Post-Game Talk: McDavid eats hot dogs, Drai and ........? get a point.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Referencing Lucic was only to point out that he wasnt a lot older when he hit the wall.

I don't hate Toby Reider. I despise his play this year. There is no board work, no grit, no creativity (save from one pass), and no interior work at all. He is a dump in, perimeter player whose tenacity is abondoned way too early as he just doesn't engage.

Why I feel this way is the same reason in pissed about the Strome trade. Ok, the guy wasnt scoring, but to me he looked like he'd mold into the quintessential 3rd line shutdown centre with some offence. And master the PK.
I had that same thought with Toby. But what the hell has he done on the PK? He has STUNK this year. Period.

I cannot understand the logic behind even contemplating resigning him. Unless I'm so far off base and his injury is ongoing and derrimental. But IMO I doubt it.

I'm curious though, what attributes do you and others see other than thinking he'll bounce back, to warrant another contract here?

I think you are vastly overstating Rieder and his deficiencies. I am not defending his play this season (he has been disconnected far too often) but he looks very much like a player that has lost his confidence.
He looks nothing like the player I have seen in recent years.

So with that I look at an opportunity for him to bounce back and be better next season. His history suggests thats a more likely reality. I put more value on 4 years of history with other teams than I do with one bad season on this team.
I think thats a much more balanced way of looking at this player.

if the team can sign him for under $1M for a 2 year term then they should do it.
I think its a smart move. Alternatively they can heavily weight this season and decide that its more representative of the player. It wouldnt surprise me if the team did that because thats the kind of thing bad teams do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ok but those characteristics apply to every player. Deployment, TOI, etc may be a factor to some extent, but you certainly cannot say that this year. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. He has let the team down.

Of course it applies to every player....that goes without saying.

In a nutshell I put much more importance and emphasis on Rieders history than I do with 1 bad season on a team that is rife with players that have underachieved this year.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
tbh these things can go different ways. I think to some degree it played with Rieders head a bit that the German legend was on this team. its one thing to play for Germany together but I think at the highest level Rieder felt even more pressure to try to play differently, or better, and he can't hack it. Its a bit odd. I think he's in awe of Draisaitl, and I can understand it, I first though they could be good together, now I don't feel that. I think that Draisaitl has gotten so much better in the past years means they really can't play together. Its like how so many players have trouble playing alongside McD. Even somebody of Eberle's skillset struggled.

Drai is on such a different page than when Rieder and he first started playing together for Germany. Rieder has been left in the dust.

Perhaps. But perhaps its lack of proper deployment, the injury, or that he farts way too loud.
Dosent matter to me.

I just cant fathom offering a contract to him after the performance this year.

And I feel the same - but for some different reasons - about Rattie and Brodzniak. Goodbye. Chiasson only at $1m, and if I had my say, Pulji is gone. Yams get one more shot at some point but needs to show or go.

Reactions: Messrules11

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think you are vastly overstating Rieder and his deficiencies. I am not defending his play this season (he has been disconnected far too often) but he looks very much like a player that has lost his confidence.
He looks nothing like the player I have seen in recent years.

So with that I look at an opportunity for him to bounce back and be better next season. His history suggests thats a more likely reality. I put more value on 4 years of history with other teams than I do with one bad season on this team.
I think thats a much more balanced way of looking at this player.

if the team can sign him for under $1M for a 2 year term then they should do it.
I think its a smart move. Alternatively they can heavily weight this season and decide that its more representative of the player. It wouldnt surprise me if the team did that because thats the kind of thing bad teams do.

In this case - why is it bad?
We see his previous years differently. I loved his game in the desert. LA no. Here no. I don't think he is willing to give what we need.
I would move on.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Some of the narratives that are spun here to either defend a player or crap on another are just too much :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Wretched Oil

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Of course it applies to every player....that goes without saying.

In a nutshell I put much more importance and emphasis on Rieders history than I do with 1 bad season on a team that is rife with players that have underachieved this year.

Sorry just responded to same kind of post!
Our difference therefore seems to be how we evaluate hos last ~2 years.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Some of the narratives that are spun here to either defend a player or crap on another are just too much :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Never ceases to amaze me the varying opinions of people. Or the fact that if you say something positive about a player - you're defending them at all cost. Alternatively if you say something negative - you're crapping on them. (?)

Why can't people be allowed to be objective here?

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We see his previous years differently. I loved his game in the desert. LA no. Here no. I don't think he is willing to give what we need.
I would move on.

Well...I think more information is better than less information. You are basing an opinion of this player (who is 26 years old) on 68 games and disregarding 292 games.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sorry just responded to same kind of post!
Our difference therefore seems to be how we evaluate hos last ~2 years.

Not really...I am using 292 games to evaluate the player. You and others are using 68 games.
And 48 of those games were with this team....a team that has multiple players struggling and a team that has been in disarray for much of the season.

Its fine that you dont like the player...nothing personal, I just think your reasoning is lacking.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I would move on.

What was wrong with Rieders game in LA? 4 goals in 20GP for a bit player and giving the Kings a bit of speed improved their slow, plodding tired team. Rieder injected some energy there. It wasn't like the Kings were expecting him to be a big TDL addition.

Rieders goal scoring pace in LA matched the highest, ever, in his career.

Rieder has had one season that hasn't remotely resembled the others, and that's right here, with the org that tends to create deficiencies in almost any recruited player.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What was wrong with Rieders game in LA? 4 goals in 20GP for a bit player and giving the Kings a bit of speed improved their slow, plodding tired team. Rieder injected some energy there. It wasn't like the Kings were expecting him to be a big TDL addition.

Rieders goal scoring pace in LA matched the highest, ever, in his career.

Rieder has had one season that hasn't remotely resembled the others, and that's right here, with the org that tends to create deficiencies in almost any recruited player.

I actually agree with this. I would resign him, but not qualify him. Over 2 million is too much for him. I would let him hit UFA, and then offer him a 1, max 1.5 million deal. He is on pace for 20 assists, that's better than most of the players right now.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
They havent decided what specific area yet. I suspect it will be in a rural community close to Halifax. Yes...getting away from the rat race was a large part of things...also the low cost of living was part of the attraction.

Our conversation primarily revolved around the weather and they were thinking that it wouldnt be much different than Southern Ontario where it is quite humid as well. I have another cousin in New Brunswick and I hear reports all the time about how extreme the weather can be in the winter. Of course NS is not NB but maritime weather is like nothing else based on what I have heard. Its unique.
The temps can be deceiving and your post spoke to that.
They are gardeners so the length of the growing season would be a consideration as well.

Southern BC is another possibility. An area that couldnt have more different weather than the maritimes. I am not at all familiar with the maritimes (no personal experience) but I am familiar with Southern BC and the weather there is quite mild. Golfing in November is a common occurrence every year. Spring usually starts in late Feb/early March. This year is an exception so far.
Southern BC is where I am hoping they decide to move.

In any event I probably should have sent you a PM instead of taking this thread off course.

If I could afford, Southern BC would be for me. I have been to a ball tourney in Pentiction back in 92. I loved it there. I dare say it would be expensive now. So cold here today in NS my battery died. North wind is howling

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I actually agree with this. I would resign him, but not qualify him. Over 2 million is too much for him. I would let him hit UFA, and then offer him a 1, max 1.5 million deal. He is on pace for 20 assists, that's better than most of the players right now.
$1.5M is what I pegged him in for. Sounds about right for a couple of years.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Haters gonna hate after this game. I thought the team played really well and obv Dr Drai and Kosk were exceptional. Chaisson's smart play to hold the puck and then shoot when Drai was in front was great and then Drai threading that needle on the backhand...my goodness. Posts are a goalie's best freind and I believe that if the player hit the post, the goalie has done his job. Hell, that's not even counted as a shot.

Shame the team didn't pull out the W, but they went in with the W in mind and did what they could against a far superior team.

When I saw Tobi out there to start the OT, I thought it was a great idea. He has really good speed and with Drai's excellent passing ability and defensive acumen, that *could* have been really dangerous. I wanted them to load up Drai/Nuge against the yotes and Hitch did. That didn't work. Nuge didn't have a very good game against the preds, so this was a good choice for me (Reider with Drai).

Always hated arvivdson, still do. refs should have called both on that play, dive included. Drai gets a penlaty on a 2 on 1 for diving which is stupid but pure acrobatics by preds 33 on a 1 on 2 and nothing. Actually thought the reffing was decent in that game as opposed to how lopsided they usually are when we play the preds. But then that missed call, and the almost cutting off of Kelfbom's hand...like c'mon.

Thought Kosk made a smart play at the end of regulation. Unfortunately he held the puck too long and got called. Not sure where the line is that a golaie can freeze the puck. He probably doesn't know either since this league is so all over the place with their so called "rules".

6 of 8 pts in games with the captain. Not bad at all. Now let's go destroy the leafs.

Reactions: KahunWOW

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
They havent decided what specific area yet. I suspect it will be in a rural community close to Halifax. Yes...getting away from the rat race was a large part of things...also the low cost of living was part of the attraction.

Our conversation primarily revolved around the weather and they were thinking that it wouldnt be much different than Southern Ontario where it is quite humid as well. I have another cousin in New Brunswick and I hear reports all the time about how extreme the weather can be in the winter. Of course NS is not NB but maritime weather is like nothing else based on what I have heard. Its unique.
The temps can be deceiving and your post spoke to that.
They are gardeners so the length of the growing season would be a consideration as well.

Southern BC is another possibility. An area that couldnt have more different weather than the maritimes. I am not at all familiar with the maritimes (no personal experience) but I am familiar with Southern BC and the weather there is quite mild. Golfing in November is a common occurrence every year. Spring usually starts in late Feb/early March. This year is an exception so far.
Southern BC is where I am hoping they decide to move.

In any event I probably should have sent you a PM instead of taking this thread off course.

Show them these pictures. These are recently taken from Bras D'or Lake in Cape Breton
52911332_2529296697142806_1945181402639106048_n.jpg
53063627_2529296683809474_2033168523571757056_n.jpg

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Haters gonna hate after this game. I thought the team played really well and obv Dr Drai and Kosk were exceptional. Chaisson's smart play to hold the puck and then shoot when Drai was in front was great and then Drai threading that needle on the backhand...my goodness. Posts are a goalie's best freind and I believe that if the player hit the post, the goalie has done his job. Hell, that's not even counted as a shot.

Shame the team didn't pull out the W, but they went in with the W in mind and did what they could against a far superior team.

When I saw Tobi out there to start the OT, I thought it was a great idea. He has really good speed and with Drai's excellent passing ability and defensive acumen, that *could* have been really dangerous. I wanted them to load up Drai/Nuge against the yotes and Hitch did. That didn't work. Nuge didn't have a very good game against the preds, so this was a good choice for me (Reider with Drai).

Always hated arvivdson, still do. refs should have called both on that play, dive included. Drai gets a penlaty on a 2 on 1 for diving which is stupid but pure acrobatics by preds 33 on a 1 on 2 and nothing. Actually thought the reffing was decent in that game as opposed to how lopsided they usually are when we play the preds. But then that missed call, and the almost cutting off of Kelfbom's hand...like c'mon.

Thought Kosk made a smart play at the end of regulation. Unfortunately he held the puck too long and got called. Not sure where the line is that a golaie can freeze the puck. He probably doesn't know either since this league is so all over the place with their so called "rules".

6 of 8 pts in games with the captain. Not bad at all. Now let's go destroy the leafs.

Actually I wasnt sure about that rule either but it turns out it is quite clear......

“A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a stoppage of play. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area.
If a goalkeeper comes out of his crease to “cut down the angle” on a shot and after making the save covers the puck, this shall be legal. If the goalkeeper races out of his crease in an attempt to beat the attacking player to the puck and instead of playing the puck jumps on the puck causing a stoppage of play, this shall be a minor penalty for delay of game.”​

https://oilersnation.com/2019/02/26/koskinens-delay-of-game-penalty-explained/

Reactions: dssource

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If I could afford, Southern BC would be for me. I have been to a ball tourney in Pentiction back in 92. I loved it there. I dare say it would be expensive now. So cold here today in NS my battery died. North wind is howling

Its not a cheap part of the country for sure. Beautiful though and the weather is very livable. Spent a winter there a couple of years ago. Not much snow and the temp rarely got below -5.
Spring came in late Feb/early March.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
@Oilers in NS Amazing pics!
So is that accumulated ice (from high winds) along the shore of the lake?

Its a salt water/fresh water mix actually. Its a beautiful area and a stunning drive. You can go all around the island and thru the Cabot Trail. If you know where to fish, you will get monsters here. Lots of nice golf courses. Very deep water
capebreton.gif

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Its not a cheap part of the country for sure. Beautiful though and the weather is very livable. Spent a winter there a couple of years ago. Not much snow and the temp rarely got below -5.
Spring came in late Feb/early March.

I moved to Vancouver in 91 and stayed till late 97. I was in my early 20's so I was broke and life was fun. It's funny, I'm still broke 30 years later

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Its a salt water/fresh water mix actually. Its a beautiful area and a stunning drive. You can go all around the island and thru the Cabot Trail. If you know where to fish, you will get monsters here. Lots of nice golf courses. Very deep waterView attachment 192951

I have done every golf course here. Beautiful scenery. Seen a moose (very common on Cabot Trail) on HIGHLAND lINKS.

Highly recommend Lakes GC. Cabot Courses are number 1 now. Lots of high profile people going

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its a salt water/fresh water mix actually. Its a beautiful area and a stunning drive. You can go all around the island and thru the Cabot Trail. If you know where to fish, you will get monsters here. Lots of nice golf courses. Very deep waterView attachment 192951

I have done every golf course here. Beautiful scenery. Seen a moose (very common on Cabot Trail) on HIGHLAND lINKS.

Highly recommend Lakes GC. Cabot Courses are number 1 now. Lots of high profile people going

Sounds idyllic...between April and Sept. :D

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sounds idyllic...between April and Sept. :D

I tell everyone that is planning Atlantic Canada, July and August is your time. The fall is beautiful because of the color change. I flew outta Halifax in the Fall before when the leafs were still on trees. it was just like a rainbow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->