• Chia was hated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McLellan was hated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Time for another bogus poll! @I am the Liquor ;)

Refs noticeably called more penalties in favour of the Oilers last night, even against Team Hollywood. I even mentioned it in the GDT. The Oilers NEVER drew that Drai penalty or McDavid penalty late in the game before.

Is it because:

- Refs hated Chia
- Refs hated McLellan
- NHL realized they dodged a major bullet with McDavid’s injury last year and put a stricter mandate on calling fouls on him
- Holland and the refs have a “friendly” relationship

Whatever the reason, I think the tide has turned here.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I have no faith in the refs continuing proper calls. Although they may respect Tippett more and may eventually respect McDavid since he's been in the league long enough. Despite all Crosby's crying, he did get screwed a bunch in the beginning.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
It looks like McDavid is now purposely going closer to opponents and upped his acting game. He's forcing the issue. And I think he definitely should. Whereas once it was more on the grey side, now it's black and white. I'm all for it! This team has been harassed long enough.

Oct 15, 2008
Time for another bogus poll! @I am the Liquor ;)

Refs noticeably called more penalties in favour of the Oilers last night, even against Team Hollywood. I even mentioned it in the GDT. The Oilers NEVER drew that Drai penalty or McDavid penalty late in the game before.

Is it because:

- Refs hated Chia
- Refs hated McLellan
- NHL realized they dodged a major bullet with McDavid’s injury last year and put a stricter mandate on calling fouls on him
- Holland and the refs have a “friendly” relationship

Whatever the reason, I think the tide has turned here.
What’s that smell?

Is it shit?

You better go check your pants!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What’s that smell?

Is it ****?

You better go check your pants!

A lot less of that around the team since Chia left. It’s like a dark cloud has been lifted. We are getting bounces, the refs don’t hate us anymore.

Oct 15, 2008
A lot less of that around the team since Chia left. It’s like a dark cloud has been lifted. We are getting bounces, the refs don’t hate us anymore.
It’s league mandated. Perhaps they see attendance is down? Better lay off Edmonton!

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think it's because McDavid and Drai are playing close to 30 minutes a night, it makes sense from an analyticals perspective because if elite players are out longer you are going to draw more penalty's. It's an excellent strategy, especially if you have the elite horses to run with and an elite PP.

Honestly, the way these modern athletes are trained these days they are built like greyhounds and can easily play 30mins a night. The NHL is finally catching up to basketball and realizing you only need 5 or so elite players to ride off and you can fill in the rest of the roster with interchangeable parts. Of course the one big difference being that hockey has a goaltender, if we get even average goaltending this year we are going to win a lot of hockey games.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
A little of C and D imo if this is actually the new norm.

We’ve got one of the most respected GMs in the history of the league, and I’m sure he wouldn’t hesitate to voice his opinion.

The league ignoring penalties against McDavid just about cost them the best player drafted in the last 35 years. When you watch him go down like that, how can you not sit there and think to yourself “maybe we should actually penalize the opposition for their penalties”. As we’ve said all along, it’s not our problem teams can’t defend McDavid. If you can’t defend him without committing a penalty, that’s your problem.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
I'm going to assume we keep racking up the PP's. Our team is playing a lot faster this year and McDavid is putting on some veteran moves to draw calls.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wouldn't get used to it.

While I agree so far it's been nice I fully expect Edmonton to be getting the shaft as the season goes on.

Things that will help draw penalties more than previous years...

The Oilers have a significantly faster team.

If I remember correctly Tippett does endorses diving/embellishment. Much more than Mclellan anyways. After years of non calls I think McDavid and company are going to do more to get calls.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers basically lost the playoff series to the Ducks by being "nice guys" and not embellishing on calls. Talbot was one of the worst in terms of being a "good guy".

Hopefully Tippett says to the team... fall if you are hacked/slashed/pushed/tripped... good guys finish last in the eyes of the refs and I'm pretty sure Smith in net will play his role well in the flop-Olympics also.

Teams who play on the edge and take advantage of the opposition by being sneaky/dirty will have the advantage which we've seen in the past. Refs favour the team that "looks" like they are being infracted against... you aren't going to get penalty calls by not acting up somewhat and trying to be the "better team" in terms of ethics and morality. That might work in some aspects of life... but not in the world of the NHL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Well it was 2 home games to start the season. The real test will be on this 4 game road trip. I hope that's the new norm

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It looks like McDavid is now purposely going closer to opponents and upped his acting game. He's forcing the issue. And I think he definitely should. Whereas once it was more on the grey side, now it's black and white. I'm all for it! This team has been harassed long enough.
Yes. He did this yesterday. Like Steph Curry always jumping into guys on purpose and drawing a foul.

I hope to hell McDavid starts embellishing a tad. Not diving, but making sure the refs see the holds and hooks.

Jhonny midget gets calls left and right in CGY. Boggles my mind that it is so hard for McDaddy to get calls.

Reactions: dssource

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers will also draw more if they stay in the opposition zone more and move their legs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Woah woah woah slow down there we're only 2 games into the season.
To assume that we're going to get 3/5 quality officiating this season is not something I'm willing to believe.

Reactions: o98

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Holland quietly but sternly went to the league and said “McDavids injury is what happens when you don’t call actual obvious penalties on McDavid”.

Enuf said.

Also - speed creates penalties. Oilers are a much faster team.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
If this is even a thing and not just coincidental based on two games, I foresee it sticking around briefly until some media personalities start talking about how the league is just handing everything to McDavid for free by "protecting" him with all these calls and then the refs ignore everything done to him after to make sure everyone knows they're impartial enough to only call penalties committed against non-elite players.

Maybe I'm just cynical about NHL officiating though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Going with dodger a bullet combined with all the McDavid non call highlight reels that make this league, it’s rulebook, and it’s officiating look more bush league than it already does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad