Would you rather have?

• McDavid

• Matthews/Marner

• McDavid/Top 10 Draft Pick

Results are only viewable after voting.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
This was brought up in a previous post -

One drop of the ball would have led to McDavid but no Marner or Matthews. We would have had McDavid and a good compliment player. I personally, would not trade Matthews and Marner for McDavid. Would you??

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
This was brought up in a previous post -

One drop of the ball would have led to McDavid but no Marner or Matthews. We would have had McDavid and a good compliment player. I personally, would not trade Matthews and Marner for McDavid. Would you??

If the Leafs had drafted McDavid, they would have still likely drafted a high first round pick in 2016. So the 2-for-1 seems a bit inappropriate.

What if it was McDavid/Tkachuck vs Marner/Matthews?

Or Keller? Sergachev? McAvoy? Laine?

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Would McDavid have gotten the Leafs into the playoffs in his rookie season? Let’s say he didn’t and the Leafs were picking in the top 8 in 2016 and picked Matthew Tkachuk?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If the Leafs draft McDavid instead of Marner, I imagine other things potentially change with it. I don't know who we might've been able to acquire from outside of the organization (as done with Andersen and Zaitsev), but I certainly doubt the plan was to bottom out as they did for the Matthews draft. We might still have been in the draft lottery with McDavid, but it would've been a game changer in terms of how that season would've been approached (like drafting Matthews was).

For the poll, I'm good with Marner and Matthews.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
McDavid is on another planet, so I probably go with that option... but even still, it's hard to look back on the acquisitions we've made in the past three years with anything except pure, unbridled joy

Reactions: Garthinater

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd take McDavid and the pick provided everything else stays the same (we get Tavares etc).

I love Matthews and Marner but we would still have McDavid, Nylander, Tavares, Kadri. I don't think McDavid would miss the playoffs with the Leafs so we probably don't get a top 10 pick but even then I'd do that.

In the end, it doesn't matter, our roster is freaking stacked and we'll make the playoffs and the Oilers likely won't for 3/4 years with the best player in the league.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd take McDavid and the pick provided everything else stays the same (we get Tavares etc).

I love Matthews and Marner but we would still have McDavid, Nylander, Tavares, Kadri. I don't think McDavid would miss the playoffs with the Leafs so we probably don't get a top 10 pick but even then I'd do that.

In the end, it doesn't matter, our roster is freaking stacked and we'll make the playoffs and the Oilers likely won't for 3/4 years with the best player in the league.

If McDavid can’t make the playoffs in Edmonton what makes you think he would have done it in his rookie season with the Leafs? They were pretty bad.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If McDavid can’t make the playoffs in Edmonton what makes you think he would have done it in his rookie season with the Leafs? They were pretty bad.

You're right, I forget that we would be talking about the 15-16 Leafs not the 16-17 Leafs.

Yeah that roster is terrible even with McDavid on the team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I sometimes wonder if making the playoffs in 16/17 was the best thing for the franchise?
Would they have a better pick than Lilegren? The D weren’t taken until later in the first round.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would take Matthews over McDavid straight up... I know that most people would disagree, but I think Matthews will ultimately be better. I think that Matthews's size, goal scoring ability, and 2 way play will ultimately make him a better player at some point. I would still give McDavid the edge right now... but I expect Matthews to pass him at some point.

I currently rank the centers as

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Matthews
4. Tavares

But I think Matthews will move to number 1 on that list at some point.

Reactions: Dzonna

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

IIRC, McDavid missed a fair bit of time in his rookie season and the Leafs were clearly tanking. So in the world of "what if" the Leafs would have likely had another top 10 pick

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Maybe we get Mcdavid Mcavoy and Stamkos decides to sign, and no Marleau.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Probably a stretch that he would've helped make the Leafs a playoff team, but remember McDavid missed just under 1/2 that season due to injury. As I previously mentioned, don't know either if we could've landed Andersen and Zaitsev equivalent players, but I'd guess the intention would've been there. I also imagine Nylander and Brown would've made that team from the start.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I take Marner and Matthews. This duo moving into the future is going to be amazing. Marner showed glimpses that he will be a 90 point player and we all know Matthews can score goals.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I sometimes wonder if making the playoffs in 16/17 was the best thing for the franchise?
Would they have a better pick than Lilegren? The D weren’t taken until later in the first round.

Leafs made the playoffs because one of the factors was the emergence of Marner and Nylander (Matthews was a guarantee so excluding him, but I suppose you can add him in as well).

If we don't make the playoffs that implies Nylander and Marner are a tier below what we have today.

So yes, making the playoffs was best thing for the franchise.

Reactions: Garthinater

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs made the playoffs because one of the factors was the emergence of Marner and Nylander (Matthews was a guarantee so excluding him, but I suppose you can add him in as well).

If we don't make the playoffs that implies Nylander and Marner are a tier below what we have today.

So yes, making the playoffs was best thing for the franchise.

You’re probably right but they were just one or two more blown lead from missing. If I recall holding Leafs was on of the biggest accomplishments in the second half of the year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It just comes down to Marner vs McDavid, and you take McDavid.

The 2016 alternate universe could have easily yielded Matthews or Laine anyway.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The overall health of the franchise is more important than a tank to resolve one potential position though.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
When Tavares and Marner are destroying the league you'll be glad you took Matthews and Marner.

2 elite top lines > 1 elite top line.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If the Leafs had been able to draft McD, they certainly would have and they would just have a different looking Shanaplan in place at the moment. Perhaps they still sign JT or maybe SS may have chosen differently, or McD doesn't get injured. One can only speculate now. I am very cool with how things in reality worked out though.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The impact McDavid has on the game is ridiculous, it's on a completely different tier than Matthews.

That being said if it was ONLY McDavid vs Matthews/Marner combo, I would take the Matthews/Marner combo. BUT if we're assuming that we get McDavid over Marner in 2015, we're likely looking at the 8th - 16th pick. That's A.Nylander, Sergachev, McAvoy, Jost, Chychurn, Fabbro, McLeod potentially. I would take McDavid + Sergachev/McAvoy/Jost/Chychurn over Matthews + Marner right now.

Mar 26, 2010
McDavid so overrated. He is not better than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad