McDavid and Draisaitl are best duo in league? (Gretzky compares them to Gretzky-Messier)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There were 2 seasons that Mark Messier was better than both Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux in their primes.
And I don't mean just the absurd point total 66 and 99 put up.

If you look back on stats, you would think that to be absolutely ridiculous, but when you watched those games, you knew Messier was the most impactful player in the league for those years (One resulted in a Stanley Cup, the other in a Presidents Trophy).

And it was about as unanimous as it would ever be (98.9% of the votes)
1991-92 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Draisaitl being called better than McDavid isn't a slight on McDavids scoring, but that he's just been a lot more important for the identity of the team, and the wins we've been churning out.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Draisatl’s play away from McDavid is irrelevant to me, because we have the option to play him with McDavid.

Why does it matter if he scores 0 points in 82 games away from McDavid, when we can just play him WITH him and he can dominate?

8.5m for a 50/50 guy is a steal regardless of who he’s playing with.

And if McDavid goes down, I doubt Draisatl’s going to disappear. People forgot about how hard he dominated in the playoffs away from McDavid.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
There were 2 seasons that Mark Messier was better than both Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux in their primes.
And I don't mean just the absurd point total 66 and 99 put up.

If you look back on stats, you would think that to be absolutely ridiculous, but when you watched those games, you knew Messier was the most impactful player in the league for those years (One resulted in a Stanley Cup, the other in a Presidents Trophy).

And it was about as unanimous as it would ever be (98.9% of the votes)
1991-92 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com

Draisaitl being called better than McDavid isn't a slight on McDavids scoring, but that he's just been a lot more important for the identity of the team, and the wins we've been churning out.
Lemieux was far and away the best player in the world in 1992, come on now. He just only played 64 games. Hart does not mean best player.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lemieux was far and away the best player in the world in 1992, come on now. He just only played 64 games. Hart does not mean best player.

Yeah that was a weird voting year. I think Lemieux had taken the crown from Gretz right around that time.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Nobody is a 100 point player "on his own". You guys need to stop saying that.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Nobody is a 100 point player "on his own". You guys need to stop saying that.
Missed it by 7 points.
taylor-hall-2019-51.jpg

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yeah that was a weird voting year. I think Lemieux had taken the crown from Gretz right around that time.
Getting off topic but imo it was 88-89, his 199 point season. From then on Gretzky won art rosses only if Lemieux was injured.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
its the New Jagr Lemiuex combo.

Draisatl’s play away from McDavid is irrelevant to me, because we have the option to play him with McDavid.

Why does it matter if he scores 0 points in 82 games away from McDavid, when we can just play him WITH him and he can dominate?

8.5m for a 50/50 guy is a steal regardless of who he’s playing with.

And if McDavid goes down, I doubt Draisatl’s going to disappear. People forgot about how hard he dominated in the playoffs away from McDavid.

exactly. Also McDavid will probably have fewer points himself if his linemate was someone else other then Drai. If it works just leave it the way it is (Drai and Mcjesus together)
the objectve is to win the game and if them together gets the teams a bunch of goals do it.

Slapshot18

Dec 20, 2010
The 3 of them also have less points combined (31) than McDrai (32) do without even factoring in that Kassian has another 6 points on that line. Cap hit isn’t the be all end all

Points are not the end all be all. Playoff victories are.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I disagree strongly. Draisaitl needs to show he's an actual 1st line NHL Centre before he can be compared to Malkin.

Right now the Oilers have the best Centre in the league and a great Winger. I prefer 2 great 1st line Centres. See Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthew's.
Draisaitl please more center than McDavid does.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

exactly. Also McDavid will probably have fewer points himself if his linemate was someone else other then Drai. If it works just leave it the way it is (Drai and Mcjesus together)
the objectve is to win the game and if them together gets the teams a bunch of goals do it.

But They skipped past the cup years and are now "dying alive"

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Are if they are is it as clear cut as Sid and Geno in their prime days? If they are not, who is better. And if it's not clear cut who else is close?

For instance is Kucherov/Stamkos close?
Sid and Malkin were always solo

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Lemieux and Jagr mostly played on separate lines. Only 96-97 and 00-01 they were together. Jagr also won 4 art rosses while Lemieux was retired. Not the same at all.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
they have played together at end of games
Malkin-Crosby-Kessel
I wouldn't call them a duo if they share the ice occasionally.
Eric Clapton and George Harrison played together a bunch of times. No one thinks they're a duo.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I wouldn't call them a duo if they share the ice occasionally.
Eric Clapton and George Harrison played together a bunch of times. No one thinks they're a duo.
on the pp at least always together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad