News Article: McDavid at risk of becoming another NHL Picasso who paints houses

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see nothing wrong with either article. As of now McDavid is wasting his time here, and management is developing JP as poorly as you could. Honestly sounded like JP would welcome a trade, and I wouldn't blame anyone on this team for having that mindset.

The people in here trashing the leafs for not having a cup in the last half century are pretty transparent, and frankly part of the problem here. As of now the leafs are 10x the organization we are. Just because we won a cup more recently (still near 30 years ago) doesn't make us a better organization, and thinking so is the same mindset that has burned our management and team to the ground. And there was very little mention of the leafs in that article, just goes to show they have a spot in your head rent free. Don't be so insecure because our management is ****, having national media members calling this garbage out is a good thing. More pressure and people calling us out will hopefully push Katz hand sooner than later.

We don't want to be poked and prodded through the media, teased about how McD should leave? Then maybe we shouldn't live by the glory days, and stop putting money into the hands of the idiots that caused this mess.

EDIT- and I do want McD to throw on the TC jersey lining up beside Sid. I understand the league's reasoning behind not wanting it though. Hopefully in the next CBA negotiations the players push for Olympics again.

The NHL needs to be reminded, once again, that the Stanley Cup is a Canadian gift and that the NHL is also largely a Canadian gift offering up most of its stars and talent for 100yrs. I say this because international competition is less important in hockey for US, than it is for Canada due to our Halcyon position (still) in hockey. The NHL Is not only denying players of international first rank world tournaments, they are denying Canada our continued hockey heritage. This is tantamount to denying Canada Cups. A whole new generation of fans has had very little experience with Canada having major participation in hockey in the biggest stages. As a result we had the relative disgrace of the Un named Russia team winning the Gold and Germany winning the Silver, and Canada being represented by NHL failures and in what was the most pathetic Olympic hockey tournament in memory. Canada. and the world was denied a better competition in the showcase sport of the winter Olympics.

Imagine if Brazil was told they couldn't go to World Cups and bring their best. How would that nation respond to that. Why does Canada tolerate the NHL making these decisions (bad) on behalf of Canada? The NHL only does this because Bettman, and most owners and league managers don't see international hockey as a big deal. A terrible view, but Canada's interests are not enough represented. Canada, on behalf of Canadian players should step in politically and represent the Canadian players rights to play for their National side on a world stage.
This is an easy political football but any Federal Govt should want to support. Why don't they? Start making a lot more noise about Canada being shut out of its glory.

Reactions: Jaska

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For the record ... Dionne did not “win scoring races by habit.” He won one ... 1979/80 ... and he was in fact tied with Gretzky for points that year but won the Art Ross because he scored more goals than Gretzky.

I stand corrected. I thought Dionne had won the Art Ross a couple times in the 70's as well, before Gretz entered but he was being edged out by Lafleur, Trottier etc in respective years. Still, one of the most prolific players in NHL history and all the more impressive because he wasn't playing 82 game seasons and he wasn't playing on stacked lineups. He was one of the best players in the league almost any year he played.

6th in alltime points. Its really astounding he got only the one Art Ross.

Reactions: Rinkrat

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
The NHL needs to be reminded, once again, that the Stanley Cup is a Canadian gift and that the NHL is also largely a Canadian gift offering up most of its stars and talent for 100yrs. I say this because international competition is less important in hockey for US, than it is for Canada due to our Halcyon position (still) in hockey. The NHL Is not only denying players of international first rank world tournaments, they are denying Canada our continued hockey heritage. This is tantamount to denying Canada Cups. A whole new generation of fans has had very little experience with Canada having major participation in hockey in the biggest stages. As a result we had the relative disgrace of the Un named Russia team winning the Gold and Germany winning the Silver, and Canada being represented by NHL failures and in what was the most pathetic Olympic hockey tournament in memory. Canada. and the world was denied a better competition in the showcase sport of the winter Olympics.

Imagine if Brazil was told they couldn't go to World Cups and bring their best. How would that nation respond to that. Why does Canada tolerate the NHL making these decisions (bad) on behalf of Canada? The NHL only does this because Bettman, and most owners and league managers don't see international hockey as a big deal. A terrible view, but Canada's interests are not enough represented. Canada, on behalf of Canadian players should step in politically and represent the Canadian players rights to play for their National side on a world stage.
This is an easy political football but any Federal Govt should want to support. Why don't they? Start making a lot more noise about Canada being shut out of its glory.
The NHL is becoming less and less Canadian every year, we shouldn't act like it's our league or our trophy. It has to do with wanting to protect their assets.

I'm no expert on this, but I believe the league gets nothing for having its players in International tourneys. If the IIHF (that's off memory, maybe wrong organization) wanted to have everyone represented equally they would kick back some to the league. So no reward, and if a player gets injured, depending on who and the severity, that's an incredible risk. From my POV, it has nothing to do with poor old Canadians being under appreciated, it has to do with the IIHF being a crooked organization and the league not wanting to support it for no chance of benefit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Two more articles trashing the Oilers, leafs have been the clown show for so long they've become so petty.

A few fans boo Jake Gardiner and it has become a national crisis taking the top story. Nostrils hasn't scored in 10 games and suddenly the avalanche of articles stating how much better he is than Connor McDavid have stopped out of the Center of the Universe. Nylander takes 2 months off to holdout and has been outscored by Zack Kassian since his return. Zaitsev, he of the $4.5M dollar per year deal has only 2 or 3 points all season, and they have 6 more seasons to go. Traitor Tavares former Islanders are better without him than with him. Leafs aren't outscoring their mistakes anymore.

I wonder if they have decided to cancel their parade yet?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The NHL is becoming less and less Canadian every year, we shouldn't act like it's our league or our trophy. It has to do with wanting to protect their assets.

I'm no expert on this, but I believe the league gets nothing for having its players in International tourneys. If the IIHF (that's off memory, maybe wrong organization) wanted to have everyone represented equally they would kick back some to the league. So no reward, and if a player gets injured, depending on who and the severity, that's an incredible risk. From my POV, it has nothing to do with poor old Canadians being under appreciated, it has to do with the IIHF being a crooked organization and the league not wanting to support it for no chance of benefit.

The Stanley Cup IS our trophy. A fact the NHL seems to need to be reminded of now and again. Hockey is CANADA's major identity and cultural and entertainment export. It isn't just a sport. The NHL could do better in acknowledging that.

Could you imagine if Basketball was the biggest sport in the USA (It isn't, ever) and the NBA kept players from participating in the Olympics all the time?

The world had its latest Winter Olympics and a joke hockey tournament because the NHL is so shortsighted that it can't see that growing the product world wide, and Olympic exposure is as important as anything it does.
The NHL should engage internationally not just for Canada (although its enough of a reason) they should do it to grow the game, their product, and logo. Its idiotic not to.

Reactions: Shathar

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A few fans boo Jake Gardiner and it has become a national crisis taking the top story. Nostrils hasn't scored in 10 games and suddenly the avalanche of articles stating how much better he is than Connor McDavid have stopped out of the Center of the Universe. Nylander takes 2 months off to holdout and has been outscored by Zack Kassian since his return. Zaitsev, he of the $4.5M dollar per year deal has only 2 or 3 points all season, and they have 6 more seasons to go. Traitor Tavares former Islanders are better without him than with him. Leafs aren't outscoring their mistakes anymore.

I wonder if they have decided to cancel their parade yet?
Been saying this for over a calendar year but I can’t wait to hear about all the praise the Leafs get next season after they get hammered by the salary cap this summer.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
On the Picasso article, mostly it seems funny to use the word ‘another’ in the title ... and then have to go all the way back to Marcel Dionne to find an example of a house painter. Great premise for the article :sarcasm: Second, Marcel Dionne had 18 seasons in the league, McDavid is playing in his fourth. That seems like a legit comparison :sarcasm: Third, the business side of hockey has changed a lot in the thirty years between Dionne and McDavid. McDavid will simply go elsewhere to win a SC if the Oilers management/ownership continue to cover themselves with shame. It’s plain as day to everyone.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
On the Picasso article, mostly it seems funny to use the word ‘another’ in the title ... and then have to go all the way back to Marcel Dionne to find an example of a house painter. Great premise for the article :sarcasm: Second, Marcel Dionne had 18 seasons in the league, McDavid is playing in his fourth. That seems like a legit comparison :sarcasm: Third, the business side of hockey has changed a lot in the thirty years between Dionne and McDavid. McDavid will simply go elsewhere to win a SC if the Oilers management/ownership continue to cover themselves with shame. It’s plain as day to everyone.

The plan is already in place. McDavid's contract expires the same year as Tavares. They re-sign Tavares for $1M to play #3C and sign McDavid for a team friendly discount to come home and win the Leaf's 7th cup in 8 years.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Been saying this for over a calendar year but I can’t wait to hear about all the praise the Leafs get next season after they get hammered by the salary cap this summer.

I think Nostrils gets an offer sheet from Arizona at 16M per x 7 and Nostrils will be able to double that with American sponsorship money on the local, state and national level, he is after all a Scottsdale boy. Marner is waiting to see what Nostrils gets but I also think he gets offer sheeted by Carolina at $14M per x 7.

Now before you say Arizona and Carolina cant afford it, Arizona is being sold to a new owner so there will be new capital plus the new owner may want to make one hell of a grand opening. Nostrils is home grown, you are going to easily cover his salary with corporate sponsorships and new season tickets. Failing that they become a much richer sale candidate to an owner in Houston who moves the team.

Carolinas owner is richer than God and is on record stating how much he hates this losing season and while he won't pay for mediocrity, will pay for star offensive talent.

If the Leafs do not sign Nostrils and Marner before July 1 they are going to get f***ed over by offer sheets big time. At least I hope so!

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think Nostrils gets an offer sheet from Arizona at 16M per x 7 and Nostrils will be able to double that with American sponsorship money on the local, state and national level, he is after all a Scottsdale boy. Marner is waiting to see what Nostrils gets but I also think he gets offer sheeted by Carolina at $14M per x 7.

Now before you say Arizona and Carolina cant afford it, Arizona is being sold to a new owner so there will be new capital plus the new owner may want to make one hell of a grand opening. Nostrils is home grown, you are going to easily cover his salary with corporate sponsorships and new season tickets. Failing that they become a much richer sale candidate to an owner in Houston who moves the team.

Carolinas owner is richer than God and is on record stating how much he hates this losing season and while he won't pay for mediocrity, will pay for star offensive talent.

If the Leafs do not sign Nostrils and Marner before July 1 they are going to get ****ed over by offer sheets big time. At least I hope so!

I hope you're right, but I highly doubt they lose both. They'll figure out a way to fit everyone in.

The media in Toronto can be quite awful, but that young group knows they have a good thing going. I'm not a big fan of the city of Toronto, but I bet it's a great place to be when you're part of a winning team.

Carolina's owner seems like a bit of a wild card though and I could see him trying to make a splash or try to screw over another eastern team's salary cap in the process.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hope you're right, but I highly doubt they lose both. They'll figure out a way to fit everyone in.

The media in Toronto can be quite awful, but that young group knows they have a good thing going. I'm not a big fan of the city of Toronto, but I bet it's a great place to be when you're part of a winning team.

Carolina's owner seems like a bit of a wild card though and I could see him trying to make a splash or try to screw over another eastern team's salary cap in the process.

I doubt they lose both but how sweet would it be to see them get royally f***ed up by the cap matching those offer sheets.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

If the Leafs do not sign Nostrils and Marner before July 1 they are going to get ****ed over by offer sheets big time. At least I hope so!
I’m going to preface what I’m about to write by saying I hate this system. I think it’s broken. I won’t get into why now but I have posted about the reasons before.

It’s taken about fourteen years but this system is now starting to work the way it was intended. It was set up to spread talent around the league to the teams that don’t have any from the teams that can’t fit all they have under the cap. Under this system John Tavares was not supposed to go to the Leafs. He was supposed to go somewhere that didn’t have emerging talent on the cusp of finishing their entry level contracts. Because the Leafs signed Tavares, Arizona or Carolina or whomever gets a shot at adding a 22 year emerging superstar instead of an older player who will be on the downside of his career long before that contract is over. I’m certainly not trying to knock Tavares. He’s an elite player but considering the ages of everyone involved, it’s any easy decision for me what I’d rather have.

If that's the choice that Dubas made, that’s fine. He’s the GM and the decision is his. If he wasn’t making a choice and actually believed he could fit everyone in then he’s just as dumb as Chiarelli is. Players haven’t taken discounts to try and win since Toews and Kane signed their deals and he should know that.

I don’t know that the scenario you joked about happens or not but I don’t see any scenario that involves keeping both of those guys that doesn’t seriously gut that team. It’s going to be fun to watch.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I’m going to preface what I’m about to write by saying I hate this system. I think it’s broken. I won’t get into why now but I have posted about the reasons before.

There should be some kind of rule that you're allowed to sign drafted players without it being a cap penalty. Or a rule that say 3-5 core players don't count against the cap. Chicago should've been a much greater team and it's sad to see great teams dismantle themselves because of the cap. A sport with too much parity sometimes feels like an exercise in randomness.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There should be some kind of rule that you're allowed to sign drafted players without it being a cap penalty. Or a rule that say 3-5 core players don't count against the cap. Chicago should've been a much greater team and it's sad to see great teams dismantle themselves because of the cap. A sport with too much parity sometimes feels like an exercise in randomness.
We’ll see what happens with the next CBA. Something has to give even though the experts all say there are no issues. I’d like to see term limits on contracts dropped to five years or even entry level contracts stretched to five years. IMO, too much of the cap right now is being spent on unproven players coming off entry level deals. I’d also like to see the individual cap dropped from 20%. I know nobody has gotten that yet but a drop would lower the bar for everyone.

The owners need these changes to protect themselves from themselves but I can’t see how the players are happy with this system either. Only a small percentage are benefitting from it as their “middle class” keeps shrinking under it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Stanley Cup IS our trophy. A fact the NHL seems to need to be reminded of now and again. Hockey is CANADA's major identity and cultural and entertainment export. It isn't just a sport. The NHL could do better in acknowledging that.

Could you imagine if Basketball was the biggest sport in the USA (It isn't, ever) and the NBA kept players from participating in the Olympics all the time?

The world had its latest Winter Olympics and a joke hockey tournament because the NHL is so shortsighted that it can't see that growing the product world wide, and Olympic exposure is as important as anything it does.
The NHL should engage internationally not just for Canada (although its enough of a reason) they should do it to grow the game, their product, and logo. Its idiotic not to.
Basketball has the benefit of not overlapping with the Summer Olympics.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
House painter who is already better than all other fancy painters and is already highest paid..

Bull shit analogy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Jumbo Joe will probably retire just a great house painter.

Lots of time left for McDavid, but he is certainly painting houses right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad