McDavid or a Stanley Cup - Pick One

Which do you pick and why? (read OP for full details)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So a genie comes to you and grants you one of two wishes. Which do you pick and why.

Wish #1:

- Oilers do something really stupid/illegal/etc and it ends up nullifying McDavid's contract and he becomes a UFA. Good news - he decides to sign with your favorite team - same contract, 8 years 12.5M$ (if you're at cap, assume you find a way to make cap space).

Wish #2:

- Your favorite team will win 1 Stanley Cup in the next 3 years, guaranteed

Which option do you pick, and why? Obviously with option 1, no guarantee of cup, but McDavid is the best in the game, super young, and adding him to your team may lead them to a cup or multiple cups - flipside is maybe you fall short. At least you get to enjoy the best player in the game though

With option 2 - you get one guaranteed cup - aside from that it's a guessing game. Maybe you win more cups and are a perennial contender, or maybe it was a Cinderella run and you're a bottom feeder every other year, who knows

ps - if you're an Oilers fan - think of it as option 1 simply being "we keep McDavid" vs option 2 being "we lose McDavid, but get 1 cup guaranteed in next 3 years"

Reactions: Rogue Leader

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think many people will take the Cup "AINEC" but it's close I think
I'd still go with the Cup since that's what this is all about, but 8 years of McDavid would be awesome

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
As a Leafs fan who likes to gamble I'm taking McDavid. Plus it would be so cool to brag to everybody on HF Boards that my Leafs has 4 players with double digit cap hits! :)

Being handed a guaranteed cup would feel more like sleeping with your cousin. That's just wrong... :(

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's the cup.
Love McDavid as a player, but the point of having a McDavid is to try and win the cup.
Even though at the same time a big part of the pleasure of winning the cup is the unknown aspect of whether you are going to win the cup before you win it.

Reactions: Dominance

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's the cup.
Love McDavid as a player, but the point of having a McDavid is to try and win the cup.
Even though at the same time a big part of the pleasure of winning the cup is the unknown aspect of whether you are going to win the cup before you win it.

I agree that the point of McDavid is to win the cup - the idea is that with McDavid you might win multiple cups (especially imagine him in Tampa, Tor, Col, Boston or any other of the good teams).

I agree that a big part of the cup is not knowing - i was hoping this would be seen as a negative here, but doesn't seem to be doing its job lol.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't think adding McDavid to the current Wings team makes us likely to win at least 2 cups over the next 8 years. So I'll take the cup. If you're the fan of a good team, you should take McDavid.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid, easy choice.
It's the cup.
No, the point is to have someone you enjoy watching for 8 years of entertainment. And guaranteed cups take away everything good about a cup. What fun is winning if it's guaranteed?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
McDavid, easy choice.
No, the point is to have someone you enjoy watching for 8 years of entertainment. And guaranteed cups take away everything good about a cup. What fun is winning if it's guaranteed?
Yes, I broached that. Yes, the guarantee part is what closes the gap, but I guess it depends on your situation. If you are a Panthers fan, after the entire existence of awful we've had, you get delirious. You just need to win so bad just for the sake of your overall health. If you're somebody like Chicago, you might be more inclined to take McDavid.
Plus, more seriously, our franchise needs to win, for the sake of the future of the franchise.
And we had Bure for a couple of years, and it was great. But like I said, after 25+ years of losing, this franchise needs to win above all else.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah give me a Cup win as a fan. Sure he is exciting to watch and ownership would love the revenue generated by him but the Stanley Cup is the Stanley Cup. Lots of people will go their lifetime and not see a their team hoist the Cup (Id insert Leaf joke here but as a Columbus fan I am no better off)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Easy choice. A good organization should win more than one with McDavid.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’ll take McDavid. I have confidence Yzerman would put good enough players around him. Also, I’m a huge fan of his. I watch most Oilers games just to see him play.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'd take the Cup IF the genie erased my memory of the choice, so I wouldn't know it was coming. Otherwise, probably McD so it wouldn't feel so much like cheating.

Reactions: bobholly39

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The cup 100%. Having the best player doesn't guarantee anything, he can't control his team mates, management, luck, etc. Caps had OV who McDavid will probably end up on the same tier as all time, but only have 1 cup in 14 years to show for it. I've loved watching OV but I'm a fan of the team first, not the player. Take the cup and run.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm taking Connor.
If nothing else to save the team from the Mediocrity of the next 8years they're destined for by being shackled to jamie benn

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The cup 100%. Having the best player doesn't guarantee anything, he can't control his team mates, management, luck, etc. Caps had OV who McDavid will probably end up on the same tier as all time, but only have 1 cup in 14 years to show for it. I've loved watching OV but I'm a fan of the team first, not the player. Take the cup and run.

Ovechking isn't exactly the norm though, more the exception. Usually with a player of his caliber to build around, you'd definitely win at least 1 cup, and often more during their prime.

But no - there are no guarantees, that's the point. It's a gamble, but with decent odds of being able to win at least 1 cup, and good chance of winning even more too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Cup.

And we also drag Iginla kicking and screaming out of retirement to get his name on the trophy.

Reactions: Bounces R Way
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad