McDavid and Draisaitl are best duo in league? (Gretzky compares them to Gretzky-Messier)

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Yes he is

Draisaitl has been the better overall player so far this year. McDavid has actually been shaking off a fair bit of rust. His point total doesn't really reflect the level of his play, game in game out. Not that he still isn't completely unplayable at times, but he's definitely not as sharp overall as he can be.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Yes he is

Draisaitl has been a horse this year great D a regular on PK (why his minutes are so high) and of course scoring. Many of his “McPoints” are McD just getting him the puck on break out and Drai plowing the rest of the way up ice

I do not want to diminish McD obviously 17 points no accident but Drai has been the one scoring or setting up at clutch times like when they need a tie goal he has been the hammer to McDs scalpel

Reactions: snipes

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
People have to be reminded about drai production away from Connor. There was literally a poll where people were asking who is better oilers wingers vs waiver pick ups (which almost none got picked up) and the oilers lost in the poll.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
People have to be reminded about drai production away from Connor. There was literally a poll where people were asking who is better oilers wingers vs waiver pick ups (which almost none got picked up) and the oilers lost in the poll.

I believe Drai had 6 pints in the three games McD missed i a row last year or something like that he is able to drive offense too just did not have to last year

this season though we are seeing him play with that urgency WITH McDavid and it is scary to watch

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
It’s all conjecture and what ifs right now. Until the Oilers separate them onto different lines, can anyone truly say for certain that they are the best 1-2 in the league? That is, if that’s what the OP wanted.

As terms of best 1-2 punch on a line, yes of course they are after what they did last year. But as far as being separated, no one knows how Drai would do having to carry a line by himself.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
It’s all conjecture and what ifs right now. Until the Oilers separate them onto different lines, can anyone truly say for certain that they are the best 1-2 in the league? That is, if that’s what the OP wanted.

As terms of best 1-2 punch on a line, yes of course they are after what they did last year. But as far as being separated, no one knows how Drai would do having to carry a line by himself.

when the question best “duo” why the f do they need to be split up? Do you know what a duo is?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Duo.

I'm not sure if it's just me or does best duo mean best two together...

This isn't a thread about who can run their own lines. Or who the best 1/2 centers. Those are other threads.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
when the question best “duo” why the f do they need to be split up? Do you know what a duo is?

Calm down buddy. No reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Simply thought the OP meant that what he meant by “duo” are two guys carrying their own lines.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Calm down buddy. No reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Simply thought the OP meant that what he meant by “duo” are two guys carrying their own lines.
I mean 1-2 punch. But when I reference Sid-Geno I refer to them in the end of games when the coach used to throw in the towel and ice a line of Malkin-Crosby-Kessel which was downright scary.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean 1-2 punch. But when I reference Sid-Geno I refer to them in the end of games when the coach used to throw in the towel and ice a line of Malkin-Crosby-Kessel which was downright scary.

They simply aren’t better than Malkin and Crosby back in the day.

Those two did it on their own. Can’t even begin to try and compare those two sets. Simply because no one knows how they perform away from each other, in Drai and McDavids case. McDavid would be fine but I’m not sure what Drai would do.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I disagree strongly. Draisaitl needs to show he's an actual 1st line NHL Centre before he can be compared to Malkin.

Right now the Oilers have the best Centre in the league and a great Winger. I prefer 2 great 1st line Centres. See Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthew's.

Lol. Draisaitl is much better than Tavares and Matthews. He's Crosby level right now

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
I disagree strongly. Draisaitl needs to show he's an actual 1st line NHL Centre before he can be compared to Malkin.

Right now the Oilers have the best Centre in the league and a great Winger. I prefer 2 great 1st line Centres. See Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthew's.
Tavares and Mathews? lol Mathews isn't even a top 15 player in the league lol Mcdavid and drai and easily the best duo in hockey and it isn't even close lol look at the stats last year and this year .

Last edited:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Tavares and Matthews are not at the level of the other 4.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes, easily. Draisaitl has been the best player in the NHL so far this year as well. Just a ****ing horse.

Next would be MacKinnon/Rantanen and Bergeron/Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad