McDavid + Draisaitl vs Crosby + Malkin for the next three seasons

Which duo?

• Total voters

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Draisatl needs to carry his own line rather than flank Mcdavid for me to even consider the Edmonton duo.

Crosby + Malkin without hesitation.

Reactions: StreakingRed

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Only way I take McJesus and Drai is if Malkin gets injured and has a severely shortened season. If Malkin is healthy it is the Pens duo easily for me.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Malkin and Crosby will be 31-34 during this stretch.

McDavid will likely be the best player in the world as a whole during this stretch and Draisaitl is looking to shape up as a solid superstar of his own.

Just something to think about.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Draisaitl is a great player but the obvious odd man out. Mcdavid should be the best of the 4 over the next three years, but Crosby/Malkin have such high hockey iq i dont see them dropping off much in their early 30s. Malkin for example is performing at a higher level than Mcdavid this year.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013

McDavid will likely be the best player in the world as a whole during this stretch and Draisaitl is looking to shape up as a solid superstar of his own.

Let's hold on with McDavid being the best player for sure. Kucherov is close to him in age. He's 24. McDavid is 21. Mackinnon is also 22 etc. looks like McDavid actually will have competion during his prime.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Crosby
Malkin/ McDavid

Draisaitl

One of these guys doesn't belong in the conversation. Riding McDavid's coattails to 77 points is not an accomplishment. Both Geno and Sid can put up 40G and 100P if they stayed healthy and wanted to push it. McDavid is a stretch for 40G but can put up 100P. Drai can't even hit 30G and might be lucky to put up 85-90 points in a career year.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, this age argument was one I believe you used to argue why McDavid/Matthews/Laine would easily outscore Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin this year. Meanwhile, other than McDavid, the older trio is outproducing the young trio (Ovie leading in goals again, despite his "age" supposedly causing him to not rebound from last year).

Maybe you shouldn't put so much emphasis on how much players over the age of 30 decline at some point?

Reactions: I am not exposed

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Crosby
Malkin/ McDavid

Draisaitl

Matthews

One of these guys doesn't belong in the conversation. Riding McDavid's coattails to 77 points is not an accomplishment. Both Geno and Sid can put up 40G and 100P if they stayed healthy and wanted to push it. McDavid is a stretch for 40G but can put up 100P. Drai can't even hit 30G and might be lucky to put up 85-90 points in a career year.

Fixed that for you.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, this age argument was one I believe you used to argue why McDavid/Matthews/Laine would easily outscore Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin this year. Meanwhile, other than McDavid, the older trio is outproducing the young trio (Ovie leading in goals again, despite his "age" supposedly causing him to not rebound from last year).

Maybe you shouldn't put so much emphasis on how much players over the age of 30 decline at some point?

It's still going to happen at some point though. People put too much stock in turning 30, but you start getting into 33, 34 and it becomes a lot more likely. This only being 3 years though I feel pretty confident in players as good as Crosby and Malkin, especially when they're still near the top of the league, and Draisaitl isn't. I think this would have to be more 5-6 years to start moving the other way

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Oilers fan saying Crosby and Malkin.

Mcdavid>Crosby but Malkin is in a different tier (if not 2) than Drai and I say this as a huge Drai fan.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

This isn't "something to think about." This is you, the poll creator, trying to push people towards one of the options.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Crosby and Malkin without a doubt. I expect McDavid to be the best over this time but Draisaitl is just a passenger.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

McDavid will be on about the same level as an aging Crosby and Malkin but Draisaitl won't be even remotely close.

What is there to think about?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's still going to happen at some point though. People put too much stock in turning 30, but you start getting into 33, 34 and it becomes a lot more likely. This only being 3 years though I feel pretty confident in players as good as Crosby and Malkin, especially when they're still near the top of the league, and Draisaitl isn't. I think this would have to be more 5-6 years to start moving the other way

At some point, sure. But my point is the OP is notorious for his belief that it's pretty much an automatic that players won't be as productive as soon as they hit age 30.

That's simply not true, especially with elite level guys. Joe Sakic still scored 100 points at like age 36 or 37, Brent Burns won his first Norris at age 32, Ovechkin's on pace to win yet another Rocket at age 32, etc.

The time frame is the next 3 seasons. This belief that Crosby and Malkin won't be producing similar to what they are right now 3 years from now seems to be based on nothing but adolescent views that people over 30 are declining rapidly. NHL history suggests otherwise when it comes to elite players.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think anyone should be voting for McDavid and Draisaitl. Draisaitl is great, but not on Malkin's level. Even if you think McDavid and Crosby are close one way or the other, I don't see how you can argue for Draisaitl over Malkin at all. And its only for the next three years we're talking so it isn't like we're talking about comparing 40 year olds to guys in their prime here, Malkin and Sid might slow down a bit, but they are still elite players for at least 2 of those 3 years - probably all three.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->