McDavid and Draisaitl are best duo in league? (Gretzky compares them to Gretzky-Messier)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Are if they are is it as clear cut as Sid and Geno in their prime days? If they are not, who is better. And if it's not clear cut who else is close?

For instance is Kucherov/Stamkos close?

“You can see that now with the two of them,” he went on to say about McDavid and Draisaitl. “They’re very unselfish with each other — they have no egos — and as important as Connor is to Leon, Leon is to Connor. A lot like Mark [Messier] and I were.”

Wayne Gretzky compares McDavid, Draisaitl to himself, Mark Messier

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Are if they are is it as clear cut as Sid and Geno in their prime days? If they are not, who is better. And if it's not clear cut who else is close?

Last year they were and it looks they will be this year and moving forward.

They are just getting into their prime. It's crazy to think how much better these 2 could actually get.

@Paperbagofglory

Leon is not in McDavid's shadow. No more than Geno is anyways.

He has actually been the better of the two this year.

Overall statistically and by my opinion McDavid actually benefits more from Draisaitl than visa versa.

But they are a dynamic duo to date not carrying their own line. So far anyways.

Reactions: Zaddy

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Bias aside, it's pretty obvious that they are. 1 half of the duo is widely considered the best player in hockey and the other one scored 50 goals and 105 pts last season. They just need playoff success to cement their status.

The problem is Malkin does not need to play on Sid's line to get credit. I am worried Leon's accomplishments will be greatly overshadowed by who he plays with.

I wish the Oilers had enough depth to spread those 2 out, they would actually be the best team in the league easily if they could do it successfully.
Re-acquire Taylor Hall = profit

RNH - McDavid - Neal
Hall - Drai - Chiasson/Kassian

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

They are just getting into their prime. It's crazy to think how much better these 2 could actually get.

@Paperbagofglory

Overall statistically and by my opinion McDavid actually benefits more from Draisaitl than visa versa.

Malkin enjoyed success away from Crosby as a linemate, this is the huge difference.

Is Draisaitl a 70 or 100 point player on his own?

Reactions: viceroy

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Bias aside, it's pretty obvious that they are. 1 half of the duo is widely considered the best player in hockey and the other one scored 50 goals and 105 pts last season. They just need playoff success to cement their status.

Re-acquire Taylor Hall = profit

RNH - McDavid - Neal
Hall - Drai - Chiasson/Kassian

Cap space my mortal enemy.

Reactions: Lepardi

illpucks

May 26, 2011

@Paperbagofglory

would you consider kucherov/stamkos close to them?

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Draisaitl with any top 6 winger is at least a ppg player. Draisaitl with a top line winger is a 90 point player. Draisaitl with McDavid is a 100+ point player.

My opinion.

Tgis Drai though is a different beast not only is he making himself a easy target for McDavid but he is driving play by himself it is incredible to watch him just take over and will the puck in

I think he is a 110 player this year McD around 130

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Draisaitl with any top 6 winger is at least a ppg player. Draisaitl with a top line winger is a 90 point player. Draisaitl with McDavid is a 100+ point player.

I disagree strongly. Draisaitl needs to show he's an actual 1st line NHL Centre before he can be compared to Malkin.

Right now the Oilers have the best Centre in the league and a great Winger. I prefer 2 great 1st line Centres. See Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthew's.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I disagree strongly. Draisaitl needs to show he's an actual 1st line NHL Centre before he can be compared to Malkin.

Right now the Oilers have the best Centre in the league and a great Winger. I prefer 2 great 1st line Centres. See Crosby/Malkin or Tavares/Matthew's.

Draisaitl has never in his career had a winger the caliber of Guentzel/Hornqvist/Nylander/Marner when away from McDavid, though. Nor will be anytime soon. You’re asking for a literal impossibility - go be a 1C with sub replacement level wingers the likes of which *maybe* only
Crosby in his early seasons has ever had to elevate.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

The funny thing is the center you could be talking about is Draisaitl and the winger is McDavid.

Currently Draisaitl is providing more of the center role on their line. Has been for a long time.

This thread is about duo's so your opinion is fine just completely irrelevant.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Have only lost one game compared to their six wins. Nobody saw this coming into the year, that’s for sure.

Just how good has the pair’s start been? Well, the two stars alone have a combined 32 points. The rest of the team has a combined 45 points.

It’s the best statistical start to a season since Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr came out of the gates on fire way back in 1995.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby/Malkin are 32/33 now, so yea Mcdavid/Drai are the best duo in the league, at least in the regular season. I still take the pens duo for the playoffs.

That said, what made the Crosby/Malkin duo so special (and what has made the pens so good) is they carry their own lines. Malkin has multiple art rosses and won it easily in a year Crosby was injured the whole year. Not sure Draisaitl is quite that caliber away from Mcdavid.

Crosby and Malkin are the top 2 centers of their generation, #1 and #2 in ppg among active players (not counting Mcdavid), and #1 and #2 in ppg in the playoffs (only active players to average more than 1 ppg in the playoffs). Mcdavid is certainly pacing for #1 of his, but waay too early to say that for Draisaitl. He needs to win hardware head to head against Mcdavid to be compared to a peak Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad