the difference between being well out of the race last year vs at the top of the pack playing meaningful games at this time of the season.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Do you want an elite winger-esque center that is extremely speedy and puts up points (mainly secondary assists)?

Or do you want the elite Selke calibre big center that dominates both ends of the ice (most of his points are goals) and puts individual achievements secondary to team achievements?

That's how I see it.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Why is this still a thread? McDavid is the best player in the world. Matthews isn't even a top 5 center at this point and has yet to eclipse 70 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad