Speculation: McDavid inquiry

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
So my friends are Oilers diehards. (Poor bastards) They’re convinced McDavid will ask for a trade. They’ve been salivating over our house of prospects and wonder what we’d be willing to part with. I couldn’t honestly formulate a trade as this would be a cataclysmic event rivaled by the Gretzky trade. But... Are we in a position to make a trade like this right now? Would now be the time? Do we have the depth to trade and still be a cup contender with a healthy future? All I could imagine That we could offer still didn’t feel like enough to get McDavid but felt like would give the Oilers a truly healthy future to build around Leon Draisaitl. And that it could hurt our future Long term health. But the Cups in the now!! Oh my!!
This is all I could think of to start. Maybe it’s enough but I’ve grown attached to the idea of these kids being our future so here it goes:

Villardi
2020 #1
2021 #1
JAD, Turcotte or Thomas
Kaliyev or Fagemo
Roy or Bjornfoot

I feel it’s too much for us but maybe not enough for them?
Ideas? Options? Variations of picks and prospects. Maybe a roster player instead?
They’re a speed team so a Kempe or ?

inquiring minds....

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So my friends are Oilers diehards. (Poor bastards) They’re convinced McDavid will ask for a trade. They’ve been salivating over our house of prospects and wonder what we’d be willing to part with. I couldn’t honestly formulate a trade as this would be a cataclysmic event Rivaled by the Gretzky trade. Are we in a position to make a trade like this? Would it be the time. Do we have the depth to trade and still be a cup contender with a healthy future? All I could imagine still didn’t feel like enough To get McDavid but felt like would give the Oilers a truly healthy future to build around Leon Draisaitl.
This is all I could think of.
Villardi
2020 #1
2021 #1
JAD, Turcotte or Thomas
Kaliyev or Fagemo
Roy or Bjornfoot

I feel it’s too much for us but maybe not enough for them?
Ideas? Options? Variations of picks and prospects. Maybe a roster player instead?
They’re a speed team so a Kempe or ?

inquiring minds....

McJesus is going nowhere, but for the fun of it whatever we give will be a massive haul for the Oilers and it might not be enough. McDavid is that good. No doubt all the assets and prospects you mentioned will be in the discussion. For sure it would be Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev and Bjornfot plus 2#1's maybe 3, etc. just to start the conversation.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Lets assume that was the trade. Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, and next year’s first.

Do we have a team to surround McDavid with that?

Our prospects then become Kupari, Fagemo, Madden, Thomas, Grundstrom, Clague, JAD, Spence, Dudas, Durzi, and Hults.

Our lineup next year would look something like this:

Kempe - McDavid - Kupari?
Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Frk - JAD - Carter
Wagner - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Clague? - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
McDermid - Walker

Petersen
Quick

Obviously McDavid is the best player in the world, but does that team win the cup? I’m not sure that Kings team is any better than the Oilers’ current roster.

I don’t know. I don’t think I’d trade that much. That’s an insane amount of value.

Reactions: jfont and Schmooley

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
No, this isn't even a fun thought exercise. One man shows will never win a Cup and Edmonton can't even come close with Draisaitl and a slew of other high draft choices.

Reactions: Schmooley

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure any player is worth that much.

McDavid strikes me as a player who will be nagged by injury problems throughout his career.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not sure we have enough to give, yet what we have to give would just put McDavid in a worse situation, making it a worthless move anyway imo. Like putting Gretzky on the pre-Crosby pens or something.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
That's too much to give.

Oilers would want a center prospect back. So that would be Byfield. 2021 1st for certain. Clague and Grundstrom. I would be willing to add 2 2nds since the kings have 5 over the next 2 drafts. I'd be open to switching in turcotte but that means piece(s) get taken out.

If turcotte is added in, that would be a #2OA, a guy taken #5OA in 2019, a 1st, and one or two decent 2nd equivalents. I don't think the oilers would like that package.

No on Bjornfot. We've seen what no defense does to teams like the leafs. We will need ELC guys since McDavid, Kopitar, and Doughty would cost $33.5 million AAV. Also no on Vilardi. We would would be selling him when his value is low since he had all those injuries.

Note that we would not be sending a cap dump back.

Token

May 15, 2019
McDavid is a freakish talent at scoring goals.

McDavid is freakish fast with the puck on his stick.

McDavid’s freakish stats last two seasons;
GP - G - A - P - “+-“
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
64346397-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For all that scoring and highlight-reel craziness, he at best breaks even, but usually gets scored on more than he contributes.

This is a Center that raises the Stanley cup in 2014:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Another Center that won it all in 2015:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If you spend over $10M on a player, make sure it’s a complete player that can carry the team forward and win.

History may write McDavid in the freakish talent bucket and not the generational player many already anoint him.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Crownroyal21

Mar 19, 2019
Great player. Don’t give first round picks. Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it. FDR. We have done this before it doesn’t work.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Those friends are idiots.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize this was on the Kings forum, wouldn't have replied with my snide remark lol.

No worries friend. I don’t think they want to trade him. I think they fear he’s gonna ask for a trade and want Talented kids for Now and the immediate future. We’ve got talent to spare right now. I’m just not sure of how much or if that would even be enough..

Last edited:

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
So from our camp, it sounds like either a turn down would be acceptable?

One of Villardi -or- Byfield.. Not both

In addition, I’d still be willing to offer this as I think we’d have the talent remaining. But doubt the Oilers blink and maybe even bite Rob Blake very hard for this offer.

Villardi or Byfield
2022 1st rounder
Thomas or JAD
Two 2020 2nd rounders
Kempe or Iafallo

I’m thinking Meh on their part. But can negotiations Really even start there?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
This is a flat cap world with uncertain revenue streams. No cap dumps are going to the oilers. The cap space generated would let them be in on Pietrangelo.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
If McDavid ever asks for a trade, then the other team will have leverage. So, I don't think it will be close to the Gretzky exchange.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
McDavid is a freakish talent at scoring goals.

McDavid is freakish fast with the puck on his stick.

McDavid’s freakish stats last two seasons;
GP - G - A - P - “+-“
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
64346397-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
For all that scoring and highlight-reel craziness, he at best breaks even, but usually gets scored on more than he contributes.

This is a Center that raises the Stanley cup in 2014:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Another Center that won it all in 2015:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If you spend over $10M on a player, make sure it’s a complete player that can carry the team forward and win.

History may write McDavid in the freakish talent bucket and not the generational player many already anoint him.

It's funny that you mention that. In the case of McDavid it may be that their defensemen and their system just suck, making his presence on the ice prone to great scoring chances against the Oilers. I remember all of the members of the Church of Erik Karlsson (remember those days?) always claiming it was just bad luck that EK always seemed to be on the ice for more goals against than any other "elite defender" despite having great possession numbers. Oh it's his partner's fault or forwards don't back-check or goaltending is terrible. No, turns out he just has never been an actual good defenseman. You know, defending, save for 1 season I believe and I seem to remember Anderson had a ridiculous save percentage that year. Anyway, McDavid is a forward with otherworldly offensive skill, so it's not on him. The Oilers should surround him with two-way wingers and good defensemen but easier said than done.

Reactions: Token

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Edmonton needs to do something with the defense, Russell out at a minimum 4M for 9 assists, and get some real veteran leadership on the back line first and foremost.
Vastly too many turnovers in their own zone in the games I watched. Salary recoup would also need to come from the 3rd and 4th lines.

I would move Nugent-Hopkins and Neal out this summer and work on a much cheaper replacements and shore up the D. Clearly McDavid and Dri are proven scorers and they could be real contenders if they fond something on the back end.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Pfft, like we would ever see Edmonton send the best player in the world packing... Especially, to some no-hockey town like Los Angeles... Never gonna happen.

:sarcasm:

But seriously, that was about money, this isn't 1988, there is no reason Edmonton would ever part with McDavid, even for overpayment, and let's say he does find the backbone to demand it and they actually foolishly oblige his request, it would be ridiculously stupid for us to trade them our entire prospect farm for McDavid and virtually just become the new Edmonton Oilers of the league. The Kings have all the pieces they need to be competitive for a decade. There is no sense in blowing it to see if we can do something with an identically challenged roster and throwing a hail mary for McDavid.

Reactions: cyclones22

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wandering Oilers fan here.

Trading McDavid in division for a random handful of unproven prospects and lesser parts where the best current piece coming back is a guy like Kempe would about shut the door for me as a hockey fan.

Owners can't line their own pockets in trade deals anymore so we won't be seeing a Gretzky 2.0 deal in this league.

Honestly - Edmonton trades McDavid, pack it up as a sport, I'm done here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->