McDavid in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Modern equipment my ass.

Gretzky could be naked, overweight, and possibly dead and he would still outscore McDavid.

The gap between Gretzky and the 2nd highest scorer in the NHL would lead several teams in scoring.
Yep just delusional move on folks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That's the main point though Gretzky is only adding to the point that fans don't get. The people that work in the industry think these kids are way better, the only people that disagree watch highlights or old game film and see the great play. They don't see the bad defense and goaltending.

I have yet to see someone that works in the industry say that they are better than Gretzky. Better than the average player? Okay. Better than the average star? Maybe. Better than the best player of all-time? No.

That’s where the logic falls apart. The only way you can say McDavid would be better than Gretzky is if you’re also willing to say that the top 5 point producers in the NHL would, at least, be as good. The argument doesn’t really work otherwise, because McDavid’s edge over the current best talent in the league is too slim. It’s a clear edge, but it’s a small one.

So, are you really going to say that the top 5 point producers in the NHL are as good as the best player to ever play the game? That’s insane.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I have yet to see someone that works in the industry say that they are better than Gretzky. Better than the average player? Okay. Better than the average star? Maybe. Better than the best player of all-time? No.

That’s where the logic falls apart. The only way you can say McDavid would be better than Gretzky is if you’re also willing to say that the top 5 point producers in the NHL world, at least, be as good. The argument doesn’t really work otherwise, because McDavid’s edge over the current best talent in the league is too slim. It’s a clear edge, but it’s a small one.

So, are you really going to say that the top 5 point producers in the NHL are as good as the best player to ever play the game? That’s insane.

If they went back in time they would be a lot better. Not even remotely debatable.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014

That’s where the logic falls apart. The only way you can say McDavid would be better than Gretzky is if you’re also willing to say that the top 5 point producers in the NHL world, at least, be as good. The argument doesn’t really work otherwise, because McDavid’s edge over the current best talent in the league is too slim. It’s a clear edge, but it’s a small one.

I'd say that the top 5 point getters are some of the best to ever play the game. Just like Lebron and Kevin Durant are top 10, just like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron rodgers are top 15 all time and just like Messi is the greatest soccer player.

It's not insane it's modern training and equipment. The league is better I don't get how you miss this.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You think the current worst team in the league would be the dynasty Edmonton team?

The hole just gets deeper.

TIL the Rangers would win the Cup in 1985.

The gap between Gretzky and #2 in scoring that year was 73 points. Nobody on the Rangers will score 73 points this year lmao.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
The hole just gets deeper.

TIL the Rangers would win the Cup in 1985.

The gap between Gretzky and #2 in scoring that year was 73 points. Nobody on the Rangers will score 73 points this year lmao.
Just shows how good defense and goaltending has gotten. Thanks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'd say that the top 5 point getters are some of the best to ever play the game. Just like Lebron and Kevin Durant are top 10, just like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron rodgers are top 15 all time and just like Messi is the greatest soccer player.

It's not insane it's modern training and equipment. The league is better I don't get how you miss this.

I can acknowledge the league is better, and still point out that we’re talking about Wayne f***ing Gretzky.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Just shows how good defense and goaltending has gotten. Thanks.

It really shows that you’re massively underrating the talent level back then. You probably think some beer league teams could hold their own.

Do people not realize that he played against guys like Bourque, who played against guys like Lidström? And we know how good Lidstrom is. There is a straight line between the players he competed against, and being able to compare them to current talent.

Reactions: tomi2 and Ippenator

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
I can acknowledge the league is better, and still point out that we’re talking about Wayne ****ing Gretzky.
Yes and Wayne was the best in a time where the game was rudimentary. PLAYERS WOULDN'T READ WHERE THE PUCK WAS GOING ON DUMP INS FFS, He was the first to go to the opposite corner instead of chasing the puck. You all are taking way too much of his great hockey Iq and not adjusting it vs modern players.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
It really shows that you’re massively underrating the talent level back then. You probably think some beer league teams could hold their own.

Do people not realize that he played against guys like Bourque, who played against guys like Lidström? And we know how good Lidstrom is.
Goaltending then? Defenses are better now as well. Lidstrom being great doesn't remove modern strategy and techniques people just caught up to them.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Close

Man...do you realize how the game has changed? How the players are faster and stronger.

Do you realize how easy it would be for current players to score on these 80's goalies?

Are you aware? Did you actually watch Gretzky?

Reactions: Ippenator

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean look at these crappy defensemen Gretzky was scoring on.

Ray Bourque - bum, Chris Chelios - 50 years old even back then, Larry Robinson - funny looking, Rod Langway - never heard of him, Denis Potvin - sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->