News Article: McDavid at risk of becoming another NHL Picasso who paints houses

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Might be a great article but Cathay Kelly is an absolute joke of a reporter and I refuse to read anything by him.

So anyone sharing the Cole’s notes is appreciated haha

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
I think a lot of it is true, but I really don't give a **** what the eastern media, still glowing angry from losing out on McDavid, have to say about it.
The problem is there trying to sour Mcdavid on us, plant doubt he'll ever win here. Sure maybe true lol, but that can happen anywhere,

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Lost all little respect I had left for spector, what an idiot
All he did was translate what Pulju said to a Finnish reporter. Was he not supposed to do that?

Spector is dumb 99% of the time but I don't see anything wrong with this one.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not going to debate the merits of what’s in the article because I’ve said many of the same things about the organization myself. What should be noted though is that the Eastern media would likely be saying he’s wasting his career in Edmonton even if this team was winning Stanley Cups. They did with Wayne Gretzky.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's well written by far too polite.
She doesn't even mention how McDavid could just demand to be traded if our organization doesn't begin to practice competence.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
All this Eastern media crap about McDavid.
Not happy enough with Matthews, Tavares etc?

What a pathetic article to write about, not even going to read it. Low hanging fruit and not worth my time. Writer is annoying as hell too.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Paper is the Toronto Globe and Mail. Although anyone can write an article about the brilliance of the management on the Oilers and be right.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
All he did was translate what Pulju said to a Finnish reporter. Was he not supposed to do that?

Spector is dumb 99% of the time but I don't see anything wrong with this one.

Also the Finnish reporter Seppälä is as dumb as they come, best just ignore.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Mcdavid could be doing worse than back to back art ross and ted lindsays. Not to mention drai has turned out to be a major compliment.....one of the best duos in the league.

But imagine how many awards hed win on a real team. All of them!!! And at least one stanley cup threepeat.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The McD article has two basic premises;

1) McD is trapped here, like Dionne in LA, and will be a sad sod when hockey is done because he's on a team not going to playoff soiree's. He's a SC wallflower like Dionne while other Stars are having fun. Cue Cyndi Lauper and change to "Stars just wanna have fun"

2)The NHl is not doing enough to showcase McD by dropping the World Cup and not agreeing to Olympic participation. They are stating that McD needs to be granted the exposure to wear Canada's Maple leaf at major tournaments and that this is the rightful part of any storied players legacy.

The first point is wrong. Dionne was not a worse player than a Lafleur or a Savard. He was playing with an expansion club. None of the first 6 expansion teams had won the cup. Only Philly, but they cheated (I'm being serious) and to compare to Lafleur and Savard who were playing on comparative allstar clubs is innately silly. Dionne was not any failure because he could not drag an expansion club to the playoffs. He was winning scoring races by habit and was consistently viewed as one of the handful of top players in his time. The article is revisionist and dead wrong. Indeed perhaps ironic that even Gretz chose to go to the very same place, LA, to play, because that was a crucial market for the NHL, for his sport. To that end Dionne did more to grow the sport in non hockey markets than any of his contemporaries (exception of Bobby Clarke) did.

Second point is correct, but that falls on the NHL, not the Oilers. We need more NHL/International involvement. The biggest game the "French Connection" arguably ever played was against the Soviet Wings hammering them 12-6 in an unforgettable game. They were the only club (other than the Flyer cheaters) to really dethrone the Soviets (although it wasn't Red Army they were playing a good club and spanked them like nobody else did) Until Buffalo got to a cup final that was arguably one of the biggest moments ever in that franchise.

International tournaments, competition is required for exposure, lifelong memories, growing game etc. Those are moments you don't forget as player or fan.

So there you have it, a fair rundown of the article complete with rebuttal.

Last edited:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
The article on Puljujarvi isn't wrong. It's quite obvious that is happening, he was 100% rushed into the league.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I see nothing wrong with either article. As of now McDavid is wasting his time here, and management is developing JP as poorly as you could. Honestly sounded like JP would welcome a trade, and I wouldn't blame anyone on this team for having that mindset.

The people in here trashing the leafs for not having a cup in the last half century are pretty transparent, and frankly part of the problem here. As of now the leafs are 10x the organization we are. Just because we won a cup more recently (still near 30 years ago) doesn't make us a better organization, and thinking so is the same mindset that has burned our management and team to the ground. And there was very little mention of the leafs in that article, just goes to show they have a spot in your head rent free. Don't be so insecure because our management is shit, having national media members calling this garbage out is a good thing. More pressure and people calling us out will hopefully push Katz hand sooner than later.

We don't want to be poked and prodded through the media, teased about how McD should leave? Then maybe we shouldn't live by the glory days, and stop putting money into the hands of the idiots that caused this mess.

EDIT- and I do want McD to throw on the TC jersey lining up beside Sid. I understand the league's reasoning behind not wanting it though. Hopefully in the next CBA negotiations the players push for Olympics again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->