McDavid & Draisaitl vs Matthews & W. Nylander

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Why not just trade Matthews and add two 50 point players? Seems like a great strategy.

Also you don't just get 60 point players from the free market like that. Oilers currently have 8 million free space in their cap. They still aren't in a position to add a 70 point player in their lineup, lol. From the free market you get a Patrick Marleau with 6.25 million.

McDavid makes a Patrick Maroon produce Marleau like points with 2 millions, along with outproducing a Matthews by 25 points.

I like this argument, haven't heard the trade Matthews for 2 fifty-point players before.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Just stop it with this "person who hasn't seen them play so your opinion is invalid" ********.

There's literally a 47 point gap between Draisaitl McDavid and Matthews and Marner.

In what universe is 47 points close?

Drai and Mcdavid shared points in the same goals which inflates the total. I don't believe Matthews and Marner shared points on any. Spreading the points across the team Lower the combined total.

Oh and they were both rookies, they shouldn't be overlooked.

I maintain this is VERY close. Closer than Oilers fans are willing to admit.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Drai and Mcdavid shared points in the same goals which inflates the total. I don't believe Matthews and Marner shared points on any. Spreading the points across the team Lower the combined total.

Matthews and Marner also "shared" points with their teammates just like everyone else in the league.

The fact that they share points on the same goal takes nothing away from those points. Example: McDavid assists a Draisaitl goal. Both get a point. The goal is 100% them.

Marner assists a Bozak goal and Matthews scores a Hyman assisted goal. They both have individually contributed as much as Leon and McDavid, but for two separate goals. Why? Because their linemates have contributed as well. It would be really weird if they didn't contribute on a larger sum of individual goals being on ice twice as much as McDavid and Leon.

Although you can make the argument that McDavid is the one driving the offense in that line and Draisaitl's points were more complementary than if he played on his own line.

Last edited:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
If Matthews and Nylander are almost as good as McDavid and Draisaitl, why are they making less?

The money suggests that the Oilers pair are the first and third best players in this discussion.

As for the "extra player"...the cap is at 75M. So if we're taking cap space into consideration, it's McDavid, Draisaitl and 54 million vs Matthews, Nylander and 57.5 million.

Last edited:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid points without Draisaitl: 63
Draisaitl points without McDavid: 40
Points on the same goal: 37
Total goals: 140

Matthews points without Nylander: 31
Nylander points without Matthews: 28
Points on the same goal: 38
Total goals: 97

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid >> Matthews
Drai > Nylander

Last edited by a moderator:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If Matthews and Nylander are almost as good as McDavid and Draisaitl, why are they making less?

The money suggests that the Oilers pair are the first and third best players in this discussion.

As for the "extra player"...the cap is at 75M. So if we're taking cap space into consideration, it's McDavid, Draisaitl and 54 million vs Matthews, Nylander and 57.5 million.

What? Your first point makes literally zero sense

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Mcdavid and Draisaitl are most definitely the better pair but your argument doesn't make much sense

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The main advantage for Toronto is the fact that we can't even decide if the main dup is Matthews/Marner or Matthews/Nylander. To have 3 guys that good at that age is terrific.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Give me the Oilers duo. Mcdavid is Mcdavid and Drai's better than Matthews if you ask me.

and you arent in the least bit biased being a sens fan?

Matthews scored 4 and set an NHL record in his 1st game against your team. finished with 40g. Drai hasnt even hit 30 after 3 years

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

How can something be very close when Draisaitl is better than Nylander and McDavid is much better than Matthews? It literally makes no sense.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Matthews scored 4 and set an NHL record in his 1st game against your team. finished with 40g. Drai hasnt even hit 30 after 3 years

Ignoring he has a higher point total than Matthews though? I'm not agreeing with him, but don't omit facts to make your argument look better.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Are we really going to pretend his rookie season where he played 37 games and was only in the NHL because Dallas Eakins is terrible is at all relevant to the player he is today?

I think Matthews is better than Draisaitl but there are many other things you could have said.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ignoring he has a higher point total than Matthews though? I'm not agreeing with him, but don't omit facts to make your argument look better.

Lol just like saying Matthews is better than McDavid because he scored in one season as many as McDavid has scored in his career.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
How can something be very close when Draisaitl is better than Nylander and McDavid is much better than Matthews? It literally makes no sense.

It depends. Nylander's bottom-10 unlucky oish% ruined his point totals. With a regular oish% at 5v5 in the 2nd half, he led the team in points ahead of Matthews/Marner/Kadri.

I might be alone in this statement but while I have it as Matthews>Marner>Nylander, I do think Nylander will consistently be battling Matthews for the points lead on the team. I predict next season Nylander will lead the team in points, and it's reasonable given that his overall oish% will go up along with his point totals naturally, and that's without counting for development.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
McDavid and Draisaitl very easily. The fact that these guys have extremely good chemistry as C/RW as well as being able to split to create a deadly 1-2 C combo is too good to pass up. Add in the fact that McDavid and Draisaitl are better than both Matthews and Nylander right now makes it such an easy choice. I would take Connor/Leon even if Marner was added in.

The Oilers were very fortunate to get the best players from the 14 & 15 drafts back-to-back to replace the other failed rebuild (Hall/Nuge/Yak).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
To make this more fair it should be Mcdavid/Draisaitl or Matthews/Nylander/Marner.

I'd assume that the 3 Leafs players will be making just over 21 million combined on their next contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad