Post-Game Talk: McDavid eats hot dogs, Drai and ........? get a point.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Too much diving.

BVxi1lW.gif

I still can't believe this didn't get a fine

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You so know that Rinne and Varlamov, two very good goalies are awful in the shootout?

Pucks hit the post a lot when he is in net, either he is incredibly lucky or it was a shot that wasn't going in. Just cause you hit the post doesn't mean that puck could of gone in

Normally I agree with most of the things you say but let's not ever compare Rinne or Varlamov to Koskinen. That game doesn't even get to a shootout if that was the case. People are starting to give this guy a little too much credit. Expect the best from your goalie at all times. Nothing less should suffice. If a goalie has a bad period after a good period, theres no need to toot his horns.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Normally I agree with most of the things you say but let's not ever compare Rinne or Varlamov to Koskinen. That game doesn't even get to a shootout if that was the case. People are starting to give this guy a little too much credit. Expect the best from your goalie at all times. Nothing less should suffice. If a goalie has a bad period after a good period, theres no need to toot his horns.
Lots of people don’t give him any credit either.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Unless Reider has a crazy finish to the year I seriously don't see the Oilers even throwing a offer his way. I think they just release him.

Looking at the success the guys down in Bakersfield are having I can see a couple of them being moved up. This is one of the reasons losing Caggulia was so bad. Possibly he could have taken Reider's spot. They'll be looking for a cheap FA to replace him for PK duties.

Thought it was a good move, and looked good in preseason, but his lack of goals is mind boggling. Who knows, maybe management thinks his assists production is good enough, but not at 2mil that's for sure. Wish it had worked out better for him this year.

He'll have to finish the season strong to get another look.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Rieder getting all kinds of shade thrown on him here. From people not too familiar with the player or what he brings.

Rieder in a typical year pots on average 14G and 30pts. Those are his average numbers. Which would be about 5-6 place in production on this roster.

Rieder as well had 7pts in his first 16GP this season (all assists but some good plays in the bunch) and was at the time 5th in Oiler pts.

Then Rieder was injured with an "upper body injury" which has been undisclosed, I'm suspecting something shoulder.

Rieder imo returned too quickly from the injury but because the team needed him. He is one of the clubs best pk players and has been his whole career. He is also very stingy in EV play and gives up only 1.7GA/60mins. Very respectable numbers.

He's here on a one year contract and has struggled, but I think primarily due to injury. His production before the injury, and recently, while lacking in goals has been a 30pt pace. There was around 20games where he just couldn't play the way he normally would and struggled. Remove one month from his stats and he's an even play playing on a bad bottomsix.

You give this player a contract because he's bound to rebound. Some team will benefit from that. He has speed, plays the game the right way, and can support some offense.

This Toby Reider is an absolute sham. He is an imposter and should be investigated.
Where the hell is the player that was there previously? It ain't this guy.

Don't think he recovers from this kind of decline. Unfortunately ala #27.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This Toby Reider is an absolute sham. He is an imposter and should be investigated.

Unlike Lucic....Rieder is 26 years old and had a bad season. He is not the only player on this team to have that happen either. More than one player on this team has struggled with confidence issues...thats what happens on a team like this.
Its not a new phenomena.
So with that in mind is it wise to suggest that this season define him as a player moving forward for the next 5-10 years of his career?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

I think the injury was more serious than let on. Like I said earlier I think its a shoulder injury which for most players can really impact everything from speed to willingness to absorb punishment. Rieder usually goes to the net a lot more than this version. Its one of the reasons I believe he will be better if he gets some time to heal or repair whatever it is that hampered him. He does seem back to his game the past couple weeks, and he started the season reasonably well.

As far as the Big M. Yep, the big strong players can just seem slow and lazy but they burn a lot more energy out there. Really its amazing what kind of jump and acceleration Drai has for his size, but that doesn't come easy. He's rounding into Lindros form. just a wrecker.

if we ever got Leon the Professional back in the playoffs again he would do some killing. it just strikes me that the bigger the moment, the bigger he is. I love players like that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
No it isnt....not from a goal scoring perspective. This is the one and only season where his goal production changed.
Up until this season he has been a consistent 12 to 16 goal scorer.

I say again...how can you or anybody else rationalize 1 outlier season as defining a player? Especially a 26 year old player.

So...

One guy quotes he's not that bad because he was 7 assists or something in the first 16 games. No goals but 7 assists.

Now you are talking about his goal production average. What, assists don't count?

Stats can say anything you want. We all no this. I was a very big fan of Reider and felt he would in fact hit for 25 no prob on second line wing. Not to mention our PK problems were over I thought. He was that good in my book.

Injury or not (and how can a poster say a 'significant undisclosed injury'? If it's undisclosed - how would anyone know if its significant?!), Reider has completely flat out stunk.

Not understanding the excuses here.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Unlike Lucic....Rieder is 26 years old and had a bad season. He is not the only player on this team to have that happen either. More than one player on this team has struggled with confidence issues...thats what happens on a team like this.
Its not a new phenomena.
So with that in mind is it wise to suggest that this season define him as a player moving forward for the next 5-10 years of his career?

First - I never wanted Lucic here period. At all. But how old was he last year when he had a 'bad year' as well that continues into this monstrosity today. Hes done. Don't think anyone would debate that.

Second, this isnt Reiders first 'bad year' either. He was trending this last year.

And both these guys aren't having bad years. There are absolutely abysmal.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think the injury was more serious than let on. Like I said earlier I think its a shoulder injury which for most players can really impact everything from speed to willingness to absorb punishment. Rieder usually goes to the net a lot more than this version. Its one of the reasons I believe he will be better if he gets some time to heal or repair whatever it is that hampered him. He does seem back to his game the past couple weeks, and he started the season reasonably well.

As far as the Big M. Yep, the big strong players can just seem slow and lazy but they burn a lot more energy out there. Really its amazing what kind of jump and acceleration Drai has for his size, but that doesn't come easy. He's rounding into Lindros form. just a wrecker.

if we ever got Leon the Professional back in the playoffs again he would do some killing. it just strikes me that the bigger the moment, the bigger he is. I love players like that.

I just dont see Reider the same as I did prior to wearing Orange. Before the injury even. I've been waiting and waiting and defending him but he is so off.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
First - I never wanted Lucic here period. At all. But how old was he last year when he had a 'bad year' as well that continues into this monstrosity today. Hes done. Don't think anyone would debate that.

Second, this isnt Reiders first 'bad year' either. He was trending this last year.

And both these guys aren't having bad years. There are absolutely abysmal.

Nonsense.
First this has nothing to do with Lucic...Lucic and Rieder arent even remotely comparable.
Second....last season he gets traded to LA and gets 2:27 seconds less ice time. Little wonder his production decreased. That doesnt even take into account his deployment.

So to suggest that he was 'already trending down' is an oversimplification unsupported by the reality of the situation.

I mean hate on the player all you want. This isnt about being a fan of the player for me. Its about recognizing the situation and not letting emotion make the decisions on his value as a player moving forward.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So...

One guy quotes he's not that bad because he was 7 assists or something in the first 16 games. No goals but 7 assists.

Now you are talking about his goal production average. What, assists don't count?

Stats can say anything you want. We all no this. I was a very big fan of Reider and felt he would in fact hit for 25 no prob on second line wing. Not to mention our PK problems were over I thought. He was that good in my book.

Injury or not (and how can a poster say a 'significant undisclosed injury'? If it's undisclosed - how would anyone know if its significant?!), Reider has completely flat out stunk.

Not understanding the excuses here.

I have been speaking to his goal production average all along. Its meaningful despite the desire to blow it off by some posters.
As for points....I addressed that too.
I talked about TOI and deployment and how that absolutely affects production.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I just dont see Reider the same as I did prior to wearing Orange. Before the injury even. I've been waiting and waiting and defending him but he is so off.

tbh these things can go different ways. I think to some degree it played with Rieders head a bit that the German legend was on this team. its one thing to play for Germany together but I think at the highest level Rieder felt even more pressure to try to play differently, or better, and he can't hack it. Its a bit odd. I think he's in awe of Draisaitl, and I can understand it, I first though they could be good together, now I don't feel that. I think that Draisaitl has gotten so much better in the past years means they really can't play together. Its like how so many players have trouble playing alongside McD. Even somebody of Eberle's skillset struggled.

Drai is on such a different page than when Rieder and he first started playing together for Germany. Rieder has been left in the dust.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Nonsense.
First this has nothing to do with Lucic...Lucic and Rieder arent even remotely comparable.
Second....last season he gets traded to LA and gets 2:30 seconds less ice time. Little wonder his production decreased. That doesnt even take into account his deployment.

So to suggest that he was 'already trending down' is an oversimplification unsupported by the reality of the situation.

I mean hate on the player all you want. This isnt about being a fan of the player for me. Its about recognizing the situation and not letting emotion make the decisions on his value as a player moving forward.

Referencing Lucic was only to point out that he wasnt a lot older when he hit the wall.

I don't hate Toby Reider. I despise his play this year. There is no board work, no grit, no creativity (save from one pass), and no interior work at all. He is a dump in, perimeter player whose tenacity is abondoned way too early as he just doesn't engage.

Why I feel this way is the same reason in pissed about the Strome trade. Ok, the guy wasnt scoring, but to me he looked like he'd mold into the quintessential 3rd line shutdown centre with some offence. And master the PK.
I had that same thought with Toby. But what the hell has he done on the PK? He has STUNK this year. Period.

I cannot understand the logic behind even contemplating resigning him. Unless I'm so far off base and his injury is ongoing and derrimental. But IMO I doubt it.

I'm curious though, what attributes do you and others see other than thinking he'll bounce back, to warrant another contract here?

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I have been speaking to his goal production average all along. Its meaningful despite the desire to blow it off by some posters.
As for points....I addressed that too.
I talked about TOI and deployment and how that absolutely affects production.

Ok but those characteristics apply to every player. Deployment, TOI, etc may be a factor to some extent, but you certainly cannot say that this year. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. He has let the team down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->