McDavid in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Modern equipment and training would make it unfair. But I think he'd also get checked much harder than anyone today. How durable is he? He might not survive playing like he does now. Skating up the ice with that kind of speed can get you killed if someone really wants to take you out. He'd need to adjust his game.

Rules were different, too.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Hockey is a team game, so he’d still be playing with guys who have 80’s equipment and training. That said, depending upon his supporting cast, he’d probably rack up 300+ points.

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Putting a modern player in an earlier era but still giving them modern training/equipment/nutrition/ etc via time machine is pointless. It's like saying how would the Civil War ended if the Confederacy had tanks, planes and M16's.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
The only guy between 1982 and 1989 to hit 145 was Wayne Gretzky.

People talk about the 80's like Gretzky had 215 and everyone else had 190. That's not how it went.
Yes and with 30+ years of improvement in styles dominating the fastest the league has ever been. Those players would need massive adjustment in the modern era.

I'm not insulting you, but it's delusional to put those players on the exact same tier as modern players that are built for explosiveness and not sustained long shifts. Modern training and equipment means shorter shifts but he'd outrace everyone on the ice, just like Lemieux would skate right through people.

You just need to realize Gretzky was out of his era, you can't change when you are born. However he played the game like no one else had before. Now everyone tries to imitate him.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
How about if the best player from 2058, with his future equipment, came to play in today's league?

Would he make McDavid look like a fool?

Reactions: Tremor

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
See OP, I told you this is how it was gonna go.

Yeah looks like you hit the nail on the head with that one.... what do you think next weeks lottery numbers will be?

It is pretty interesting to see the wide variance in point predictions.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes and with 30+ years of improvement in styles dominating the fastest the league has ever been. Those players would need massive adjustment in the modern era.

I'm not insulting you, but it's delusional to put those players on the exact same tier as modern players that are built for explosiveness and not sustained long shifts. Modern training and equipment means shorter shifts but he'd outrace everyone on the ice, just like Lemieux would skate right through people.

You just need to realize Gretzky was out of his era, you can't change when you are born. However he played the game like no one else had before. Now everyone tries to imitate him.
I'm really not putting those players on the same tier as modern players.

I said McDavid would be very clearly #2 with a massive gap between him and 3rd.

But he still couldn't spit in Gretzky's direction.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014

Yes and you would be wrong. You aren't taking into account improvements in the game. Gretz and Mcdavid wouod be near the same level of production. I promise you.

You can think otherwise but there is nothing to suggest that he would not dominate the league like he is now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes and you would be wrong. You aren't taking into account improvements in the game. Gretz and Mcdavid wouod be near the same level of production. I promise you.

You can think otherwise but there is nothing to suggest that he would not dominate the league like he is now.

Like he is now? He just won the points race by what, 5?

Gretzky was routinely leading the league in points by 70.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Putting players in different era to compare isnt really fair. Hed probaly put up 250 points plus but would also be playing in an era where its more open season and his knees and brains might not last that long.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Like he is now? He just won the points race by what, 5?

Gretzky was routinely leading the league in points by 70.

And most of the players in the league now would dominate if you put them there. I'm not discounting the past players but you sure are discounting the ones now. The talent level is higher across the board.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The only guy between 1982 and 1989 to hit 145 was Wayne Gretzky.

People talk about the 80's like Gretzky had 215 and everyone else had 190. That's not how it went.

Mike Bossy had 147 in 1982. Lemieux had 199 in 1989, 31 more points than Gretzky in 2 less games.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
How about if the best player from 2058, with his future equipment, came to play in today's league?

Would he make McDavid look like a fool?

Well by that point Jaromir Jagr would be 86 and in his first season back from his 8th retirement..... so he would probably be content with just a respectful dominance of McD.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Wait, you actually don't think McDavid would lead in points if he went back in time? That's honestly delusional.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And most of the players in the league now would dominate if you put them there. I'm not discounting the past players but you sure are discounting the ones now. The talent level is higher across the board.

Compared to elite players in the 80's, yes. Maybe even compared to generational players in the 80's.

Generational doesn't even describe Gretzky. He was a living video game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think McDavid would be behind Gretzky.

Maybe the gap between Gretzky and everyone else is smaller, but that gap was massive. He was so far beyond everyone else.

McDavid, as good as he is, just isn’t far enough ahead of everyone else to say he would top Gretzky. If you try to make that argument, you might as well say the entire top 5 producers now would be better. Is that really what we’re going to try to say? McDavid has an edge on the current talent. Gretzky had a gap the size of the Moon.

Either the top 5 producers now would be better, or McDavid would be behind the greatest player of all time. Still. I know which way I’d lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad