Post-Game Talk: McDavid Giveth and Taketh

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Yeh, it's not like we beat team that first in West... Oh wait... That's us!

Keep the great goaltending, great PK, great PP, great top line scoring running.

What? They lost 5-2 to the Blues. They did beat the fist OA team though, Caps :P

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think Connor has the IQ to be great everywhere on the ice... it's the willingness to that's the issue now. And the willingness to improve in that area. He's too heavily focused on offence and cheating for offence... thinking about ways to get a jump on the defenders on potential turnovers.... not stopping on pucks so he can maintain his momentum and get that extra jump and acceleration should a puck be turned over.

Sometimes you can see that in our d zone, Connor is actually the man closest to battle for the puck or gather a loose puck but he'll skate away from it hoping a teammate will do it instead and spring him for a pass. sometimes it works out, sometimes the opposition easily maintains control and keeps it in our zone. It's cheating. Some games he does it a lot. People can say he's tired and he's one of the only one who can produce (and so it somehow makes it "ok") but you just cannot do those things on a consistent basis. There is a time and place to do those things in rare desperate situations.

I think it boils down to them just valuing defence more. Putting in that extra effort to generate offence from strong defending. It's harder and a lot more of a grind but your team will be better for it overall. It sets a great example too. Points might suffer but your team will be better and it will translate more if you reach the playoffs.

But that is also what you have to hate with todays hockey. Points suffering every time for everyone becoming just the same sorts of player. You dont win anymore with starplayers making a lot of amazing assists and goals. I think Lemeiux was the last player to get the pass in this area, thats also why Lemeiux, Gretzky and early Yzerman could build their legends, reaching 150 pt a season - but not even a sniff on the cup. Its just all teamsport now - everybody Defensive good, offensive good. The best player may be reaching 100 points. Not Offensive super excellent, just Ok defensivly. Its not Ok anymore in sports. I dont like that.. I like when McDavid and Draisaitl just hoarding in points, and we also get wins. Take away the points for maybe 10 extra point under a season, maybe most want it from in here. But i sont want it.

I want to watch the birth of legend stories of McDavid and Draisaitl up to the 150 pt echolon + playoff runs. Not neccerscerly 10 pts more, 110 points season and a playoff. Edmonton will make a playoff anyway. Why not just let them totally flourish their offensive talents?

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'm actually stunned that people are actually calling out McDavids weak defence. It wasn't that long ago that this board (and every other board for that matter) would have crucified somebody for suggesting McDavid, or Hall, or Yakupov, or any of our other core players needed to give more effort without the puck. I don't know how many times I heard people say, "offensive players all cheat for offence" and "his job is to score, not play defence".

It's nice we can finally look at these players with objectivity. It's possible to appreciate a player, and also recognize they're not perfect.

Reactions: Oilers 322

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Im not saying "giving a total **** about defence": I mean scoring a bit more goals forward, to win games.

I'm happy with the number of goals scored in today's NHL. The skill, the speed of the game, it's never been better.

Really, I don't have a lot to complain about with Drai and McDavid this year, they've been fairly good defensively, and they're both on pace for 140+ point seasons. I'd posit that being more competitive defensively actually helps them generate more offence.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'm happy with the number of goals scored in today's NHL. The skill, the speed of the game, it's never been better.

Really, I don't have a lot to complain about with Drai and McDavid this year, they've been fairly good defensively, and they're both on pace for 140+ point seasons. I'd posit that being more competitive defensively actually helps them generate more offence.

Tighter defence, less rushes. Less goals. Less goalscoring chances.
Yes, they payers are better nowadays. With tempo, clearing the zone, on and on.
But.. yeah. THere isnot a proof that McDavsaitl scores more if they have to work harder in the defence.

And I can guarantee almost everyone in here following hockey, has been inspired a lot by Lemeiux, Gretzky ad a young Yzerman, as a lot of players. They all probably cheated a more lot than todays stars.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Tighter defence, less rushes. Less goals. Less goalscoring chances.
Yes, they payers are better nowadays. With tempo, clearing the zone, on and on.
But.. yeah. THere isnot a proof that McDavsaitl scores more if they have to work harder in the defence.

And I can guarantee almost everyone in here following hockey, has been inspired a lot by Lemeiux, Gretzky ad a young Yzerman, as a lot of players. They all probably cheated a more lot than todays stars.

I think most people are inspired by older Yzerman who realized winning cups takes sacrifice. He devoted himself to the team concept.

Nobody will be inspired if the Oilers win nothing.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
While McDavid and Draisaitl's defensive play was poor at times in this game, and the occasional game, they are pretty good at it in general. Definitely at least on par with most "star" players with an offensive flair. With Tippett's structure and the forwards for sure coming back to help a lot more than they used to, the defense needs to get better at actual defense. Still waaaaay too easy to play in our zone.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Heres the issue, you guys calling out McDavid... if he doesn't play the way he does and concentrates on D as hard as he does Offence then this team wont score at all. Think about it for a second, if you know that if you're not scoring then the there isn't anyone else on a different line that can step up and have alleviate that burden then ofc you have to concentrate on getting that puck to the back of the net, plain and simple.

Not excusing the defensive effort but it does explain it

Reactions: SwedishFire

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
His first NHL goal was pretty much the exact same play. Bear is the righty 97/Drai have been missing on the PP.

While I get that a right handed player is needed on the PP, people underestimate the amount of times Klef just keeps the puck in , hes also on pace for 56 points .

Nothing wrong with running McDrai the entire 2 mins and rotating out the other players

Klef for Bear
Nuge for Chia
Neal for Nurse

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
While I get that a right handed player is needed on the PP, people underestimate the amount of times Klef just keeps the puck in , hes also on pace for 56 points .

Nothing wrong with running McDrai the entire 2 mins and rotating out the other players

Klef for Bear
Nuge for Chia
Neal for Nurse

That's why I think Bear should be taking RNH's spot.

Bear was playing the half-wall with Nurse in Klefbom's spot on the goal last night.

He's the best right-handed shooter on the team. They've needed a righty there since forever.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

Bear was playing the half-wall with Nurse in Klefbom's spot on the goal last night.

He's the best right-handed shooter on the team. They've needed a righty there since forever.

hmm interesting, maybe something like this

____Net____
___Neal____

McD________Drai

Bear_________
_____Klef____

this allows McDavid to move about and Bear to go up the left side , Drai on the one time side on the Right and Bear on the one time from the left , Neal to screen and get grease goals

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015

Exactly. Klef can be in his usual spot and teams can take him more seriously instead of expecting his signature fake shot pass.

Reactions: McDaddy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think most people are inspired by older Yzerman who realized winning cups takes sacrifice. He devoted himself to the team concept.

Nobody will be inspired if the Oilers win nothing.

A lot of people were also i nspired of Yzermans inspering offense in 80s early 90s. Its a lie to say otherwise
And you can win some cups with good defence, but you can win cups with good offense also.

I dont want to give a pass to McDavid, but I dont think he is capable in the same dimension as Draisaitl to be two way and putting up points or goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad